Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Everyone knows dogs are among the best criminal deterrents one can get. In hard/bad times, I'm curious what breed you guys believe would serve a guard dog role best?

I am thinking real hard about a fila brasileiro for this task. Yes they are big, and they will eat a little more, but from my experience really no more than a high energy dog like a shepherd. A good buddy has a great dane/mastif mix, over 200 lbs and he eats less than some labs I've seen. This is also true of another friends Fila. The Fila/mastifs are very hearty/strong dogs that I believe would far well in rough times, plus they will not out of boredom chew up everything under the sun. They are quite happy just laying around until the time comes to bite an arm off. They are great around & guarding other animals as well.

What say you guys?

BP-B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
American Akita. We have one, it's our third Akita and the breed makes a great pet and a natural guard dog. They are known as the most loyal breed. They only bark when there is a really good reason, ours almost never barks. The Akita was originally bred to hunt big game, but the Japanese realized they are much better suited to home duties like watching the children. The breed is not for everyone and should be researched before owning.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
German Shepard would be my first choice.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Another vote for the GSD...but only if the owner/handler knows what it really means to have a working/protection dog. Most don't.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by ingwe
Another vote for the GSD...but only if the owner/handler knows what it really means to have a working/protection dog. Most don't.

Agree. Most GSD are smarter than the criminal. But they do require the attention needed.

Only thing better than a GSD is two GSDs.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A sharp German Wirehaired Pointer male like the ones Bob West in Boise Id used to sell would be a good gun dog and a guard dog. After all this is a gun dog forum.....

There are reports that some of the early GWPs were used in the German concentration camps.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I'll second the wirehair, at least of the hunting breeds. I've owned them for over three decades and they were not to be trifled with when they got their dander up. My most protective one was a small female but the males were more impressive looking.

I've seen news footage of GWPs being used for crowd control in West Germany (it's been a few years) in which the dogs bit demonstrators. It wasn't a "grip and shake" like shepards but it caused an immediate reaction.

Based on what I have read of canines, it seems dogs in the 75-90 pound range fair best in the "wild" which I suspect they would be somewhat exposed too. Much larger and they have greater difficulty foraging their own food, health/physical issues crop up, and longevity decreases. Picking a dog in this size range would be my first decision with health being next. I would not be wanting an apprehension type dog so projecting force is not something I need. Many dogs will show a degree of protection towards their owners and with encouragement that can be enhanced to the point of the dog being at least a distraction/disincentive toward an assault.

To keep burglars, Jehova's Witnesses, and political activists from the door- a dog with a deep bark seems to work fine. If they jump madly against the door, that helps too. Noise is what they all dislike and the more of it, the faster they leave. Too, many "quiet" houses out there to choose from, no need for thieves to make a ruckus.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I hope you have a good reason to want a guard dog. You can read in the news almost every week about a dog getting at some kid and either chewing them up badly or in a rare case killing them. You better have yourself prepared for a lot of careful training if you don't want to lose everything you have for allowing your dog to harm some one. I personally would not own a dog that bit. Too risky. A barker would be a better choice. You could get yourself a neat small dog that would either warn you or ward off some intruder. Try a Border Collie and buy a couple of pistols to have around the house.

Better to be over the hill than under it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some breeds will get your homeowners insurance cancelled.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Akita. Can be really hard headed, but once they realize you're more hard headed they never try you again but you got to get ahold of their mind. No bark, very trainable, aggressive (not very good with other dogs, animals, or strangers - a note to this is the CA show dogs have a lot of their aggression bred out of them). Be prepared for hair, lots of hair. Best dog you'll ever be partners with. My one boy, if someone he didn't know walked in the house without me they'd never hear a bark and he would land a paw on each of their shoulders and look down on them with a head 1/2 again as big as a humans. He was a really big boy, I quit weighing him at 165 lbs. He was also funny about letting people enter the yard but wouldn't let them out. I think he had a sense of humor.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by smokinggun
American Akita. We have one, it's our third Akita and the breed makes a great pet and a natural guard dog. They are known as the most loyal breed. They only bark when there is a really good reason, ours almost never barks. The Akita was originally bred to hunt big game, but the Japanese realized they are much better suited to home duties like watching the children. The breed is not for everyone and should be researched before owning.

Just saw this, bears, they were originally bred to hunt bears but like to hunt anything. Bred from the great chow, shibu, and a spitz (?). Then they fought them. Even today Japan Dog shows they face them off and the first one to look away loses. Had my first Akita, a Japanese Akita, in 75, had one ever since except for the last 4 years.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I have a 1 1/2 year old Bull Mastiff that rattles doors with his bark. If he gets pissed off it will not be pretty for the perp.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by RichardAustin
Akita. Can be really hard headed, but once they realize you're more hard headed they never try you again but you got to get ahold of their mind. No bark, very trainable, aggressive (not very good with other dogs, animals, or strangers - a note to this is the CA show dogs have a lot of their aggression bred out of them). Be prepared for hair, lots of hair. Best dog you'll ever be partners with. My one boy, if someone he didn't know walked in the house without me they'd never hear a bark and he would land a paw on each of their shoulders and look down on them with a head 1/2 again as big as a humans. He was a really big boy, I quit weighing him at 165 lbs. He was also funny about letting people enter the yard but wouldn't let them out. I think he had a sense of humor.

Originally Posted by RichardAustin
Originally Posted by smokinggun

Just saw this, bears, they were originally bred to hunt bears but like to hunt anything. Bred from the great chow, shibu, and a spitz (?). Then they fought them. Even today Japan Dog shows they face them off and the first one to look away loses. Had my first Akita, a Japanese Akita, in 75, had one ever since except for the last 4 years.

The most "cat like" dog breed. They are very strong willed. They will not do well stuck in the back yard, they need to be part of the family. Mine is the third one I have trained to stay in the yard on our un-fenced property. Ours is small thank goodness at 67 lbs and still playful like a puppy at almost 3 years old. Richard, they sure can stare, like keep an eye on the neighbors etc. Tripp: [Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Another vote for the GSD , they are needy and won't leave you alone , mine is barking as we speak.

P.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+ 1 for GSD. I won't own anything else.

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
+1 for the GSD. I have owned four and they are the best companion/ guard dog I have ever seen. They do need to be socialized like any other high prey drive dog but their intelligence is second to none.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Black Mouth Cur, especially if watching over children is involved. They won't back down when they get pissed. Not too big, but a lot of dog for their size.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
On second thought, I don't think an Akita would be good for you. They don't take it well when their Master gets sent away to jail.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
my border collie is my best friend but also pretty damn rough if someone has poor intentions

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
722 members (02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 91 invisible), 2,691 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,928
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.