Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Guys,

I've done multiple custom builds but all on synthetic stocks. About to stock a matched pair of 30-06's with some nice turkish wood and I'm pretty blind on all the factors I need to think about?

My current list:

LOP - know this
Wood Blanks - have em
Checkering - no idea
Grip cap
ebony cap - prob will do without one

What else?

I've got great confidence in my gunmaker, but want to make sure these are the way I want them to be.

Thanks

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
If you like your synthetics and they fit you, I would have them duplicated. The details are all personal preference.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Checkering?
Butt plate/recoil pad?
Sling studs, yes/no, standard or inletted
Finish on the stock?
Glass bed, pillar?

NRA Patron
U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Most everything on your list is cosmetic, and not functional, but functional is arguably more important.

Dimensions of the grip?
How much drop in the butt?
Cast?
Toe out?
Pitch?
Cheekpiece? With or without shadowline?
Recoil pad (red looks sharp)?
Pillars?
Custom bottom metal?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Depends on your stockmaker. In my experience each of the good ones is pretty (very) opinionated on everything except lop. I would look at his work and go from there.

Find someone who builds what you like and have them do your work. Asking a good stockmaker to duplicate someone else's style is never a good idea. Think asking your new girlfriend to dress up to look like an old girlfriend.

Remember pitch. I like butt at 90* to centerline of bore.
I like no cast at heel or toe.
Also do you want it floated? Today that is common but not so in years past.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Also, since this is your first wood stock, there is a fair chance the blanks you bought are poorly laid out. Check with your stockmaker.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks guys, Gene Simillion will be doing the stocks.

Think we would use the echols legend stock they are currently in as a model.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
-Stock mounted Sling studs or barrel band setup?.. single or double screw?..slotted or hex/torx head?

-LPI of checkering (some grades of walnut won't take fine checking very well)
what pattern of checkering?..bordered or borderless?
checkering blade angle?

- Epoxy bedding of inlet?
(don't swallow the hype about stocks being totally hand fitted without an epoxy)

-Stock dimensions & weight
do you want a more dynamic faster handling rig? ie; lighter rig, thinner bodied stock will hollowed butt?
Longer full forend or shorter tapered?(aka English style)

-Grip cap,
solid or skeleton, single or double screw?...or blind screw?
wood inside skeleton plain or checkered?

Brass name plaque on underside of buttstock?

Pad:
Leather,steel or pachmayr?..If steel, solid or skeleton?...plain or checkered steel?..plain or checkered wood inside skeleton?

Regular blue or rust-blue for stock hardware, or some color-case?
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/3a/16/06/3a16069ed0ab2a43c03864d462c52324.jpg

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Since I believe that Gene worked with D'Arcy, I am sure he will do a fine job.

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Originally Posted by RinB
Depends on your stockmaker. In my experience each of the good ones is pretty (very) opinionated on everything except lop. I would look at his work and go from there.

Find someone who builds what you like and have them do your work. Asking a good stockmaker to duplicate someone else's style is never a good idea. Think asking your new girlfriend to dress up to look like an old girlfriend.

Remember pitch. I like butt at 90* to centerline of bore.
I like no cast at heel or toe.
Also do you want it floated? Today that is common but not so in years past.

And I like both cast and toe out, which is the beautiful thing about a custom stock.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gene will take good care of you.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I am also in the process of having my first true custom wood stock made. Ended up sending an existing factory wood stock that fits me well and I really like to the gunsmith to use as a template/guide with regards to:
> Grip dimensions
> Grip angle
> Comb height
> Fore end dimensions

Utah708 has a much more complete list above. However, these were the points that typically cause me angst and were of greatest concern to me. I do not know Mr. Simillion. However, he has an excellent reputation. Assuming these type questions will eventually come up during the course of your project.

Good luck !

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
If you want a wood stock to duplicate the Legend then you should contact Echols.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As has been mentioned grip cap and grip dimensions are important, and even a stock pattern that you like can - might - be improved on for your personal use by focusing on your hand size. Some custom stockmakers will measure your hand or ask for a tracing or outline of it. From there they establish the circumference of the grip and that determines the size of the grip cap. Paul and Sharon Dressel market five sizes in a single design and Jerry Fisher has various sizes, depending on whether you like one or two screws, and so on. The devil is in the details and you are right to focus on them up front.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
you might want to also check out Jim Kobe. Here are a few photos of one he recently stocked. He works from the blank and will take your measurements into account. I believe the stock pictured was for an African Rifle that will not use a scope.

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971019521/m/9051011032

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks very much - this gives me a lot to work with.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

353 members (260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 264mag, 270winchester, 10gaugeman, 28 invisible), 2,489 guests, and 1,190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,430
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.