Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
RevMike,

something that dings, like the brains of some people.

Wouldn't that be spelled "Ding-a-ling"? smile

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks guys...I've always liked how both the Swifts and Woodleighs shot, just never killed anything with Aframes or 7mm Woodleighs. I still have a partial box of Hornady 175RN to play with. I've never killed an elk further than 250yds away. I usually average around 200yds on them. My average range on muleys is about 90yds! Didn't matter whether I was carrying a big magnum or a popgun, ha. For me, I want at least "some" mushrooming and a "lot" of penetration, I've just always liked holes that go all the way through. I grew up in the thickets of East Texas, small deer but big hogs and bloodtrails helped "if" they ever ran (I only shot one hog that ran , hit too far back and I got reamed by my dad for ruining "too da--ed much meat"!) Head/neck shots were used on hogs, deer usually behind the shoulder. Its almost impossible to "not" get two holes on those small deer, ha.

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 05/16/17.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Jim,
For the ranges you state, it would be hard to find a 7mm bullet that wouldn't work.
John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
Does the 7x57 in a 22" barrel have the oomph to push the 160-175 Woodleigh's/ Swift A Frames/ comparable bullets fast enough to open them up, say, on Mule Deer and elk? If I try the Hawks, say a round nose in 160-175, which jacket thickness is better? ( I'm assuming it would be the .030 jacket instead of the .035, but don't know) Also, would the Nosler 168 ABLR be a good 'all around" bullet to use on deer and elk? Thanks for any opinions guys...

One of the PHs I hunted with in Africa uses the A-Frames ( I want to say 175s) as his go-to in his 7x57.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by RevMike
Originally Posted by TexasPhotog
I doubt you'll see much difference. I've killed several truck loads of hogs with 139 Interlocks from 7-08's. A critter would have to be quite a bit bigger than an elk or big hog before I'd be apprehensive about shooting it with an 139 Interlock.

That's pretty much what I'm thinking. Most of my shots are head or neck shots and I haven't recovered a single Interlock yet. Even on very big pigs I get a complete pass-through with a neck shot, whether I directly hit the spine or not. I can't imagine a Partition not doing the same. About the only difference I can imagine would be with a shoulder shot on a big boar. I might be able to recover an Interlock, but probably not a Partition.

At 7-08 (essentially 7x57) velocities I have observed no difference in penetration or wound channel between a 139 Interlock and a 140 Partition.

You might see a bit more penetration with, say, 160 grain Partitions, but the 139 Interlock may expand a better at 7-08 speeds and it will still provide very good penetration.

Most of the hogs I've killed have been close range affairs, from under ten feet to about 80 yards, but a few have been further out. The only 7-08 bullet I've ever caught in a hog was a 139 Interlock. A very large sow took one through the shoulder at 168 yards and she went straight down. I did the gutless method of cleaning her because she was so big. I didn't bother to dig for the bullet because clouds of mosquitoes were attacking me. But that's the only one that's ever been stopped out of many truckloads of hogs.

FWIW, I also shot lengthwise, twice, through a young but heavy forkhorn mule deer at 22 paces using 139 Interlocks. I put the crosshairs low on his chest and pulled the trigger. I probably didn't need to shoot again, but when he didn't fall over immediately, I did so. Both bullets exited the same ham about an inch apart. A bullet that will hold up and penetrate lengthwise through a mule deer buck and works well on big hogs, will also kill elk.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Which brings us back around to the original question. I recently bought 500 pulled 160-grain NTPs simply because I couldn't resist the price: $95 shipped. Even though I really don't need them, I figured that if half of them were usable, at that price I'd be way ahead of the game. So far, after sorting through most of them, I haven't found any with a single pull mark on them. I expect what I'll do is work up a load at about 2600 fps or thereabouts, and use them mostly on porkers, although I might stick one through our little Florida deer to see what they do. But frankly, I'm not really expecting them to perform any better than a 154-gr Interlock at around the same velocity...which performs about the same as the 140-gr factory Hornady loads (.275 Rigby) I'm using at the moment, also at about the same velocity: .284 entry hole, something about the size of a half-dollar coming out, with a nasty wound channel in between. I've never taken a single shot at an elk, but any of the three bullets I've mentioned will certainly send a big pig to the sausage grinder. I can't see the Woodleigh or A-Frame not doing the same.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Well RevMike ( BTW, I'm a Pastor myself! :)) I found some Nosler Blems over on Shooters Pro shop and ordered some 140 Accubonds and 175 Partitions. I have the 168 ABLR to try so passed on the 160 "anything else" right now. I did order a box of Norma 156gr ammo to do a mini break in on my rifle ( a 1981 Mod 700 Classic) and get fired brass to set up my dies, etc. I'll find some Woodleighs later on to try. Thanks all for your replies! Rev Jim Knight

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Not a big deer,but this is the exit hole from a 160 gr Sierra GK with a 2710 fps average from a 22" barrel. The shot was around 110 yards.
[Linked Image]

Winchester M 70 Featherweight 7x57.
[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Ken:

As a doctor said one day, while he was looking at a nail mark in the bottom of my foot, "O, that's a big hole!"

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
I did order a box of Norma 156gr ammo to do a mini break in on my rifle ( a 1981 Mod 700 Classic) and get fired brass to set up my dies, etc.

Hey Rev, that's some pretty pricey break-in ammo!!

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Ha! I meant just shoot a few, see if they group well and also check for fouling. I had also ordered 100 Norma Brass ( and 40 RWS) so figured to stay with one maker of brass. smile

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 05/25/17.
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Got the Norma factory load in, as usual, by appearance they make beautiful ammo! anyone ever use their factory ammo on game in the 7x57/the 156 oryx?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, and it shoots very accurately from my Kilimanajro custom riflel. As I recall, muzzle velocity from the 21" barrel of my custom rifle with a minimum throat is around 2650, and while the Oryx typically opens up pretty widely, it retains around 90% of its weight so penetrates well. I killed a wildebeest bull with a frontal shot with that load in South Africa, and the bullet went through chest cavity and ended up somewhere in the guts. In fact it's probably my favorite all-around bullet in the 7x57, and if I wasn't a handloader I'd be happy to use the Norma factory load for everything.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks MD- Norma has always been great ammo, in my limited experience ( 30-06, 9.3x62) it was always referred to as "hot ammo" back in the 70s by some friends of mine who used it in their 30-06. It absolutely could not, back then, be used in the old Mod 742. It would fire, then the extractor would rip a piece off the rim, but not extract. My friends with old 1917 Enfield's and a guy with a Mod 50 JC Higgins bolt gun loved it, ha. Admittedly, it was "rough" on those East Texas deer and hogs! lol

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
My favorite in that weight-range is the 156 Norma Oryx, because they open up easily and widely at moderate velocities. My experience in other cartridges with the Woodleighs and A-Frames is they open up easily and widely even at moderate velocities.

John, I'm interested in the Oryx for a 7x57 Improved. What powders do you like? QL seems to be suggesting something like a Re-19, maybe Re-22.

Murphy was a grunt.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I spoke at length to a man from Germany some years ago. He was an engineer working on a project at the Lorain Ohio Ford plant.

He said in Europe you are expected to know your issues, ammo, firearms and what their limits are. For example, if you plug a Norma 7x57 into a Mauser 93 and it blows that's your fault. They publish the pressures, you are expected to read and understand them and know the limits of your firearm.

Not here, here you drop a Ruger #1 load into a trapdoor and it's the manufacturers fault. From what he was saying the courts in Germany would laugh at you for being ignorant then maybe fine you for bringing a frivolous law suit.

The cost of being stupid is on the stupid person.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, I have a friend who owns an ice-auger factory. They get their blades from a company in Sweden, and they are SHARP. Whenever some American ice-fisherman cuts himself on one they sue the American company, despite numerous warnings in the instructions and all over the machines about being careful, and also providing VERY stout guards for the blades.

He was telling the Swedes about the lawsuits one day, and they couldn't believe it. Same deal there: If some Swedish ice-fisherman is dumb enough to, say, put an auger on an ATV, then lean over the uncovered blades to tie it down and cit himself, that's his problem, not the manufacturer's.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Armednfree
I spoke at length to a man from Germany some years ago. He was an engineer working on a project at the Lorain Ohio Ford plant.

He said in Europe you are expected to know your issues, ammo, firearms and what their limits are. For example, if you plug a Norma 7x57 into a Mauser 93 and it blows that's your fault. They publish the pressures, you are expected to read and understand them and know the limits of your firearm.

Not here, here you drop a Ruger #1 load into a trapdoor and it's the manufacturers fault. From what he was saying the courts in Germany would laugh at you for being ignorant then maybe fine you for bringing a frivolous law suit.

The cost of being stupid is on the stupid person.

As it should be!

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bought some 160 Accubonds to try in the Ruger 7x57, which has a 10" twist. I suspect it's about the longest bullet that will stabilize in it.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (1minute, 1moredeer, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1234, 1OntarioJim, 59 invisible), 2,112 guests, and 1,091 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,108
Posts18,464,257
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.