24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Twitch Offline OP
OP Offline
Wives don't appreciate degreasing elk skulls in the laundry room utility sink...
[Linked Image]

BP-B2

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Would she rather have you do it in the kitchen sink?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
or the bathtub?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
When we were first married, I boiled a deer skull on the stove in the kitchen. Took a little time to get over that one.

If you hunt with your kids. You should not have to hunt for your kids.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

Rendering bear fat on our kitchen stove strained our relationship a tad.

Eventually, we compromised ... I would render the umpteen pounds of fat outside on the Coleman stove and she would cook human (and dog) food on the stove.

Later, the little woman killed one hell of a bear ... a fat one ... and things changed a bit.

Strange about that grin

kd

IC B2

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Kududude,
Just curious, what do you use rendered bear fat for? I'm not a bear hunter so I don't know anything about it. Don't mean to derail the thread.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looks good to me.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
well women all their, demand...do what you have to do but keep them happy;

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
As long as your clean up your mess... and do not destroy things in the doing... they should be quiet.... as it is your home also ! And then the fight began.... LOL ! HH

Last edited by Hungry Horse; 05/12/17.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by wyowinchester
When we were first married, I boiled a deer skull on the stove in the kitchen. Took a little time to get over that one.

Done that! In her favorite " candy pan ". Thought it was going to be the world's shortest marriage. 36 years ago.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

Originally Posted by JayJunem
Kududude,
Just curious, what do you use rendered bear fat for? I'm not a bear hunter so I don't know anything about it. Don't mean to derail the thread.

Easy. Put a bunch of fat in a large kettle and turn on the heat. The clear stuff will appear and that's what you put in jars to save. There is a "residue" that is seemingly identical to pork "cracklings" and it's absolutely delicious to eat.

The process of heating the fat stinks a mite grin

kd

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
No foul, play on.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JayJunem
Kududude,
I ran across this item on using bear far. Be sure your wife reads it carefully, especially the part about using it instead of lard for making soap. How do we live without it?

Bear fat is probably one of the most versatile substances known in north America. The early Europeans used it, the native Americans used it centuries long before the first white ever set foot on this soil.

Don't overlook this addition to your survival kills or the yummy addition of making the best pie crusts or pastries you'll probably ever bake. I'm jumping ahead here.

As any bear hunter will attest to, even an average sized blackie will have a couple inches fat on it if the year hasn't been too dry and their food sources were plentiful.

There are some guidelines I've always used in regard to using bear fat. The main one is, don't take a bear that's been feeding all summer on fish if your main goal is using for cooking and baking. Man, but it may end up stinking like dead fish, and the meat may also, and the fat for sure.

Try to get away from the fish filled bears and try for a berry fed one. I'm not saying all coastal or salmon run fed bears will not have good fat or meat, I'm just saying in my experience, the ones full of berries and other vegetation taste, and certainly, smell better.

So what can you use bear fat for besides cooking?
1. to condition and waterproof and treat leathers
2. oiling down your gun and other mechanical parts in emergencies
3. a skin ointment for minor burns, chapped or dry skin.
4. it has even been used to prevent head lice by working it into the hair because the nits can't stick to it for long term, hardcore, survival situations
5. you can use it to make small dish candles - put it in a tuna can, roll up some cloth strips and make you a little wick, light it and it'll burn just like a little oil lantern will.
6. mixed with good medicinal herbs, it can be applied to treats insect bites, cuts, scrapes and other injuries.
7. makes a good fire starter if it's raining
8. use it to make soap in place of pig lard
9. use it as a barter item
10. use to feed your pets or stock.

So nature provides yet another multi-useful item.

Once bear fat is rendered down, it can be stored in just about anything, doesn't have to be refrigerated, can be frozen and still keeps it's consistency when thawed.

It can also be rendered down lower to produce a good oil with same and similar uses.

It'll pay to remember bear fat as a good addition to your backwoods knowledge chest.

― George Orwell

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

Rock Chuck,

I agree totally on all counts. Finest leather dressing there is and great for pies and such.

One more use: I've occasionally given a pint jar or two to friends who are into the teepee/pioneer reenactment thing. They really love using bear grease as a bullet patch lube and for waterproofing their muzzleloaders. Hey, it's authentic and I've gotten several "manhugs" for such a gift.

kd

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Rock Chuck and Kududude,

Thanks for the bear fat info, fellas. That's interesting.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Try to get the wife going on using bear fat for everything, including head lice, and a REAL fight might start.

― George Orwell

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
My wife wasn't pleased when I used her "drink cooler" either..

[Linked Image]

Golden............
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Hey Twitch--goes for Mom's too.
A young friend of mine, in the early days of his taxidermy trade, was still living at home with his folks.
I came to help him with some reloading, and as he was in the basement, he called for me to come on down to his loading bench.
As I entered I noticed a strong odor emanating from the kitchen(ie. to gag a maggot).
He had an antelope skull boiling full tilt on the stove in one of his moms large stew pans.
His mom arrived shortly thereafter...I departed shortly thereafter.
He got better later.
cool

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Bear grease was the best muzzle loader patch lube I've ever used.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Welcome to the fire Twitch..

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
657 members (1lessdog, 2500HD, 257 mag, 17CalFan, 22magnut, 10gaugemag, 71 invisible), 2,732 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,648
Posts18,399,108
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.