-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
made some last week using mortons recipe on the web site. not much to it sugar and tender quick,rub down a pork loin and wait a few days..first time,its ok but not great. who has made it ? recipe?

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
made it before.
you already have the recipe. i add black pepper.
zip lock freezer bag. squeeze all the air out.
stainless mixing bowl in the icebox for a week or so.
turn daily.

you might have been missing a smoky flavor.
you can smoke it some after it's cured. i like
smoky meats myself

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Just smoked some yesterday--- to date my best dry rub is made up of --- Morton Tender Quick , pickling salt, black pepper, espresso coffee, Hershey's cocoa , cinnamon, brown sugar, and vanilla. I trim most of the fat off the pork loin first, cut to desired size, rub with mixture. Vacuum seal and place in frig for a week to 10 days. Turn over bags every day. Before smoking soak in cold water for about 1 hr to remove extra salt of the cure. Thin slice a piece off -- fry in butter and test for saltyness. Too salty place back in fresh cold water and test again. Pat very dry with paper towel before smoking--- smoke until internal temp is about 140 degs.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here is a recipe I came up with about ten years ago.I used it on whole pork loins and it turned out great.

Since hogs are so plentiful here in Texas and the meat can pile up in your freezer in a hurry,I thought I'd post this for ya'll to try.I just made me some pecan smoked boneless wild boar ham using Morton's Tenderquick Curing Salt and let me tell you they came out awesome.I used 1/2 oz. per lb. of meat.Dissolved the salt cure in a cup of water,used an injection needle and injected the meat,this helps get the curing process started on the inside.I then put the meat in a large plastic bag and poured the cure solution on the meat.Make sure the meat gets mixed around good so the cure can go to work on the outside.I keep the meat iced down in the bags for 2-3 days,then I rinse the meat and let it soak for several hours in fresh water to help remove the excess salt.I repeat the fresh water rinse and soak three times and it's OK to let it soak overnight.I've found that soaking the meat three times gives me a light salt taste where soaking the meat twice will give you a fairly salty taste.So it's really a matter of how you like yours.When I get ready to smoke it,I take the meat out of the bags,run some butcher twine through the meat so I can hang it in the smoker,then sprinkle the outside of the meat with med. ground black pepper.I set my smoker temp at 130-140 degrees,hang the meat and smoke for two hours at this temp.After two hours I quit the smoke,but kick the temp up to around 160 degrees for two hours.Then after the two hours at 160 degrees,I kick the heat up to 180-185 degrees for around eight hours,depending on how thick your meat is(I use boneless meat around a couple of inches thick.What I do on the hindquarters is,break them down into the four large muscle groups).Anyway,just keep it at this temp till you reach your desired dryness.After your drying is complete,take meat out of the smoker and let it cool.Wrap the cooled meat in butcher paper and store in the refridgerator for a day or two if you have room,if not just go ahead and freeze what your not going to eat now.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have never bothered making it, as the product just does not interest me.

Sam......

IC B2

N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
I use a brine with brown sugar and maple syrup. It gets great reviews from my friends and family

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You can also roll it in cornmeal and/or paprika when you are done with the brine. I do a paprika/bleak pepper coating, then the cornmeal.
I do sugar cure with pickling spices and a tiny bit of garlic. EZ.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'm gonna try that on the next hog I catch

PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'm gonna try that on the next hog I catch

PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
well its something i would like to try if i find it on the menu of a restuarant, i usually thought bacon was just bacon, no Canadian, or Chinese

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Uncooked;
[Linked Image]

Cooked;
[Linked Image]

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Hey Paul--- is that smoked?------- looks like it would go perfect with about anything--- Web

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
With egg on a muffin.

At McDonald's grin

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Commercially, no it's just brine cured pork loin, rolled in yellow cornmeal.

At home, no reason not to !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

630 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 65 invisible), 2,682 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,256
Posts18,467,037
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.