24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would have zero reserves on using the .300H&H on Eland, and if legal on Lion. My personal experience shows that Lions are easier to put down than Eland. With the correct bullet for the cause, you could even stretch it to Giraffe, where a projectile such as a Barnes TSX or TTSX is used.
The .300H&H is a great caliber and will get the job done on any plains game hunt, and some.

Take Care,
Marius Goosen

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
BP-B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by KMGHuntingSafaris
I would have zero reserves on using the .300H&H on Eland, and if legal on Lion. My personal experience shows that Lions are easier to put down than Eland. With the correct bullet for the cause, you could even stretch it to Giraffe, where a projectile such as a Barnes TSX or TTSX is used.
The .300H&H is a great caliber and will get the job done on any plains game hunt, and some.

Take Care,
Marius Goosen

Agreed fully, the 220 gr partitions land 3" above the front sight at 100 yards on my pre-64 300 H&H, they land 3"s up at 200 yards too, looking through the old Lyman receiver peep will let you run the front sight up into the animal a bit, then with a 2.5 lb trigger caress, the bullets accurately on it's way, barring legalities, I don't know what couldn't be taken with this combo.

Trump Won!
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by Zengela
Nice pics. Clean and well laid out. What bullet? Load? Also you being SA do you know are Rhino bullets imported to US? I looked into getting some but it was a dead end on the US side, when I contacted Rhino in SA about getting several boxes, he thought I wanted to be the US importer and didn't understand I only wanted several boxes so I dropped trying too get some. Wanted to try out some of those heavy bullets they offer.

This was when I still used Nosler Accubond. This is the 180grn @ a little less than 3100fs. I am sorry dont know much about Rhino's export status. I could phone them if you like

I might hunt too much, but it is still not enough!
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Nice animals/pics LT_DAN.

Specs on rifle,please.

That is a custom built 26inch Truvello medium heavy barrel(1:10), with a original Oberndorf Mauser action. It has handcrafted Turkish walnut. I use a 1,8 pound pull Timney trigger. On top is a 6.5-20x50 Vortex Viper. My choice of load of late is 150grn GSCustom @ 3200fs. Since I hunt for meat, this load gives me the flattest trajectory without excessive meat damage. It is also more conducive for head-shots when the circumstances allows it.

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
Sounds like you good one hell of a 300 H&H. I'm jealous. Its just one of those rifles that over the years has slipped thru the cracks for me. No more excuses. I need to add one to my stable. A nice iconic .300

IC B2

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by LT_DAN
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Nice animals/pics LT_DAN.

Specs on rifle,please.

That is a custom built 26inch Truvello medium heavy barrel(1:10), with a original Oberndorf Mauser action. It has handcrafted Turkish walnut. I use a 1,8 pound pull Timney trigger. On top is a 6.5-20x50 Vortex Viper. My choice of load of late is 150grn GSCustom @ 3200fs. Since I hunt for meat, this load gives me the flattest trajectory without excessive meat damage. It is also more conducive for head-shots when the circumstances allows it.
Sweet! cool

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
This .300 H&H is not as eye pleasing as yours LT_DAN,but it'll shoot the 180 or 200 gr Nosler Partition very well.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Pre '64 Winchester M 70.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
aahh Model 70 H&H, about as common as chicken teeth. looks like a working rifle. Not much will stand after being hit with a 200grn Nosler

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
My version of modern artwork:

[Linked Image]

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Yup!

Thought about re-stocking it in either another fiberglass stock or a good piece of wood. Decided to leave it alone as it shoots very well.

If it ain't broke,don't fix it!

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
IC B3

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Nice rifles👍 Have a number 1 in that caliber..

Molon Labe
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by LT_DAN
My version of modern artwork:

[Linked Image]

That rifle looks almost like my Interarms Whitworth .375 H&H.
[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Hey Elks, where did you get the camo stock? Looks cool!

Mine is a 1978 Model 70 I bought from the family of the original owner. New in Box!
Guy bought it and took it home, put it under his bed where his son found it when Dad died.
Still had hang tags on it and the original, I guess!, dust on the box!
It is no longer unfired and wears a Leupold VX-R and is awaiting a trip to South Africa.....some day!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I like those Whitworths, really liked the wood on the one Ingwe had. This one isn't bad.

DF

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by fgold767
Hey Elks, where did you get the camo stock? Looks cool!

Mine is a 1978 Model 70 I bought from the family of the original owner. New in Box!
Guy bought it and took it home, put it under his bed where his son found it when Dad died.
Still had hang tags on it and the original, I guess!, dust on the box!
It is no longer unfired and wears a Leupold VX-R and is awaiting a trip to South Africa.....some day!
The stock was already on the rifle when I bought it. Think it's a B&C stock.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
723 members (02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 89 invisible), 2,726 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,698
Posts18,399,950
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.