Print Thread
Hop To
D
drover Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Yesterday was a grand day. My favorite shooting partner (my wife) and I went ground squirrel shooting, perfect conditions - no wind, 70 - 75 degs, sunny, and the pups were up, for those of you not familiar with ground squirrels the pup are just slightly larger than your thumb.
We were out seven hours and I shot 200 rounds of 223, and between the two of us we shot 850 rounds of 22 l.r. 1050 round day - how much fun is that!!!
I would be back out today but I have rifles that desperately need cleaning and I need to reload a few hundred more 223, I didn't get my fill of centerfire shooting yet. The pups are a challenge at 100 - 200 yds but not as much fun as the adults because they just disappear with a hit where with the adults you get the airborne acrobatics.

It looks like our weather is taking a downturn in temps so I probably will have to wait a few days before being out again.

p.s. I did use up some of the Remington Golden Bullets I purchased during the 22 l.r. shortage, and as reported they were very dirty and quite a few fail to fires,some did not even work when trying a different rim location for the firing pin strike, it is easy to see why so many are down on them.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

BP-B2

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Good day😀 I haven't been able to shoot for a couple days, and we have a trip to my stepdaughter 's for the next 6 days.. No shooting for gophers there😢 My best day was last week, I usually don't shoot all day anymore. Went out for 3 hours and 15 minutes and shot 235 gophers.. Used my CZ & yellowjackets... Haven't shot my.223 or 222.. Have a couple spots that are perfect for them, but they are doing some work in the fields,so no shooting for a day.. Probably when I get back the grass will be too high to use the centerfires😤 But the 22's will still get a bunch. I have quite a bit of the Remington ammo, and really have had very few problems w/ it.. Maybe I am just lucky. I have decided to use it in my pistols for plinking.. Have a lot of cci ammo for gophers.. Have a good one and keep us up to date!

Molon Labe
D
drover Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Too bad that you are going to miss some prime shooting time but family needs to come first.

We had very few gophers in this area, it used to be gopher hunting not gopher shooting like it is now. That all changed about 15 years ago when most of the ranches started changing from flood irrigating or wheel lines to center pivots, once the center pivots came on the scene the gopher population literally grew by the tens of thousands. Now from around the first of April until around the first to middle of July I have all of the shooting a person could want. If I go about 50 miles away to a higher elevation I have shot as late as mid-August there, not as many but they are the larger Columbian ground squirrels there.

Weather is starting to turn colder and windier here, according to the forecast it will be a week before it is going to be decent enough to bring them up in any great numbers again.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Drover: Myself and my long time Big Game and Varmint Hunting partner were out yesterday and we cranked off over 800+ rounds of rimfire ammo out of 8 different Rifles and pistols.
Our kill rate was VERY high due to no wind conditions and the ranches we were Hunting on wanted the "Gophers gone"! Thus we plinked them even when they were quite close in.
Wind is howling today so day off to chase guns.
Glad you and the Mrs. enjoyed the day and each other!
I shot these:
#1: Ruger Deluxe 10/22 with Lilja long heavy stainless barrel and 6x24 power scope
#2: Ruger 77/22 Varmint/Target with Weaver V-16 4x16 power variable scope
#3: Browning T-Bolt Varmint in 22 Magum with Weaver V-16 4x16 variable scope
#4: Kimber Model 17 SVT (Silhouette/Varmint/Target) in 17 Mach2 with Leupold 6.5x20 E.F.R. scope
#5: Ruger 77/17 Varmint/Target with Weaver V-16 4x16 power variable scope
Get out again soon with your Mrs. - good for you two's!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Keep after them.. I used my CZ, 10/22, marlin 39d.. Also my old 521T.. It does a fine job w/ CCl but doesn't shoot yellowjackets or stingers very well.. the CZ & 513T shoot every thing well .. The 513 also has a 6-24.. It is pretty long and heavy to use in my little trucks..

Molon Labe
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
699 members (10gaugemag, 257Bob, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 222ND, 16penny, 75 invisible), 2,758 guests, and 1,337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,627
Posts18,398,735
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.