Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Wilkup Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Like the title says, I'm seeking advice on optics.

Here's a few I'm interested in:
- Steiner GS3 2-10x42
- Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42
- Tract Toric 2-10x42
- Vortex Razor HD LH 2-10x40

This glass will be going on a dedicated lightweight hunting rifle. I know a Leupold would work too, but want to try something different, and potentially with a little more quality.

My rifle is a 300 WSM, weighing in around 6.5 lbs with optic. Shots on game will typically be inside 600 yards, but I'm sure I'll practice killing steel/paper out to 1,000+ yards since there's not harm done if I make a bad call.

GB1

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Well, you know where I stand Wil! grin

There are a few more reviews on here about TRACT optics as well.

Always feel free to give me a shout

Trevor
Tract Optics
www.TractOptics.com

Use discount code: 24HOUR5 for 5% off your order!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Swaro z5 3-18x44 is less than 16 ounces and excellent optically.

I've heard great things about the razor hd lh too.

I tried a conquest hd5 and was underwhelmed.

I haven't seen the steiner or tract yet.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
The Steiner has some of the best glass and the very best eye box I've ever encountered. It's a better eye box and glass that any of the others and better than a VX6 which is touted as having an excellent eye box. The Steiner reticle is the only negative for me.Ypu may however like it The 4a is extremely thin. Get the other one unless you like razor thin.

I have not seen the Tract. I've heard good things.

I've owned the Conquest HD5. Thick hunting reticle but I would pick any other on the list first.

Razor is great glass and I like the G4 reticle. I have the 1.5-8 version on my Montana and have looked at the 2-10.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by slm9s
Swaro z5 3-18x44 is less than 16 ounces and excellent optically.

I've heard great things about the razor hd lh too.

I tried a conquest hd5 and was underwhelmed.

I haven't seen the steiner or tract yet.

x2 Get one with the ballistic turret and 4w reticle, best glass and weight for the money.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
how about the 3.5-10x44 meopta Doug sells for $350. Hard to beat that for the price.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
i'm with the guys recommending the z5, really like that scope.

Jay Wiggins
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Wilkup

- Steiner GS3 2-10x42
- Tract Toric 2-10x42

This glass will be going on a dedicated lightweight hunting rifle. I know a Leupold would work too, but want to try something different, and potentially with a little more quality.

My rifle is a 300 WSM, weighing in around 6.5 lbs with optic. Shots on game will typically be inside 600 yards, but I'm sure I'll practice killing steel/paper out to 1,000+ yards since there's not harm done if I make a bad call.

I have the Vortex you have listed. I like the glass and scope seems to track very well. No problem holding zero on a Forbes 308. Only dislike is the dials, they are not crisp , they are mushy.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by jeeper
Originally Posted by Wilkup

- Steiner GS3 2-10x42
- Tract Toric 2-10x42

I have the Vortex you have listed. I like the glass and scope seems to track very well. No problem holding zero on a Forbes 308. Only dislike is the dials, they are not crisp , they are mushy.

Nothing he listed has crisp clicks including the Swaro Z5 recommendation. I like all of them including the Z5 but the Steiner is the easiest to get behind by a lot. You can literally roll your head around and back and forth twice as far with the Steiner as any of the others and keep full view. The others aren't bad by any means and it wouldn't really matter unless you were hunting driven game.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
We call that "eye-box" and it does matter, perhaps more in hunting than in target shooting, because when forced into an awkward position in order to get stable it makes it way easier to find the picture and keep it.

My hands-down favorite is the Trijicon Accupoint 2.5-12.5x42. When you are forced to look into a dark area for your quarry and the reticle disappears you still have the bright aiming dot, with no battery to run down. Superb clarity, eye-relief, eye-box, controls and reticle. They go for $1,100 in many places but can be gotten BNIB for $900 if you shop around. I got the MoA-Dot/MoA but they also make it in Mil/Mil.

Once you get used to that green dot you never want to go out without it again.

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by RimfireArtist
We call that "eye-box" and it does matter, perhaps more in hunting than in target shooting, because when forced into an awkward position in order to get stable it makes it way easier to find the picture and keep it.

My hands-down favorite is the Trijicon Accupoint 2.5-12.5x42. When you are forced to look into a dark area for your quarry and the reticle disappears you still have the bright aiming dot, with no battery to run down. Superb clarity, eye-relief, eye-box, controls and reticle. They go for $1,100 in many places but can be gotten BNIB for $900 if you shop around. I got the MoA-Dot/MoA but they also make it in Mil/Mil.

Once you get used to that green dot you never want to go out without it again.

Yes sir, eye box is the proper term. I use it often but sometimes don't ,not being sure everyone understands. I've been intrigued by that model Accupoint since they first came out. I've not been able to lay hands on one yet though.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
There are a lot of great scopes out there but I chose it over comparably priced scopes made by Leupold, Vortex, Nightforce, etc. After having it I was so happy with it I bought a second one. My NXS is a terrific scope but the new Trijicon quickly became my FAVORITE scope. Good luck whatever you decide on.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by RimfireArtist
There are a lot of great scopes out there but I chose it over comparably priced scopes made by Leupold, Vortex, Nightforce, etc. After having it I was so happy with it I bought a second one. My NXS is a terrific scope but the new Trijicon quickly became my FAVORITE scope. Good luck whatever you decide on.

You've also peaked my interest on this scope. Been looking at the discontinued VX6 2-12 but this looks to be right in that same ballpark in terms of cost and weight: 22.4oz for Trij vs 16.8 for VX. Cant tell from Leupolds website if that weight is illuminated or non. I would guess that illumination would add a few oz's and make the weight pretty comparable if not.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Not sure on the weight, but I did a side-by-side comparison of those two and the Accupoint had very noticeably better clarity than the VX6. The APT is a little heavy but I figure it is well WORTH IT to have the fiber-optic reticle, great glass and very solid construction.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have not looked through the Tract scope, I have the HD5 and like it better than the others, I've been shooting stuff with Zeiss goes for quite a while so it has a familiar look and function to what I'm used to in a hunting scope. I love the Z600&800 yard reticles they are very fast and accurate

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
the Steiner looks nice, but that reticle would get lost where I hunt, I am not sure about turning an accupoint window around all the time to adjust brightness. If you want to spend just $1000 or so the options are more limited these days than they were 10 years ago. I have a vx6 1-6, its been back to the factory once, but I like the reticle in it and hunt with it in the same places I hunt with a 1.5-6 zeiss victory. I have a NF 2.5-10 amazing scope but I don't like to hunt with it in GA because of the reticle. I myself would be interested in the steiner if it had a decent #4. The glass is just one part of the selection, the mechanics and the reticle are as or more important.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
"All the time?" I almost never adjust the brightness. If I'm shooting for an extended time (like targets or pests) on a very sunny day I might take the 2 seconds necessary to turn the wheel to lower the brightness a bit. Otherwise it stays on 100% all the time. At night the tritium comes on, but you don't have to do anything to make that happen. It is always there, you just can't see it unless the fiber-optic is dark.

The terrific thing about illumination is that it lets you get away with a fine reticle, which blocks out less of your picture when you are searching for game and is much better for target shooting, and yet because of the small glowing dot it does not matter if your reticle gets lost when looking into a dark area. Trijicon takes illumination one step further by making the dot glow automatically, and with no battery to worry about. The fiber-optics in the older Trijicons were nice, but this new system is incredible. Unfortunately it is available only in the 2.5-12.5x42 now, but that is about an ideal size for hunting anyway, unless you are going after sheep and feel you must keep your scope below 14 oz. The 2.5-12.5 is a little over 22 oz.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I would love to see a picture of your rifle and optic. A good #4 does not need illumination and follows the KISS principle. That said I am curious about this new system from trijicon.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by jimmyp
the Steiner looks nice, but that reticle would get lost where I hunt, I am not sure about turning an accupoint window around all the time to adjust brightness. If you want to spend just $1000 or so the options are more limited these days than they were 10 years ago. I have a vx6 1-6, its been back to the factory once, but I like the reticle in it and hunt with it in the same places I hunt with a 1.5-6 zeiss victory. I have a NF 2.5-10 amazing scope but I don't like to hunt with it in GA because of the reticle. I myself would be interested in the steiner if it had a decent #4. The glass is just one part of the selection, the mechanics and the reticle are as or more important.

The 4a on the Steiner GS3 is extremely thin but I thought the S1 plex was adequate.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by jimmyp
I would love to see a picture of your rifle and optic. A good #4 does not need illumination and follows the KISS principle. That said I am curious about this new system from trijicon.

Here is a blurry, crooked photo I took with my iPad, but it at least gives you an idea of the reticle's dimensions:

[Linked Image]

When you look into a dark area the dot still shows up great. The dot here is hard to see only because I couldn't get the picture in focus. In actual use you have a bright pin-point of light:

[Linked Image]

You can find photos of the scope itself at trijicon.com. I'm all about KISS but a thick reticle so you can see against dark areas is a second-rate solution. This Trijicon keeps things very simple but lets you enjoy a thin reticle all the other times. Even the mil-dots (actually MoA dots -- they are 2MoA apart at max power) are very small, which I really like. Can't say enough this scope. There is just nothing else quite like it out there.

Last edited by RimfireArtist; 05/21/17.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

371 members (160user, 1lesfox, 1Longbow, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 32 invisible), 2,758 guests, and 971 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,283
Posts18,467,788
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.