Print Thread
Hop To
J
jobyjob Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Here are some photos of my new deer rifle.

I bought this Tikka T3 CTR 308 brand new last year. I shot it about 10 times to get it sighted in. It is just super accurate as you would expect, putting all shots into the same hole at 100 yards even when fired by two different shooters!

The only way I could think to improve it for deer hunting was to figure out how to put this barreled action in a sleek, sporter-style stock. After much research I figured out that this barreled action would bolt right up into any Tikka T3 stock. I had a chance to buy a new Tikka T3 walnut Hunter stock and trigger guard so I grabbed it and sent it and my barreled action to Campfire Oracle Redneck. Lee installed pillars and bedded the action for me. He also opened up the barrel channel so the CTR contour barrel free-floated. I had never even touched the adjustable trigger yet, so he also adjusted it to a nice, crisp 2-3/4 lbs. for for me.

I will take the factory scope rail off, put a Ded Nutz Game Reaper and my Redfield Revolution 4-12x40 scope back on it, put a flush mount factory 3-round magazine in it, put my Limbsaver Air Tech recoil pad on it and head for the range to get it sighted in for deer season next fall.

You can't use the CTR bottom metal or 10-round magazine with a regular factory Tikka T3 wood or synthetic stock, or any aftermarket drop-in T3 stocks. But the CTR barreled action drops right into any T3 stock using the standard trigger guard and 3 or 5-round factory mags. You might also need to be able to open the barrel channel a tiny bit. Makes for a very nice sporter-style package that handles and balances nicely.

My thanks to Redneck for his super nice workmanship on this rifle, and for his prompt service and good communications.

Stay tuned for pictures of my Savage 6.5 Creedmoor that will be back from Redneck's shop as soon as he finishes performing his magic on it. It is getting bedded into a new stock and having a Timney installed. I can't wait to see it.

Attached Images
IMG_0381.JPG (91.01 KB, 757 downloads)
IMG_0383.JPG (96.29 KB, 430 downloads)
IMG_0384.JPG (91.37 KB, 349 downloads)
Last edited by jobyjob; 05/15/17.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He's one of the rare craftsmen with excellent communication skills and a very prompt turnaround time. I count the rifle he rebarreled and accurized for me as one of my few complete gunsmithing successes.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Nice rifle. How much does it weigh and where does it balance?

Okie John

Last edited by okie john; 05/15/17.

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Returning it with the Floral Arrangement was a VERY NICE touch. whistle

Congrats on a nice rifle and thanks for supporting one of our Campfire's Own...

Wish you alot of good luck and enjoyment with it within the field.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

J
jobyjob Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J

Ya, who knew Redneck was a trained florist on top of everything else?

It's not a super lightweight rig okie john, but I hunt mostly from blinds and treestands. And it will be nice and steady to shoot at its weight. I will weigh it and check the balance point and post those when I put my scope back on it soon.

Mark

IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by jobyjob

Ya, who knew Redneck was a trained florist on top of everything else?

I did.

Camp is where you make it.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
That rifle looks amazing. I would almost expect Tikka to steal that package and offer it up as a new model. Tikka CTR Hunter. As far as redneck being a florist too, my niece got married in Sandpoint, ID and her cake baker is a moonlighting diesel mechanic and makes killer cupcakes.
It also looks like redneck has some pretty good photography skills.

Last edited by smarquez; 05/17/17.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Why the angry emoji on the thread posting?

Hope to hang pics of my Redneck built 35 Whelen and a moose come this September. Already have a few pics with deer.

(Can't believe Lee would slum a Tikka tho . . .)

J
jobyjob Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

Why the angry emoji on the thread posting?

Hope to hang pics of my Redneck built 35 Whelen and a moose come this September. Already have a few pics with deer.

(Can't believe Lee would slum a Tikka tho . . .)

Hahahahahahaha.................. I didn't even see that angry emoji. Don't know how it got there.

As for Tikkas, aren't they at the pinnacle of the rifle universe?

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
That looks like a very nice rifle right there.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh damn, somebody went and did it. My guess is the flowers are a memorial for all the custom hot shot rifles whose ass that rifle just kicked?

Nice rig. Creed in Tupperware would be sweet.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Very nice rifle

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

219 members (12344mag, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 2UP, 10Glocks, 280ACKIMP, 26 invisible), 1,272 guests, and 1,014 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,225
Posts18,447,540
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.