Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
Am having a hell of a time shooting long when I don't have a spotter, I am having a hard time spotting my misses and where I am missing, wind always blows so I am used to the wind some days it's not to hard to read as others, but when the bullet hits the dirt and the dust fly's up, by the time I recover from the recoil I can't tell for sure where I hit. sure makes making adjustments hard, anyone else ever have this problem ?? Rio 7

GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
That's why I put muzzle brakes on my LR rifles. Even though they are 308 and 30-06. I can easily spot my own hits/misses.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I went with the Thruster brake from Badger Ordnance.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

There are fancier brakes out there, but the guidance I would offer if you go the brake route, is to choose a design with side-discharge ports.

The brakes with radial ports can kick up a lot of dirt/dust in dry country if you are down on the ground.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Generally long range shooting is modern. The new brake designs are also modern. You want to see your hits use a side port brake. The other day I was using someone else's rifle that didn't fit at all. In fact I had to switch to shooting angled to the rifle and use my non-trigger hand on the comb for my face weld in order to look though the center of the scope. And yet I was able to call my own shots.

A side note from the soap box: One should use electronic hearing protection/enhancers whether they use a brake or not. Save your hearing.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Heavier gun.

Smaller cartridge.

Less power on the optic.

Better position.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
A good video camera on a nice tripod makes a great "spotter"....

Suppressors help immensely too...

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
A good video camera on a nice tripod makes a great "spotter"....

Suppressors help immensely too...

Suppressors are modern.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Generally.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't run with scissors btw.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by RIO7
Am having a hell of a time shooting long when I don't have a spotter, I am having a hard time spotting my misses and where I am missing, wind always blows so I am used to the wind some days it's not to hard to read as others, but when the bullet hits the dirt and the dust fly's up, by the time I recover from the recoil I can't tell for sure where I hit. sure makes making adjustments hard, anyone else ever have this problem ?? Rio 7

Take much longer shots, that way you've recovered and can watch the trace go in and the impact...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have an adapter for my Kowa spotting scope eyepiece that allows me to mount my Samsung S7 phone on it. Shoot some video and review as many times as you want. Just make sure the spotting scope is no too close to the muzzle or the blast will jar it off target. Learned that one first hand.

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
dog shooter, I took your advise and set up a good video camera will see how it works.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
there are times when hunting that a spotter is just as important as the rifle you are shooting even if it is braked, I have had times where my nephew was my spotter and guided me in for the shot (excellent spotter) that I might not have gotten otherwise.
A couple of years ago I missed the biggest mule deer I have seen in my life because neither me or my best friend (horrible spotter) could spot where the bullets were hitting in a 30mph Wyoming cross wind

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'm kinda surprised a break would allow you to see impact in an '06. But I dunno those things.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a phone skope adapter for my Samsung phone to fit on my Swarovski spotter,
I can honestly say it does help for those times when I'm by myself. Loading the bipod will help you to stay on target after the shot too.
I also run suppressor like the gentleman above named dogshooter.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gonzaga
I have a phone skope adapter for my Samsung phone to fit on my Swarovski spotter,
I can honestly say it does help for those times when I'm by myself. Loading the bipod will help you to stay on target after the shot too.
I also run suppressor like the gentleman above named dogshooter.....

Name dropper.....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

You're just jealous because you reside in a communist state.....lol

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by gonzaga
gentleman above named dogshooter.....

Gentleman? Laffin....

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
I'm kinda surprised a break would allow you to see impact in an '06. But I dunno those things.

The 30-06 above weighs 16 lbs with the bipod attached. Then the brake effect, and the decent FOV of the 12X Super Sniper. Everything is working together. I'm not watching impacts on 100 yard paper. I mostly shoot distances between 300-1200 yards, and this setup works well. I'm pushing the 208 Amax and 215 Berger at about 2650-2700 fps.

I only use the shooting table up close (100 yd paper) but it is more 'bouncy' than being down on the ground.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Darn it now I really have to upgrade my spotter and get an iPhone adapter for the upgrade. I'm also a terrible spotter living in a communist totalitarian state. It really sucks because I voted for Jerry Brown in 1980 before I came to my senses.

Honestly I'm not hopeless but for someone to be typically the best rifle shot and worst spotter is a little embarrassing- with a good spotter I'm fair with the naked eye or even very good binoculars it's pretty bad. "Hey watch my shots carefully but I'll be no help on yours" isn't the most cosiderate thing to have as a message. But then again they are already hunting with someone who makes up his mind to shoot in milliseconds - don't point it out to me if you don't want me to shoot it - legal/safe bang.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (270cowboy, 1minute, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 280shooter, 204guy, 64 invisible), 2,077 guests, and 1,165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,748
Posts18,457,795
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.