Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Should be here in 2-3 weeks.

Lots of huisache and mesquite down here. Lots of business to be had with my regular customers that need more permanent solutions to brush control than shredding provides.

Tractor is about the same as what I'll be operating it with.

Hope it works as good as the video. smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You could have warned us about the music. smile

Looks like fun.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
That looks like a small fellerbuncher?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I know down here, we have to wait for the right moisture content in the soil to uproot trees.

Too dry, you'll just break off the taproot, and the undesirable just grows back.

Too wet, and you get the tractor stuck.. smile

Timing is everything.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's a waste of good fence posts. When you get finished down there, come on up here and I'll give you a little job.

IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
James, you can use untreated fence posts? What species of wood?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Got one sitting in my yard. I use it on my 85hp Bobcat works great.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JamesJr
That's a waste of good fence posts. When you get finished down there, come on up here and I'll give you a little job.

laugh

I'll be rooting up huisache and mesquite down here. They make pretty sorry fence posts. smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

laugh

I'll be rooting up huisache and mesquite down here. They make pretty sorry fence posts. smile

I thought the trees in the commercial looked like cedars. I use Eastern Red Cedars for fence posts. They can also be a nuisance if you let them get out of control. They make excellent fence posts.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna

laugh

I thought the trees in the commercial looked like cedars. I use Eastern Red Cedars for fence posts. They can also be a nuisance if you let them get out of control. They make excellent fence posts.

They looked like cedars to me too. I have some of those here, and do use them for posts some. Built my entrance from them.

I don't think they have the lifespan of being in the ground that a mountain juniper does. Here they call mountain juniper "cedar posts". Good fencing stuff!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I don't think they have the lifespan of being in the ground that a mountain juniper does. Here they call mountain juniper "cedar posts". Good fencing stuff!

There are some cedar corner posts here on my farm that have been in the ground for at least 60 years. I know because I remember my grandfather setting them. The redder the cedar, the longer it lasts.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
White oak makes a fence post, good luck driving a staple in after they dry.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna

There are some cedar corner posts here on my farm that have been in the ground for at least 60 years. I know because I remember my grandfather setting them. The redder the cedar, the longer it lasts.

I think we have too much moisture here.

Even the standard green T-posts rust like hell here. People have gone to using galvanized T-posts and pressure treated wood posts, mostly. Seen lots of the treated posts rotted out. Galvanized gaucho type wire last longer too.

I have a stretch of fence that needs rebuilt at the ranch here that used cedar posts and standard barb wire. It's in shambles. While not great, it did it's job if I replaced the rotted posts with T-posts as needed... Until my bull and the neighbor's bull decided to spar through the fence last week. smile Damn them anyway. They always wait 'til summer to do that...

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Since we have drifted onto fence posts, my father was able to buy Dierks creosote posts that will last a long time. Some bought in 1962, and earlier are still good as new. Guess what, the environmentalists stopped that, ----of course.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We have a lot of moisture here too and the Standard for many years was cedar and post oak posts. All cedar posts are not equal and depends on where they grow and how fast. An old man here used to say that you had to go North of the White River at Batesville to get a good cedar post here in Arkansas, but that was not true as the old growth cedar from Central Arkansas lasted a long time. New growth was a different animal. The ones made from split post oak depended on the amount of heart wood in the post. They would need to but turned over after about 20 years as they would start rotting right at the ground level. I can show you some that are at least 80 years old and the above ground part is still solid. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
We use Osage Orange here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Locust also makes a good post. Used to see here a lot. Not so much now, for whatever the reason.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Got some here, but I don't think they usually get to fence post size.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Locust here also. I can take you to some that were put up in the early to mid 70's and are still in good shape. There are others on neighboring farms put in before that but I have no idea when, still in good shape.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

83 members (300_savage, 257robertsimp, 6mmCreedmoor, 338Rules, 16penny, 13 invisible), 1,196 guests, and 788 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,057
Posts18,463,235
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.