Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Do you mind if I eavesdrop on this conversation?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AKBoater
Hughes Net is doing some pretty decent upgrades.

We are in the process of upgrading to them

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FishinHank

Yup! I don't have phone service of any kind here, would drive most people crazy. I have running water and power, I figure I am doin ok.

Just returned from a week at home, where the running water doesn't, and you had to crap in a bucket in spite of the fact that there was a perfectly good toilet sitting nearby. So staying at camp was perfect and wonderful, where the dastardly phones are useless unless and until you find a place where signal can be found

[Linked Image]

...on ice piled high out on the ocean, and then you quickly send the previously prepped message before the last bar drops.

At camp, the power is on when the Honda runs, and the ice runs when the ski-doo does. laugh

[Linked Image]

...and I wouldn't want it any other way!

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Life is hard eh?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 'being Alaskan' thing reminds me of the phrase "Alaska: Where the Odds are Good, but the Goods are Odd". I don't know about the former, but the latter portion seems well-founded. wink Some of us just fool people part of the time.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gave this some thought and I guess for me it boils down to gratitude

I'm grateful to have spent the majority of my adult life here

Alaska has given me everything a young man yearns for, a beauty to win ( grateful for my Indian princess) an adventure to live. I've lived so many of them here, mostly involved in some type of hunting

It's given me a comfortable living, even if making it wasn't always comfortable while doing so.

Everything I am & own I owe to this place, I'm only an adopted son, set foot here first at 10 years old, back at 17, 5 days after hs graduation.

I may be adopted, but love this place deeply, she's cared for me well even if I've received some harsh lessons.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Hurry up and wait is a big one in rural Alaska.

You have to rush to get checked in and then wait for even days before you get picked up.

I remember a real bad storm in Kotz during a teacher's inservice where we were stuck there for two weeks. That was during the bad old days of the Pondo club and lots of crazy stuff at the airport hangar bar.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I'll be making Alaska my permanent home next month. It's the culmination of a lifelong dream of mine, one that I've been dreaming of since I was a little boy reading stories of adventures in a lonely land. The draw for me has always been the relative freedom that it offers and the lack of forgiveness inherent to the wild places. The idea that there's still places that nobody has laid bootprints on and are still unspoiled by man has always appealed to this dreamer. Animals that have never seen a human and humans that rarely see other humans is a solitude unlike anywhere else in this country. Alaska is my paradise and I'll soon be living the dream. I may never be her native son but she's always been my mother land and my refuge of peaceful grandeur and unforgiving loneliness. I'll tread lightly and never take for granted the privilege of living deliberately.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
The fact that you can set foot on a piece of this earth that has never seen another human footprint, is one thing that has appealed to us also. Even though I can likely do that on my property here at home right now.

The other is solitude and beauty, only sometimes spoiled by 4 wheelers and the like. LOL.

Enjoy my friend, and be grateful for the chance. We are sure hoping to follow your steps sooner rather than later.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
Gave this some thought and I guess for me it boils down to gratitude

I'm grateful to have spent the majority of my adult life here

Alaska has given me everything a young man yearns for, a beauty to win ( grateful for my Indian princess) an adventure to live. I've lived so many of them here, mostly involved in some type of hunting

It's given me a comfortable living, even if making it wasn't always comfortable while doing so.

Everything I am & own I owe to this place, I'm only an adopted son, set foot here first at 10 years old, back at 17, 5 days after hs graduation.

I may be adopted, but love this place deeply, she's cared for me well even if I've received some harsh lessons.

Well put!

To me it seems when the land gets into your veins you find three main attributes.

Humility. If the land don't get you, the mechanized kit we've come up with to haul us around the state sure has a way of busting you up or burying you. It puts you in a healthy mindset as to your proper place in the order of things.

Gratitude. You give thanks for living hear and all the opportunities that abound.

Wonderment. No matter how many times you look at a mountain, stretch of water or spot of land you're still filled with wonderment at the beauty.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Aces and Paul, those were nice posts fellas.

One from a guy that aspires to live here and one that does.

nice touch on the keyboard gents.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As a little guy, a dreamed of Alaska ever since my Dad had returned from Alaska after WWII. I've kept many of his photos of their pioneering the Alcan Highway. What an experience they had.

There's a lot of the state I haven't seen and probably won't see.....just too much out there!

I was recently back in my home town in Northern Minnesota where I had intended to have my cremains buried with my parents there but I've advised my niece executor to put me in the Yukon River near the headwaters so I can travel the entire length of the river and look things over.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Would be somewhat of a coincidence perhaps if your dad and my uncle worked side by side on that miserable job (the Alcan). My dad relayed stories about the cold that his brother experienced...trucks whose radiators froze as they sat idling overnight.

And I've always figured/blamed my early years near Minnesota's northern border as the cause for yearning for "more north". smile

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I came to Alaska at age 20. Was homesick as hell for the next 15 months, when I went back Outside to visit friends and family for 6 weeks.

When the airliner dropped below the clouds above Indian, I looked down and saw the sheep trails I'd followed a few weeks before. I don't think that silly chit-eatin' smile left my face for a good six weeks.

Surprised the heck out of me that I'd found my life-time home. I didn't leave even temporarily for a decade afterward.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
What does it mean to me? Being able to hunt whatever I want, without having to go ask someone for permission.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Alaska has been my home for over 24 years and I can't imagine living anywhere else. I've made some good friends up here and met and married the woman of my dreams (she loves the outdoors just as much as I do) who loves this place as much as I do. You don't have to go far up here to find solitude and the scenery is second to none. IMO, Alaska is truly the Last Frontier.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Well, In a few months, I qualify for the Pioneer's Home if I need it. I have done a lot of stuff here that folks in the lower 48 would never even imagine doing. My first civilian job was as a "weasel mechanic" (the tracked ones). Did you ever notice that folks outside are different? I mean--they think different. Even your outside relatives are different. Folks who break ties with the Lower 48 are driven with an Alpha personality. Those folks breed with like types and our kids are born with an adventurous gene. I hope that I live long enough to see my great grandson grow up. All of my friends own at least 5 guns; By the time they turned 10 their kids have shot most of them, and they own several of their own. Even if dad has to help them hold on to the three six bits the kid has shot it and the old .44 magnum.. I never lived in Anchorage, but I did work for APD when we had the "Riot Helmets". Do you remember "Sgt. Muldoon" and "Ten Horse Johnson"?
Favor Center

Presidents 100-'97
Distinguished Rifleman-'81
NRA Benefactor
Artillery lends dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

590 members (257 mag, 270cowboy, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 22magnut, 260Remguy, 70 invisible), 2,159 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,295
Posts18,448,991
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.