Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by watch4bear
Manufacturers don't make a precision guarantee

Could the scarring on the bullet from the lands and grooves affect bullet flight?

Of COURSE it does,....and rifling direction ( Right or left) rules that phenomena, before wind even entersin, ....which it does.

Look at a Buffington Sight on a Trapdoor Springfield, and go figger.

Rick's right,....there's been a LOT of knowledge lost along the way.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
That corkscrew flight is a design feature. It prolongs the bullets surface to flesh contact patch and thus imparts more dynamic force. It also transfers rotational force to the viscous internal structures of the game animal, resulting in greater hydrostatic shock.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by denton
does a bullet rise above the line of the bore after leaving the barrel?

It's a common question.

The forces that act on an aircraft are gravity, drag, lift, and propulsion. Because you have lift and propulsion, an aircraft can rise. The external forces acting on the bullet after it leaves the barrel are just gravity and drag. There is no lift, and no internal source of propulsion.

Per the discussion of the bullet corkscrewing through the air, I suppose that you might construct a situation where a bullet momentarily gets a few thousandths of an inch above the bore line for an instant. But in general, the answer to your question is no.

Magnus effect. Side wind. Please discuss.

D
denton Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Magnus effect. Side wind. Please discuss.

As far as I understand the Magnus Effect, it applies to a spinning object whose axis of rotation is across its trajectory. Since the axis of a spinning bullet is along the trajectory, I don't think that Magnus Effect from forward motion of the bullet is important.

You might argue that wind blowing across the trajectory satisfies the conditions for the Magnus Effect, and it does, but the effect is too small and in the wrong direction to account for vertical wind drift.

Ordinary wind drift is mostly horizontal, but also has a smaller vertical component. The vertical component is from a vertical component of the drag vector, not the Magnus Effect, though you will get hot debate on that from some quarters.

That takes it to the limit of my understanding. Or maybe beyond.

Last edited by denton; 04/21/17.

Be not weary in well doing.
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Old farts that have been shooting rifles two days before the dirt got here know this stuff!

They're called RIFLE CRANKS!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by denton

Question 3. Is this effect important to most of us? No. From page 192:
So what are the practical effects of GS [gyroscope stability] on accuracy? Well it is important to realize that the bullet is traveling in a corkscrew motion about the trajectory when it is coning...For a .2 degree angle of attack the radius of the corkscrew motion will be about .009 inches for a GS of 2.98. By the time the bullet reaches 200 yards the angular motion has damped so that the radius of the corkscrew motion is only .003 inches.

Bryan Litz's money (he issued a challenge for anyone to show a rifle more accurate at 200 yards than at 100) is probably safe unless someone with a lot of patience and a superbly accurate rail gun chooses to compete for it.

Sounds like all the fuss is about a factor that while true in theory, is so small it gets lost in much larger errors caused by other factors. Like most of the things that provoke internet arguments.

Good luck eliminating every other source of error so the 6 thousandths of an inch difference becomes apparent.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, that was my thought.

I also just reread this thread and strongly suspect some who've posted are confusing spin-drift with the "corkscrew" effect.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

396 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 1minute, 16penny, 12savage, 45 invisible), 2,805 guests, and 1,107 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,580
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.