Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
ChanceD Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I've been wanting a Winchester pre64 model 70 since I was a teenager. Over the years I've had several opportunities to purchase one, but I seem to always find another way to spend my money. Recently, I was in a pawn shop while working and noticed a lone rifle lying on the bottom shelf of a glass case. I noticed the hole in the bolt handle first and just knew it was a model 70. As I confirmed the rifle was what I thought it was, I noticed the price was set at a reasonable $750.00. It should be noted that the rifle was wearing a Weaver K6 in some very high see through rings. The rifle was also equipped with a vintage Bucheimer leather sling.

I asked to speak to the manager of the store. As he was walking over, I noticed this rifle was the only one in the shop that wore a wood stock. I informed the manager that I may be in the market for a more traditional looking rifle and asked if this old rifle was the only one that they had in stock with a wood stock. The manager looked behind him at the rifles in the racks and shrugged his shoulders saying, "looks like it." I asked to look at it and he obliged me. Upon further inspection the rifle was a 30-06 featherweight, the bluing looked good, and the bore was clean and bright. The stock had several small dings and scratches, but no cracks in the wood. After a bit of haggling, I offered the manager $600.00 out the door. To my excitement, the manager agreed to the price. Well, there you have it, I'm now the proud owner of a Winchester Model 70 pre-64. Check out the pics and tell me what you think.

Last edited by ChanceD; 05/16/17.
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by ChanceD; 05/16/17.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Awesome man. Can't wait to see the pics. One of my most prized possessions/rifles is a pre 64 model 70 (made in '56, the same as both of my parents) 30-06 featherweight. That's the ONLY rifle I will never get rid of, unless I give it to either my mom or dad. Congrats on getting one of the best rifles on the planet!!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Nice find, the bolt jeweling is a reflection of the times in which the rifle was made--think chrome and tail-fins on cars--and while it detracts from "collector" value it in no way harms the rifle's function. You've got a rifle to be proud of, now get out and shoot the heck out of it!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That's a great rifle, made in '56 just like mine.. You probably know that it isn't all original, with the recoil pad and bolt jeweled. Excellent shooter/hunter right there though. I'd take one of those old rifles over a new one any day of the week and twice on sunday.... Congrats and let us know how it shoots. Are you going to put a different set of scope mounts on it?

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Oregon45
Nice find, the bolt jeweling is a reflection of the times in which the rifle was made--think chrome and tail-fins on cars--and while it detracts from "collector" value it in no way harms the rifle's function. You've got a rifle to be proud of, now get out and shoot the heck out of it!

Now he just needs one of those spare mcmillans you have laying around to finish it off.... wink cool

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
The rifle will be shot and hunted with. Im definitely going to switch the mounts to a vintage one piece redfield and some lower rings. I may put the K6 to use also. As soon as I get the scope mounted in some proper mounts, im going to put some loads together and see how it shoots. Very excited, and yes, I know it's not 100%, but I'm ok with that. The way it is, I'll definitely use the rifle.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Your picture of your "pre 64" shows NO extractor on the side of the bolt body!!

[Linked Image]

Explain.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Original pre 64 M70 action:

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Savage: you need to have your eyes checked.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That's why he only shoots 2 shot groups.. He has a hell of a time seeing the target... eek grin

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Show us a better picture.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The extractor has been jeweled. You can see that clearly. crazy

C
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Its there, tomorrow I'll get you a pic of the top view.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That action that does not show an external mauser style extractor again:

push feed action

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Geese, we all know what a push feed M 70 looks like. And we all (except you,apparently) can see a pre 64 with a jeweled bolt and extractor. Try cleaning your glasses, or perhaps pulling your head out.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
One can blow up the pictures already posted and the jeweled Pre' 64 extractor can be seen.

I do think some careful work with emery cloth can "un-jewel" much of bolt, if someone was of a mind to.

ChanceD, I don't know the market well, but if the length of pull is not too short (looks OK in the pics?) and if the rifle is accurate, then I think you made a hellofva deal for $600!

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GunDoc7
One can blow up the pictures already posted and the jeweled Pre' 64 extractor can be seen.

True for all but one apparently.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
You can also see the extractor collar (now "in the white") which, of course, a push feed gun does not have.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Now, how in hell BSA can read the serial number to date the gun is a mystery to me . . .

Well, I guess I can blow it up enough to make pretty good guess. I'm having the most trouble with the second digit from the left.

Last edited by GunDoc7; 05/16/17.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

676 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 67 invisible), 2,963 guests, and 1,330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,479
Posts18,451,860
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.