-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I bumped into a knife maker from southeastern Kansas by the name of Larry Lewis who make basic/primitive, not fancy, knives for under $50.

He doesn't have a web site, but he occasionally auctions some of his knives on ebay under seller name "yllowcrk". If you're interested, you can reach him via email at ldlewcvalley.net. The first letter is a lower case "L", not an upper case "I".

Tell him that "Jeff from Omaha" sent you and he might give you a friend of a friend discount.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
I hope none of us need a discount off a knife costing less than $50. lol

Sam......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

Sort of feel sorry for a guy that only gets $50 for his efforts making both a knife and a sheath.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I have more than a few Ingrams that I bought from Gene WAY back in the day for $60 with sheath.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Boise
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

Sort of feel sorry for a guy that only gets $50 for his efforts making both a knife and a sheath.

No sheath, just the knife. He sets the prices and I pay him.

I have had a guy in southern AZ make sheaths for them for around $30 per, so the knife and sheath were under $100.

Again, these aren't fancy knives, just basic/primitive knives of the kind that a country blacksmith might have made in the 19th and early 20th Centuries.

He calls his business Yellar Creek Forge.

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Not to denigrate the guys work that I've never seen but it sounds like he might do well selling to tourists somewhere like The Smokey Mountain gift shops. Somewhere someone might pick up a more primitive piece just for the nostalgia. Maybe he could create some period authentic pieces for Civil War reenactment.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Not to denigrate the guys work that I've never seen but it sounds like he might do well selling to tourists somewhere like The Smokey Mountain gift shops. Somewhere someone might pick up a more primitive piece just for the nostalgia. Maybe he could create some period authentic pieces for Civil War reenactment.

I've provided Mr. Lewis' contact information, so if you want to share your thoughts with him, you have the means to do so.

I like the character, the uniqueness, of Mr. Lewis' knives because since they are all hand-made, no two will ever be exactly alike.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

I've provided Mr. Lewis' contact information, so if you want to share your thoughts with him, you have the means to do so.

I like the character, the uniqueness, of Mr. Lewis' knives because since they are all hand-made, no two will ever be exactly alike.

That's fine.Sounded like you were trying to help the guy out a little by advertising. I was just trying to be helpful.Sorry if it came across any other way.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

That's fine.Sounded like you were trying to help the guy out a little by advertising. I was just trying to be helpful.Sorry if it came across any other way.

Yes, I had intended to help both Mr. Lewis and 24HCF members. If you really want to offer your marketing expertise to him, you have his contact information.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

Yes, I had intended to help both Mr. Lewis and 24HCF members. If you really want to offer your marketing expertise to him, you have his contact information.

Good to see you're still a full on idiot.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steelhead

LOL

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I initially connected with Mr. Lewis because I had just finished reading Horace Kepart's 1916 book "Camping and Woodcraft" and was looking for a Kephart style knife on eBay. Mr. Lewis' Kephart style knife was reasonably priced, about the same as a Condor brand commercial production knife made in Central America, and it was handmade by a craftsman. I've since bought several of Mr. Lewis' knives to give as gifts or to use myself. While they aren't as nicely finished or as highly polished as my knives from better known bladesmiths like Howe, Ingram, King, or Murr, but they hold an edge and do the intended job pretty well.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I initially connected with Mr. Lewis because I had just finished reading Horace Kepart's 1916 book "Camping and Woodcraft" and was looking for a Kephart style knife on eBay. Mr. Lewis' Kephart style knife was reasonably priced, about the same as a Condor brand commercial production knife made in Central America, and it was handmade by a craftsman. I've since bought several of Mr. Lewis' knives to give as gifts or to use myself. While they aren't as nicely finished or as highly polished as my knives from better known bladesmiths like Howe, Ingram, King, or Murr, but they hold an edge and do the intended job pretty well.

Simple solution here, post some damn pictures and stop acting like teen girl.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I never post pictures.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I never post pictures.

Then stop [bleep] about praising someone's work if you won't post pictures of it.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Steelhead

I really pity you. It's sad that you feel so bad that you have to insult other people to feel better about yourself. Don't bother any more since I won't be listening. People like you are why so many good members have left this site. Yes,I've spoken to some of them in private and they named you as one of the top ass holes here, so GFY.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 05/17/17.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JSTUART
I never post pictures.

Then stop [bleep] about praising someone's work if you won't post pictures of it.

I'm sure that Mr. Lewis can prove you with pictures of his knives. If you're interested, you can reach him at ldlewcvalley.net.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I got an email from Mr. Lewis thanking me for sending him business from 24HCF members. For those of you who have purchased, or who may purchase, a knife from Mr. Lewis, I hope that you like them and appreciate their value and unique character, 'cause there will never be two that are identical.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 163bc, 51 invisible), 2,315 guests, and 1,175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,234
Posts18,466,711
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.