Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I have to admit that is not a bad reticle. What do you hunt with the rifle it's on?

GB1

For your use, I would find a Leica ER (or ERi if you want illuminated) 2.5-10x42mm or 3.5-14x42.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by jimmyp
I have to admit that is not a bad reticle. What do you hunt with the rifle it's on?

Small game, it's on a 17hmr. Paralax goes down to 10 yards and is a dream to operate (very similar to my NXS). Clicks are very distinct, turret caps are the best I've ever seen (extremely easy to take off and put back on, and they stay snug with just a little tightening). Everything about it is top drawer.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
my NXS is on a target rifle due to the fine complicated reticle. very good scope and has illumination green and red, but I hunt deer and the image can be complicated when the leaves are off the twigs in late season. Nice scope for a targets, but the MOAR is not a fast reticle. I cant stand Leupolds quality, but they do a lot of stuff right in the reticle, image and weight department. If its just on a deer gun I can live with it.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by 59Hunter
For your use, I would find a Leica ER (or ERi if you want illuminated) 2.5-10x42mm or 3.5-14x42.

This!!!!! Especially for the money I am seeing attached to these others being suggested. For a few dollars more you can have a Leica.

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by msinc
Originally Posted by 59Hunter

This!!!!! Especially for the money I am seeing attached to these others being suggested. For a few dollars more you can have a Leica.

I wasn't all that impressed with the Leica ERi 2.5-10X42. YMMV

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Athlon Optics 2.5-15x Ares is due in this week. This is a scope assembled in quality Chinese facility made from Light Optical Works lens systems and internals. 30mm tube 50mm objective First Focal Plane Illuminated hashtag reticle, moa or mil-radian. Selling price will be about $800. Weight is decent at about 27oz; actually fairly lightweight for "great glass" scope.

Light Optical Works also builds the Athlon Cronus line. I bought the BTR model for longrange demo and evaluation. The BTR is a 34mm tube with all the premium features and optical quality that ranks with The Biggest Pricetag Scopes. Clarity and sharpness that measure in miles not yards. At $1800 the Cronus BTR is a stellar value.

Personally, why compromise a lightweight rifle with a 2lb plus scope & mount system? If intent on a great glass scope, the Athlon Ares and Cronus models are worth a look for sure!
www.athlonoptics.com see the link for download of catalog. There are many other models at lower price points with FFP and Illum reticle systems. The optic quality is truly excellent on even the lower price scopes. Lifetime transferable warranty, of course!

I do have dealer affiliation with Athlon. They are very much worth your evaluation.

W
Wilkup Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by hogan
Athlon Optics 2.5-15x Ares is due in this week. This is a scope assembled in quality Chinese facility made from Light Optical Works lens systems and internals. 30mm tube 50mm objective First Focal Plane Illuminated hashtag reticle, moa or mil-radian. Selling price will be about $800. Weight is decent at about 27oz; actually fairly lightweight for "great glass" scope.

Light Optical Works also builds the Athlon Cronus line. I bought the BTR model for longrange demo and evaluation. The BTR is a 34mm tube with all the premium features and optical quality that ranks with The Biggest Pricetag Scopes. Clarity and sharpness that measure in miles not yards. At $1800 the Cronus BTR is a stellar value.

Personally, why compromise a lightweight rifle with a 2lb plus scope & mount system? If intent on a great glass scope, the Athlon Ares and Cronus models are worth a look for sure!
www.athlonoptics.com see the link for download of catalog. There are many other models at lower price points with FFP and Illum reticle systems. The optic quality is truly excellent on even the lower price scopes. Lifetime transferable warranty, of course!

I do have dealer affiliation with Athlon. They are very much worth your evaluation.

I actually placed an order for an Athlon Ares 4.5-27x50 back in February with the expectation they would be shipping out to dealers the first couple weeks of March. Instead, I received notice they were behind and the new ship dates were mid to late April after contacting my dealer after missing the expected ship date. No big deal, I'm used to things in the firearms industry being slightly optimistic with expected release dates. My easy going attitude changed upon receiving my most recent update my dealer relayed to me last week. The Ares 4.5-27 ship date has once again been delayed, and won't be available until July! At that point, I decided I was no longer interested in pursuing this wild goose chase, especially considering the date could just be pushed back again come July. They may be an incredible bargain, especially at the discounted rate I was receiving, but I need an optic in time for my bear hunting season. I have no interest in the release date being postponed again, and I can't wait until July to get my scope.

To their credit, I received a FULL refund, which means I'd likely be a customer at some point in the future when the timing and R&D has been thoroughly fine-tuned.

As it stands, my money is leaning towards a Tract Toric of Steiner GS3 for this hunting rifle.

Last edited by Wilkup; 05/23/17. Reason: Autocorrect mistakes
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

591 members (10gaugemag, 10GaugeKS, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 22250rem, 61 invisible), 2,165 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,286
Posts18,448,796
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.