Print Thread
Hop To
M
mart Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Between my slope job and going back east to help Dad out on my last R&R, it's been seven plus weeks since I've been to the range. I headed out early this morning with several rifles, a thermos of coffee, and a couple sandwiches.

After I finished testing some centerfires, I set up to check out Dad's old Winchester 67 and my Marlin 39 with all the various brands of 22 I have on hand. During the 22 shortage I bought what was available with little regard to what brand it was. I sorted through it all yesterday and found I had 14 different varieties in Federal, Winchester, CCI and Remington. I shot them both with open sights but will shoot the Marlin again tomorrow with a scope and the 14 choices.

When I was back home last R&R, I was helping Dad prepare for an auction and to eventually move to a senior apartment. He sent me home with the Winchester 67 he bought as a young man, probably around 1946-48. I don't know if it was new or used at the time. He used that 67 to teach me broth and I to shoot. We carried it many miles chasing, rabbits, squirrels and woodchucks. We also carried on our traplines and dispatched a lot of raccoon, fox and coyote with it.

I set up at 25 yards and shot five round groups with each variety. The 67 loved the old yellow box Winchester Super X standard velocity. I picked up two bricks at a gun show 20 years ago when there was no shortage. I've been shooting it sparingly since then and have about 3/4 of one brick left. It seem fitting Dad's old 22 likes the old Winchester ammo the best. CCI's Small Game load and their Velocitor came in a very close second.

The Marlin liked Federal's HV Match the best with CCI's Velocitor and Standard Velocity almost as good. Tomorrow with the scope I'll see how well all the varieties shoot and if any of the bigger groups were me and not the ammo.

Here's a few pics. Thanks for looking.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
GB1

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Very nice post. I've seen those old yellow box Win. in years, but I sure remember buying them. Thanks for posting this.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Fun. I love looking a rifles and ammo. Shot lots of those old WW shells when they were the thing.. Might still have a bx or two somewhere. 22's are so much fun. Bought a Marlin 39D this last winter.. Been shooting some gophers w/ it.. We are visiting my step daughter, and a local shop has a nice Remington 514 I believe.. It is tube fed.. Price is $169.. Would love to have it, but w/ 9 or 10 already living at home???? About the only shooting I do w/ 22'ss is at gophers..
Looking forward to the scoped Marlin report..

Molon Labe
M
mart Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
I spent another day at the range today and worked with both the Marlin and my old Remington 581, both scoped. I tested the same 14 varieties of 22 ammo as yesterday. The Marlin still liked the same three as yesterday; the Federal HV Match and CCI's Velocitor and Standard Velocity. The CCI SGB, Federal Auto Match and Remington Golden Bullet HP fared well also.

The old 581 shot like I thought it would. For as light a barrel as it has, it sure shoots well. Federal Auto Match, CCI's Standard Velocity, SGB and Velocitor, and Winchester Super X yelow box turned in some really good groups. Most of the rest of them fared well with an occasional flyer, probably shooter induced.

Here are the groups. The Remington CB Longs didn't fare too well but then 25 yards is long range for that little 29 grain bullet.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
nice

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Looks like you had some fun:)

What distance were those most recent targets fired from?

Last edited by jk16; 05/16/17.
M
mart Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
All fired from 25 yards. Sorry. I should have included that in my post.

It was a good day. Seven plus weeks with no range time is far too long. And that's more 22 LR than I've shot in a long time. A guy needs to step back and shoot some rimfire once in a while just to remember how much fun it is.

I'm really looking forward to taking Dad's old model 67 out next winter for some snowshoe rabbits.

I could load that Marlin tube up with the CCI Target Shorts and shoot a couple limits of rabbits and still not run out of ammo.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Nice, great fun..I can't wait to get home and do some more shooting with my .22's.

Molon Labe

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (10gaugemag, 35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 7 invisible), 1,606 guests, and 743 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,557
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.