Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I had a thumbhole target 10-22 set up with a Jard trigger, Volquartsen barrel. I wasn't using it; it had been sitting in the safe for over 10 years. I wasn't too enthralled with the Jard. It had a lot of take up, although pretty smooth. Well, I took it apart and started adjusting it. It's well made, very simple with few parts. You can adjust sear engagment as well as disconnector engagement. I got it to a really nice 2# pull with just a touch of take up. Didn't want to minimize sear engagement too much.

With the Jard, you can't engage the safety and cock the hammer, the trigger must move to engage the sear, unlike the Ruger. It has very few moving parts, unlike the Ruger. The sear and trigger are one piece, not a series of parts. That makes for a great trigger pull, just with some quirks. You cycle the bolt, cocking the hammer, apply the safety, ensert the clip, chamber a round and you're in business. I like the larger trigger guard and rear safety.

I replaced the heavy target stock with a Hoque rubber coated stock from Brownells. I'd seen them, never worked with one. For the price, they're pretty impressive. The Hogue was inletted for the Ruger OEM fire control unit, not the Jard. The Dremel fixed that in short order.

I already had this VX-2 3-9x40 CDS, so I mounted it with med Weavers. I like it.

I'm gonna get these folks (http://customturretsystems.com/my-labels/builder/) to make a ballistic tape for my current favorite hunting ctg, the Federal Game Shok, 38 gr. HP. B.C. is .131, MV is 1260 fps, 50 yds/1110 fps, 100 yds/1010 fps. With a 50 yd. zero, it's down 5.5" at a hundred, 19.5" at 150 yds. Now who would want to shoot a .22LR at 150 yds. Me, maybe on a still day, just for the heck of it. Maybe 200 yds., depending on max reading at one full revolution of the CDS. The tape is a lot cheaper than a dedicated turret.

Even though the VX-2 has a std. 100 yd. parallax setting, unlike rimfire scopes with a 50 yd. setting, I think it'll be OK. I could send it back for parallax reset, but don't think that's going to be necessary.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Volquartsen brake.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 05/12/17.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Man, I like that. Hogue stocks don't get a lot of love here, but I like them. I have one on a 10/22 magnum and another on a Howa. I also like the way the bell of that scope looks sitting right on top of the barrel.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yep, that scope objective barely has enough room for the Butler Creek lens covers. I may have to sand the bottom of the Butler Creek to clear the barrel, I've done that before.

For sure, Hogue isn't super cool, but for the cost, pretty decent handle.

I was wondering what it weighed all up, put it on the scales: 7# 9 oz, which isn't bad. It feel solid, holds steady. My newly tweaked Jard is very nice. I'm wondering why I didn't take time back in the day, to adjust it. Those triggers have gotten expensive since I bought mine, around 2 bills from what I'm seeing. I sure didn't pay that. Someone wrote that the newer Jards were made cheap. I don't know. This one is around 10 yrs. old, is well designed and nicely crafted.

I had shot this gun in the other stock, the Volquartsen barrel is very accurate. I put Volquartsen in the top tier of aftermarket 10-22 barrels.

DF

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Nice piece. Nice to see something different. Here's mine with a Clark barrel, Volquartsen trigger, Midway/Fajen stock with Ahlman's checkering and basic Nikon 4X. Crazy accurate with Aguila Pistol Match ammunition. I have a Weaver 2-7X I intend to swap on to it.

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
That is very nice. I like it.

DF

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Also like Hogue stocks. This one's aTony Kidd 10/22 barreled action dropped into a Hogue Overmolded I've posted pics of before here. Bedded action, floated, barrel, Kidd 2-stage trigger.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Nice.

How do you like the scope?

DF

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Truthfully DF, I wish I liked it more. Good FOV, decent clarity for the money. Struggle with the eye box. Even with that, the gun shoots dime size holes or less consistently. Only paid $114 for the scope. Heck, QR Leupold rings were half that. Might work just fine for somebody younger with better vision.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Well it looks nice.

Those 10-22's with good aftermarket barrels usually shoot very well.

Ed mentioned a Clark barrel. They are very good.

IIRC, Clark uses Walther barrels. I have one with a suppressor that's a hoot to shoot and very accurate. It's the one I mentioned with a Ruger fire control assembly I built with Clark and Volquartsen parts. Until I recently tweaked the Jard, this was my best 10-22 trigger. Now, it's gonna be close.

DF

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Nice rifles guys. I was at a shoot the other day and got to watch a guy cuss at his Volquartsen custom rifle. It was funny, he was pissed because it would not eject a live round. Had to "fire to clear" every time.... He said his GM barrel was the same way, but replaced the extractor spring and cured it. He said he thought that would fix the Volquartsen too, but no go... DF, have you had any problems like this with your Volquartsen barrel???

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I just refinished the stock on my '67 standard.
Off to the range to see how it shoots..........Mother's Day.................hopefully the range is empty.

Sold my Fingergroove. That one shot pretty darn good, best of the half dozen or so 10/22s I've had.

If the standard doesn't shoot for chit, will get a GM bbl and Victor stock.
If it shoots halfway decent it's a rig for the kids to use.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by EdM
Nice piece. Nice to see something different. Here's mine with a Clark barrel, Volquartsen trigger, Midway/Fajen stock with Ahlman's checkering and basic Nikon 4X. Crazy accurate with Aguila Pistol Match ammunition. I have a Weaver 2-7X I intend to swap on to it.

[Linked Image]

I like that stock very much. Don't think anything available now looks as good as that.
Some just have the comb/cheekpiece at an odd step.

That stock is perfect!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Another somewhat unique 10-22.

Many moons ago, I ran across a guy walking the isles at a local gun show, packing this 10-22. I gave him a C note.

I added a Clark (Walther) barrel, had it cut and threaded for a can, rebuilt the fire control unit with Volquartsen and Clark parts, added a trigger stop, glassed it, refinished the stock, recut the checkering. Notice how I set the Redfield base back to accommodate the short ER of the Compact series 3-9 EFR

I've considered it my best trigger job until I tackled the Jard mentioned in the OP. Those two are now pretty close.

It's really quiet, you hear the bolt cycle and the bullet strike. That's about all.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by hookeye
I just refinished the stock on my '67 standard.
Off to the range to see how it shoots..........Mother's Day.................hopefully the range is empty.

Sold my Fingergroove. That one shot pretty darn good, best of the half dozen or so 10/22s I've had.

If the standard doesn't shoot for chit, will get a GM bbl and Victor stock.
If it shoots halfway decent it's a rig for the kids to use.

LOL...............Jeep died halfway to range. Idler took out belt, which wiped out PS pulley and overheated (cracking T flush fitting).
Called pops, he got me, went and got some little pipe at Rural King (and coolant).
Went back and joined the hoses, filled it up and ran it home (no PS or waterpump).
Never got close to overheating..........was into the wind and almost non stop.

$110 (coolant, pulley and pump) and it's back on the road. Finished by flashlight in corner of my mouth.
Had spare idler and belt from my old dead Jeep.

Royally honked me off, only day off..................wasted.

Pops said he's dumping his 1100 Trap. Said for me to get it. Told him I'd buy it. He got mad. I'll fetch it and sell my reg 1100 and toss in the diff.
Only plus for the day.

Last edited by hookeye; 05/14/17.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Very classy looking setup!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Nice rifles guys. I was at a shoot the other day and got to watch a guy cuss at his Volquartsen custom rifle. It was funny, he was pissed because it would not eject a live round. Had to "fire to clear" every time.... He said his GM barrel was the same way, but replaced the extractor spring and cured it. He said he thought that would fix the Volquartsen too, but no go... DF, have you had any problems like this with your Volquartsen barrel???

No problem. I may not have tried every possible ammo, but with what I've used, not an issue.

The only such problem I ever had was with a 40X sporter, a rather rare gun with clip, not the more common single shot. That gun must have had a very tight match chamber, would stick about any ammo I tried. It was almost as accurate as my Cooper, ultimately went down the road, currently worth nearly twice my trading value back then. I don't look back. If I don't like one, it travels. Still have the Cooper.

DF

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Really cool 10-22 sporter that came to me the way you see it.
Green Mountain barrel, Jard trigger group and an aftermarket stock meant for an adult, manufacturer unknown.
I added a surprisingly good Bass Pro 4-12 AO and I was off to the races.

It shoots CCI subsonic like they were match ammo. At least at 25 yards, and cycles them without a hitch.
I don't know what else it likes - that's the only ammo I've ever run through it.

Picked it up used at my local store when a man came in who was getting out of some nice guns to buy a house, which I think we can all understand.
This rifle has changed my mind about 10-22's, and I consider myself lucky to have been in the right place at the right time.

[Linked Image]

Now to try some real target ammo in it... And maybe upgrade to a Kidd 2 stage someday

Last edited by kragman1; 05/16/17.

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That stock looks to be of Fajen flavor to me. Or maybe it was just inspired by them.
Nice looking rig.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Kragman..
I know who made the stock on your gun.
About 10 years ago there was aan OEM STOCK manufacturer in Misouri called SK manufacturing that had large contracts to make stocks for Remington and a few other large mfgs for many years. Turns out they had been building Remingtons 700,541 and 870 walnut stocks for many years.
Anyway..They were eventually bought out by Remingron , but before they were the made a few runs of 10/22 sporter stocks like yours with the funky light colored gripcap ans forend tips(which I believe is Babinga)
The lineage of your stock relating to Remingtons tooling is look how close your stocks checkering pattern is to the Rem 541T checkering patterns..nearly identical.

Whoever put your rifle together knew what they were doing..Nice choice of parts..

Last edited by jk16; 05/16/17.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Good info. It does look like Rem checkering.

Kragman, tweak that Jard before you swap it out. It's not that hard to do and the results can be very rewarding.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 05/16/17.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 06hunter59, 55 invisible), 2,465 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,242
Posts18,466,847
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.