Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Does the 7x57 in a 22" barrel have the oomph to push the 160-175 Woodleigh's/ Swift A Frames/ comparable bullets fast enough to open them up, say, on Mule Deer and elk? If I try the Hawks, say a round nose in 160-175, which jacket thickness is better? ( I'm assuming it would be the .030 jacket instead of the .035, but don't know) Also, would the Nosler 168 ABLR be a good 'all around" bullet to use on deer and elk? Thanks for any opinions guys...

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yes

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I don't have personal experience with Woodleighs and A-Frames in the 7x57, but have shot a bunch of 156-160-grain bullets into various big game animals with the 7x57, including the Barnes TSX, North Fork, Norma Oryx, Nosler Partition and North Fork. They all opened up at ranges out to 250 yards, though the TSX opened the least. If I decided to use a TSX again in the 7x57 it would be a Tipped TSX, and they're all lighter than 160 grains--which in my experience is a good thing, since lighter and faster works better with monolithics.

My favorite in that weight-range is the 156 Norma Oryx, because they open up easily and widely at moderate velocities. My experience in other cartridges with the Woodleighs and A-Frames is they open up easily and widely even at moderate velocities.

The Nosler ABLR's also open easily at moderate velocities, and I suspect the 168 7mm would work well in the 7x57. I'm in the process of trying some new bullets in the 160-grain range in my 7x57, including the 162 Hornady ELD-X and 168 ABLR, and will know more in a few months.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
You bet, and these fine premium bullets will be even more so at these mild velocities, that said, I've only fired 175 gr Partitions and old style Grand Slams in my 7X57, at 2700 fps, they are extremely fine killers.

Trump Won!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I shot a lot of 160 partitions in mine, but lately settled on the tipped TSX 140s at 2900 or so. I don't know how many head I've killed with the 140 TSX and TTSX, but quite a few, and a total of one got shot twice.

IC B2

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I use 140 partitions in my 7mm's. They do not fail.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I just bought a small boatload (dingy-load?) of pulled 160-gr. Partitions without a pull mark on them. I'm going to load them to a modest velocity, somewhere around 2500 or 2600 fps, and try them on a few pigs. I know they'll work; I just wonder if there'll be an appreciable difference between them and 140-gr. Interlocks inside of 150 yards. I know a pig isn't a mule deer or elk, but some of them can get pretty big and pretty tough.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
My observation is if a bullet will shoot through a big hog from any angle it will handle elk just fine!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

Originally Posted by RevMike
I just bought a small boatload (dingy-load?) of pulled 160-gr. Partitions without a pull mark on them. I'm going to load them to a modest velocity, somewhere around 2500 or 2600 fps, and try them on a few pigs. I know they'll work; I just wonder if there'll be an appreciable difference between them and 140-gr. Interlocks inside of 150 yards. I know a pig isn't a mule deer or elk, but some of them can get pretty big and pretty tough.

I doubt you'll see much difference. I've killed several truck loads of hogs with 139 Interlocks from 7-08's. A critter would have to be quite a bit bigger than an elk or big hog before I'd be apprehensive about shooting it with an 139 Interlock.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
7x57 and lead cores? What Jorge said.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
RevMike,

I'm not much for policing spelling on the Campfire, partly because I'd never have time for anything else, but you mean a "dinghy." Dingy means "gloomy, dark, dull", or something that dings, like the brains of some people.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
RevMike,

I'm not much for policing spelling on the Campfire, partly because I'd never have time for anything else, but you mean a "dinghy." Dingy means "gloomy, dark, dull", or something that dings, like the brains of some people.

I had to go back and see what I wrote. You're right! How embarrassing coming from someone who has spent almost his entire life within spittin' distance of the Atlantic Ocean! blush

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by TexasPhotog
I doubt you'll see much difference. I've killed several truck loads of hogs with 139 Interlocks from 7-08's. A critter would have to be quite a bit bigger than an elk or big hog before I'd be apprehensive about shooting it with an 139 Interlock.

That's pretty much what I'm thinking. Most of my shots are head or neck shots and I haven't recovered a single Interlock yet. Even on very big pigs I get a complete pass-through with a neck shot, whether I directly hit the spine or not. I can't imagine a Partition not doing the same. About the only difference I can imagine would be with a shoulder shot on a big boar. I might be able to recover an Interlock, but probably not a Partition.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
Does the 7x57 in a 22" barrel have the oomph to push the 160-175 Woodleigh's/ Swift A Frames/ comparable bullets fast enough to open them up, say, on Mule Deer and elk? If I try the Hawks, say a round nose in 160-175, which jacket thickness is better? ( I'm assuming it would be the .030 jacket instead of the .035, but don't know) Also, would the Nosler 168 ABLR be a good 'all around" bullet to use on deer and elk? Thanks for any opinions guys...

I once had to put down a large domestic cow. I had both 140gn and 175gn Woodleigh's loaded up for my .275 Rigby but because of the size of the beast, chose the 175 grainer.

All Woodleigh bullets are tested on game before being released to the market. There will be no concern whatsoever.
Wouldn't think twice about using it on elk or anything else I'd hunt using the 7x57.
John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
Interesting about the lack of heavy bullets used on game.

Last edited by Zengela; 05/15/17.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The bullet on the right is a 160 A-frame recovered from a nilgai cow. It was fired from a Brno ZKK 7x57. I shot her in the brisket at a distance of about 100 yards. Bullet was recovered in the stomach contents. Bullet on the left is a 140 Trophy Bonded recovered from a nilgai bull, but fired from a 280 Rem. I would not hesitate to take an elk using a 140 A-frame or a 140 Partition for that matter using a 7x57!

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
What impact velocity is required for a Woodleigh or A-Frame to reliably expand? I believe Nosler says that a Partition will expand down to 1800 fps.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Rev,at the ranges you shot at,would not worry about impact velocity for the bullet to expand. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Oh heavens no, not for me. I thought maybe it would help shed light on the OP's question. About the only thing that won't open a my ranges are solids. whistle

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Gotcha. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

190 members (12344mag, 2UP, 35, 338Rules, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 20 invisible), 1,385 guests, and 849 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,176
Posts18,465,468
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.