Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
I recently joined a hunting lease that does not allow screw-in tree steps so I need some advice from users on some good secure and lightweight strap-on tree steps, I have zero experience with these so any practical advice will be appreciated.......Ladder stand's are out of the question as the terrain of this lease is extremely steep and rugged, I will need to pack these steps for a mile or more to get into some of My stand sites......Thanks Hb

GB1

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I use Lone Wolf climbing sticks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Va-
Are you inquiring about an actual single step with a step/rope attached or lightweight climbing sticks with multiple steps on each section?

If the latter, will you be hauling/setting up for each hunt or purchasing multiple sets to leave in place?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Skane, those are very good questions...I am interested in the multiple step strap-on type steps not the singles....I will purchase enough step's to hang 2 stands (thats all we are allowed per hunter on the lease) at 25ft....I will be moving them through the season as I try and pinpoint My target bucks........Hb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gotchya.

You have quite a few options then. And some of it depends of tree shape too.
My thoughts below will skew more safety than convenience. I took a fall from a tree some 20 years ago that should have seriously crippled me (or worse) so "lightweight" is further down the totem pole for me. whistle

Lone Wolf, Muddy and API (probably others) make seemingly the same thing for multiple steps that don't connect to one another. They're nice because they'll work with irregular shaped trees.
My preference (and take this for what you paid for it), are the Non-Typical Rapid Rails (aluminum). They're a little bulkier/clumsier but they provide far more metal to hang onto.

If the trees are of the straight variety, I much prefer heavier and sections that fit into one another for both stability and ease of installation on the tree. They're easily assembled on the ground, stood up and can be secured as you climb. Yes, more weight to initially pack in but if you're used to ladders stands, this option will feel much more sturdy/safer. I don't worry about brand names for this purpose - I just want the ability to add additional length to the originally purchased set. Also, I much prefer the sticks that do not have the staggered step but a rung on both sides of the vertical post at the same height.

One other thing to consider (likely stating something you already know) - make sure you have enough stick to climb above your stand to step down onto the platform. I have a friend or two that love to put their stands well above the last rung on the stick, then turn gymnast to get onto the platform - no thank you. eek

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B2

N
ndm Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
^^^^^^^This ^^^^^^^^

Good advice from SKane, Always use your safety equipment and add an extra ratchet strap or chain to the stand. We strap the ladders and stands to cheap plastic sleds and drag them into remote areas. Be careful, if it's hard to get your equipment in, it's not going to be easy to get you out if you fall.

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Thanks for the great advice guy's, I will get and about and check some of these options out......Hb

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 163bc, 51 invisible), 2,235 guests, and 1,139 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,606
Posts18,454,857
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.