Hop To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
L
las Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Lets throw in brands and bullets as well, just for the heck of it.

For me, I don't like Wby calibers or guns (I've repaired quite a few!). Too overhyped, over-heavy actions, over-flashy, over expensive, over powdered, for too little practical benefit.

I don't like Savage 110 or derivatives - gun-smithing mechanics,- tho I do like the head spacing thing and their general accuracy. The trigger mechanism sucks.

I don't like Sako actions - too many small [bleep] parts in the bolts, for too little benefit.

7MM Mag - .30-06 can do anything it can to 300 yards, and the 300 Mag better at all ranges. Besides, the only one I ever had kicked the living chit out of me - I sold it after a half-box. Sue me! But I would have bought that shop-customer - Husquavarna in a heartbeat tho - bastid wouldn't sell it... 5 rounds made one hole, and apparently the stock fit me just right...

Nosler Partitions - None of my rifles like them very well, "Adequate" for accuracy is all. C&C are better accuracy producers In my rifles.
And perfectly functional. No C&C has ever "failed" me. A 210 338WM NP has. But then, I've gone away from premiums anyway, for the most part. - Just not necessary if one picks his shot.

That said, I'm going to try Hornady's GMX Super Performance in 150, .30-06, just for grins. I've been using the SST's.

Consistancy is the mark of a small mind.... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

BP-B6

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I don't like people who tell me what they don't like

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I used to hate the 243 for no reason whatsoever. I've owned a 257R for years and finally realized that there is very little difference between the two. Maybe it was "25cal snob" syndrome.

Finally relented and bought a 243 bbl to screw on a 700 I have here. Gonna be a longer/heavier bbl with a bigger scope than the 257R.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I don't like people who can't discern the difference between calibers & cartridges.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Reloder28
I don't like people who can't discern the difference between calibers & cartridges.

I was waiting for that one....didnt take long.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
.227" (.22 Savage Hi-Power)

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I dont like Sako or Savage.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The 17 HMR...it is too much for squirrel and not enough for groundhogs. It's accuracy calls to me like a siren, but I am disappointed when I have used it.

In regards to rifles, I have never liked any Savage I have owned.

Also Thompson Center, who could make an uglier gun to sell? Their products also seem to rust easier than anything else I have owned.

AR15 is not on my love list. Too many parts, aluminum on steel, that god awful spring you have to feel and hear while shooting. It feels like a toy.

I know you didn't mention scopes, but I have had nothing but bad luck with Burris and I would put them in the don't like column. I do love their rings.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't like .30-06. It kicks too hard for the amount of performance you get. A .308, .270 or .280 recoil less and accomplish the same job.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
308 & .257 Roberts..

Molon Labe
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mossberg anything due to a bad experience with a POS shotgun in the 80's.

Rifles that are not accurate, regardless of manufacturer. Never had a pretty Savage but every one has been a shooter par excellence.

Browning bolt rifles. No good reason and I love my Browning B92 lever and .22 Buckmark.

Savage Axis and anything sold by Remington that isn't a M700, M600 or Nylon 66.

Used rifles that have not been well cared for.

Weatherby, WSM, WSSM, RUM, RSAUM, Nosler and too many other cartridges to list. Don't hate them, just don't have any use for them.

Cup-and-core big game bullets in high-velocity rifles.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I don't like 29 caliber.
Neither does anyone else!
In fact it's so unpopular the factories don't make it.

Humor aside, caliber and cartridges are purpose driven. In some cases they come up short of the desired performance level of the purpose they were designed for, but they are things, having no mind of their own.
The problem with being purpose driven is that the more specialized one gets, the less it can cover other bases as well.

A 50 BMG is an outstanding long range heavy hitter and a wonderful tool for destroying things too tough for normal sized cartridges to destroy as well. But it's not so good for a general purpose hunting rifle. A bit heavy for most of us, don't you think? I have no desire to own such a large heavy weapon, but I can't really say "I don't like it". I only say I have no personal reason to buy one.

The 3mm Kolibri was purpose driven too. It was to fit into an auto pistol that is less then 2" overall 7/16" wide and weighed only 4 OZ.
It developed about 3 foot pounds. So if the purpose was to fit into a gun of 4 Oz, it was a total success. But if the questions asked "what's this gun for" we have a bit more trouble with an answer. The real answer is "to be small". "Personal protection" doesn't really make a good answer. A small pocket knife is deadlier.

When someone "doesn't like" a cartridge it's because the cartridge doesn't do what they want it to do, or at least they believe it doesn't do what they want it to do.

Like and dislike are human traits based on opinion, Every one has one.
Sometimes they are based of truth and sometimes not. But if you don't like something and it is a good thing, you still don't like it and because we are spending our own money and we buy these things to enjoy we should not buy something we will not enjoy. Like a mushroom and cheese omelet, some like them, some don't. The Omelet itself is neither good not bad.

I have to say liking something is the best reason to own it. Disliking it is the best reason not to.

Last edited by szihn; 05/16/17.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like all calibers but don't like people who don't like guns. Every one of them I have ever met was an idiot.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
9.3, 10mm, 270, odd tween calibers.
We only should have:
20, 225, 25, 30, 35, 45 in inch measurements.
5, 5.5, 6, 6.5, 7, 7.5 in metric.
Keep it simple, stoopid twixt calibers are fluff.
Black powder muzzleloader and handgun bullets excluded
just because their different.
Those can be 22, 25, 32, 38, 45, 50, and 56.
I have spoken, make it so.

Last edited by Nessmuk; 05/16/17.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
45/70 and anything with the suffix "AI"..

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Anything with the suffix Wby. Mag....

SNORK!!!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by las
Lets throw in brands and bullets as well, just for the heck of it.

For me, I don't like Wby calibers or guns (I've repaired quite a few!). Too overhyped, over-heavy actions, over-flashy, over expensive, over powdered, for too little practical benefit.

I don't like Savage 110 or derivatives - gun-smithing mechanics,- tho I do like the head spacing thing and their general accuracy. The trigger mechanism sucks.

I don't like Sako actions - too many small [bleep] parts in the bolts, for too little benefit.

7MM Mag - .30-06 can do anything it can to 300 yards, and the 300 Mag better at all ranges. Besides, the only one I ever had kicked the living chit out of me - I sold it after a half-box. Sue me! But I would have bought that shop-customer - Husquavarna in a heartbeat tho - bastid wouldn't sell it... 5 rounds made one hole, and apparently the stock fit me just right...

Nosler Partitions - None of my rifles like them very well, "Adequate" for accuracy is all. C&C are better accuracy producers In my rifles.
And perfectly functional. No C&C has ever "failed" me. A 210 338WM NP has. But then, I've gone away from premiums anyway, for the most part. - Just not necessary if one picks his shot.

That said, I'm going to try Hornady's GMX Super Performance in 150, .30-06, just for grins. I've been using the SST's.

Consistancy is the mark of a small mind.... smile

Funny how we all view things that are the same, differently, at times.

I'm not pro or con wtby. Have a few. Never had anything bad to say about the rounds. None of mine have any flash.. and flash comes in various brands... never could figure why a hunter wanted gloss...

Savage. Ugly, cheap, accurate, trigger one can live with even me being a trigger snob, not what I like but sure suffice for most things.

Never had a sako.

One of the worst kicking guns I ever shot was a buddies 06... way worse than any 7 mag. Stock design has lots to do with this though.

Bullets... Barnes period for when it counts. I've never seen an issue with them. I"ve had issues with MANY cup and core, even partitions, being told wrong bullet for wrong use, but over and over again you got such non repeatable results....210 ttsx in 338-06 has done just fine in AK so far. I know I"ve gotten more penetration and same dead, as I would have with a 210 partition.

Now for my own comment, not vs yours, LOL, I hate the 270 Win.

Last edited by rost495; 05/16/17. Reason: new campfire posted before I could type.....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

Just can't get interested.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by szihn
I don't like 29 caliber.
Neither does anyone else!
In fact it's so unpopular the factories don't make it.

Humor aside, caliber and cartridges are purpose driven. In some cases they come up short of the desired performance level of the purpose they were designed for, but they are things, having no mind of their own.
The problem with being purpose driven is that the more specialized one gets, the less it can cover other bases as well.

A 50 BMG is an outstanding long range heavy hitter and a wonderful tool for destroying things too tough for normal sized cartridges to destroy as well. But it's not so good for a general purpose hunting rifle. A bit heavy for most of us, don't you think? I have no desire to own such a large heavy weapon, but I can't really say "I don't like it". I only say I have no personal reason to buy one.

The 3mm Kolibri was purpose driven too. It was to fit into an auto pistol that is less then 2" overall 7/16" wide and weighed only 4 OZ.
It developed about 3 foot pounds. So if the purpose was to fit into a gun of 4 Oz, it was a total success. But if the questions asked "what's this gun for" we have a bit more trouble with an answer. The real answer is "to be small". "Personal protection" doesn't really make a good answer. A small pocket knife is deadlier.

When someone "doesn't like" a cartridge it's because the cartridge doesn't do what they want it to do, or at least they believe it doesn't do what they want it to do.

Like and dislike are human traits based on opinion, Every one has one.
Sometimes they are based of truth and sometimes not. But if you don't like something and it is a good thing, you still don't like it and because we are spending our own money and we buy these things to enjoy we should not buy something we will not enjoy. Like a mushroom and cheese omelet, some like them, some don't. The Omelet itself is neither good not bad.

I have to say liking something is the best reason to own it. Disliking it is the best reason not to.

50 cal doesn't do any damage to game from when I've used mine... just cal in cal out....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by barm
The 17 HMR...it is too much for squirrel and not enough for groundhogs. It's accuracy calls to me like a siren, but I am disappointed when I have used it.

In regards to rifles, I have never liked any Savage I have owned.

Also Thompson Center, who could make an uglier gun to sell? Their products also seem to rust easier than anything else I have owned.

AR15 is not on my love list. Too many parts, aluminum on steel, that god awful spring you have to feel and hear while shooting. It feels like a toy.

I know you didn't mention scopes, but I have had nothing but bad luck with Burris and I would put them in the don't like column. I do love their rings.

Never had a bad burris. Only have about 4 though.

AR15, put some lube grease on the spring and noise goes down. Its actually a GOOD thing to be able to hear it though, its a mental indicator if you are doing things right or not. If you can hear the spring, you are not paying attention to shooting, but rahter the noise or other, and its telling you your groups will not be good. Proven again and again at matches.... FWIW.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
163 members (338Rules, 32_20fan, 358WCF, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 22 invisible), 1,993 guests, and 955 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,648
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.