Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I am primarily a hunter of big game. I live in the middle of really great rockchuck country but I prefer shooting jackrabbits. I have used rifles, scope included but no shells or sling, from 6# to 10#. Obviously the lighter rifles are better for packing.

I am very picky which ends up meaning I spend a lot of money per rifle. Being frugal, I find myself wanting fewer rifles so I expect my primary hunting rifle to be versatile and do lots of things very well. I want a rifle appropriate for taking on a super expensive Asian sheep hunt that can make a "money shot".

For me, around 7-4 all up, is just right. This mean around 6-14 w/o shells and sling.
A 22" barreled 280 AI fits the bill if ammo is not a concern, or if worldwide ammo availability is a concern then get a 270 and a good supply of R26.

Last edited by RinB; 06/01/17. Reason: Typo

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
BP-B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Rick,

BS--though not on your opinion about rifle weight. Obviously you know what works for you.

I'm calling BS on: "Being frugal, I find myself wanting fewer rifles so I expect my primary hunting rifle to be versatile and do lots of things very well."

You're a rifle loony in need of a 12-step program. Since I've known you, you've gone from swearing off spending thousands on nifty custom big game rifles to reducing your "collection" to one or two. And then you've swung back the other way. You're like a yo-yo dieter, because like any real rifle loony you keep wondering about The Rifle That Will Change Your Life--and then go after it, again and again and again...

It takes one to know one.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
W
WDEA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
MD, agreed we are ALL loonies here!

There isnt enough lifetime to send everything I want downrange but it sure is fun trying !

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
My "heavy" all around rifle is almost exactly 8lbs. For mountain hunting or backpacking, I have a 6lb kimber.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
John, my friend. Laughing loudly. Of course you are correct.

About 15-20 years ago I went thru my safe and found that I had actions, barrels, and stock blanks for 20+ projects. Each of those sticks would but one or two factory rifles. All were to be built on very nice Mausers and p64-M70's. The money to complete them would buy a 2500 sf house. Around that time I bought the very first M700 Ti rifle I saw and it was so good that I never used anything else for BG hunting. Well I had a big sale. Of course that Ti went thru three different barrels and three different stocks. The Ti was sort of grabby and caused a problem on a second shot at a big eland so it went down the road. Then came three 270's built on actions I got from Melvin back when such was possible. Then another Ti clone on an x-treme action which was also grabby and went away. Now I have the parts for yet another Ti actioned 270. Went thru 5 Kreiger 1-9 and 2 Bartlien 1-9.25 .277 barrels. TOTAL MADNESS.

Now, I have four slots for hunting rifles. The rifles in those slots still come and go pretty frequently. One slot has had three Kimber Montana's since last November. I keep trying to improve on the last version of perfect. Fortunately I stick to my "275" cartridge choice (270+280/2=275).

Last edited by RinB; 06/01/17.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Well, admitting you have a problem is the FIRST step. But based on personal experience, I doubt it will help!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
W
WDEA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Back in the day when Jarrett started building the in-famous "beanfield" rifles, I had quite a few on M700.

Then came his TriLock action, so I added a couple more.

My tastes changed and those moved on, went to M70 style actions, a slew of Dakotas then over to Nesikas.

Now back around to a smaller safe and a few reliably predictable rifles and such.

However, glass is a whole other thread!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
740 members (10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 86 invisible), 2,732 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,702
Posts18,399,996
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.