Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I've found myself unexpectedly in the market for a new .375 H&H. The requirements are as follows:
- controlled round feed on a Mauser/M70/workalike action
- forward mounted iron sights to serve as backup sights
- 100% reliability with factory softs and solids
- reasonable accuracy, as gun may be used for up to 400y shots on lighter game
- sling studs must be on stock (as opposed to a barrel band) to avoid compromising barrel free float when using a Rhodesian sling
- cost is a factor
- blued/wood cosmetics

Based on these requirements, it appears I have three options in new production rifles: the Winchester M70 Alaskan, Montana Rifle Company AVR, and CZ 550 American. All three are available on Gunbroker. None are available locally. They all cost within about $100 of each other - the same for this purpose. I doubt I'll have a chance to try any of them before buying. I've owned several recent M70s, so I think I have a good idea what I'd get if I bought the Winchester. My concerns are that it might be a little on the light side (and thus recoil-happy) and that the rear sight is somewhat limited. The MRC and CZ are mysteries to me but I've had one bad experience with a CZ 550 in another caliber a friend owned that would not feed reliably. I'm looking for people who have had experiences with these rifles in terms of reliability, accuracy, general workmanship and customer service who can recommend which is preferable and why.

Alternately, if there's something else new or used that would fit my requirements better (perhaps a Browning Hi-Power commercial Mauser?) chime in with that.

Last edited by Llama_Bob; 05/17/17.
BP-B2

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
Check around for Interarms Witworth, Zastava. I feel this would be my route given the parameters. Some of these may have barrel band mounted front sling ring. Does Husqvarna do a 375 H&H? I know all of these rifles are worthy of consideration. May have to gunsmith off a barrel band option(why??) Or just installed a stock stud. The Winchester Super Express(no longer made) has a silver soldered on barrel swivel mount, not a band. All are capable of rear Peep/ghost ring sight. Ruger made an excellent classic 375 H&H as well(barrel band). All are floating around on Guns International, Gun Broker, Guns America and others. Your blued/wood requirements will limit you a bit. Used guns would be a real worthy look into. As far as personal real world expierence for me with a CRF 375H&H, Winchester by a mile, BSA, Interarms/Witworth(maybe too light in weight for you) Ruger. I personally don't like the Ruger bolt, but that is purely me. CDNN has a deal on Win M70 375H&H now. Yes, The Alaskan. And The Safari Express. But, with that barrel band. Alaskan has a rather long 25 inch barrel. Side note, Weatherby SV2? Not CRF, but only $640. Cool that you are gonna do some kind of great hunt. Alaska Brown Bear? Lion? Cape buff? P.S. maybe a 375 Ruger?

Last edited by Zengela; 05/16/17.
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I don't have a hunt scheduled for it per se, but my old FN Mauser build was bought from a family member years ago with the agreement that he could buy it back when he got back on his feet. He has, and I was thrilled to sell it back. But now I'm without a .375. I'm sure whatever I get both guns will go for Colorado elk and black bear this year for starters. Beyond that, we'll see.

I've always thought the .375 Ruger was a solution in search of a problem, but if there was a rifle which met my requirements that chambered it, I guess I'd consider it. I load for weirder things... The M77 African looks close, but the barrel band is a (minor) issue. The weight is also apparently lighter than any of the other options, which I'm not in love with.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
A CZ .375 H&H will weigh about 9-1/2 to 10 lbs,depending upon the scope you use. Also the CZ will hold 5 rounds of .375 H&H ammo. The M 70 and MRC will probably weigh in the 9 to 9-1/2 lbs range,again depending upon which scope you use.

Had a CZ .416 Rigby and had zero problems with the feeding of soft or solids in the rifle. If you encounter such problems,call CZ and most likely they will fix it.

My Interarms Whitworth .375 H&H weighs 9-1/2 lbs with a Leupold 2.5x scope. Found it late last year in a LGS for $850.
[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
What's the deal with the Interarms Mausers? Are they current production, or did it stop? Who made the actions and barrels? At first look that gun in the picture would meet my requirements very nicely, at least if it shoots well...

IC B2

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Interarms is now Zastava. Do not know who makes the action and barrels.

I am using a 300 gr Swift A-Frame in the rifle and IIRC the accuracy is in the 1" to 1-1/4" range at 100 yds. From the 24" barrel,it's averaging 2630 fps.

http://www.zastava-arms.rs/en/civilianproduct/sporting-rifle-m70-standard

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
Look into BRNO as well. Believe they make 375. My old Zim pH has a 458 Lott BRNO.

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
P.s. very cool of you to be a nice pawn store for a buddy. Had my father long ago do the same thing. Sold them to him with the option to buy back. Now I got them and it is just a great thing. Wish more fellas had good buddies to fall back on when times get tough. Hospital bills, truck breaks down. Loose a job. It happens. Now stop with the barrel band hating!! Just kidding(I actually like them. A lot)

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Look into a used Interarms Mauser. One of the best 375 ever made, and should fit your needs exactly.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Have a MRC .338 RUM and it weighs just over 9 lbs,with a Leupold 3x-9x scope. It feeds,fires,extracts and ejects with no problems. Accuracy was around .75" at 100 yds with a 250 gr Nosler Partition. Would not pass on one in a .375 H&H.

[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
IC B3

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
338 RUM. Great round. Not widely known or used. Took my 1st Alaska Brown bear with one. No B.S. story here. My 375 was busted in half with a nasty note in my rifle case from some anti! Happened somewhere between Aspen Co, Denver CO, Seattle Was, Anchorage Ak, Sodatna Ak. Was a nice stock. Learned a lesson about either taking 2 rifles or a synthetic stock. Used my guides gun. Got to practice with 2 shots then on we go. He then used my Beretta Extrema with the plug taken out with 3.5 inch #2 steel that I was gonna try for Alaskan ducks. Friggin antis! Cops were basically like "good luck" figure out what city and state it happened and you figure out who to call.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I love the 375HH and have a few of them.

I have a M70 Alaskan but an older stainless laminate one, Its been a great gun, 100% reliable. ITs pretty banged up these days from being dragged through brush and weather on the peninsula but its still a great gun.

I have a Weatherby Vanguard s2 in 375HH and I have less experience with it because its new, Ive only shot it at the range but its been a great gun for the $$$. While its not as cool as some of my other guns, I have no complaint for the cost.

Finally I have a kimber talkeetna, but that dosent fit your criteria, its stainless with a composite stock and has a barrel band. Its one hell of a rifle to be honest. Its worth a look.

L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Aren't BRNO the same as CZ? Or am I getting my euro gun companies mixed up?

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Yup,CZ and BRNO are the same.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
Sorry. As I don't deal with CZ much, didn't know BRNO was one and the same. They make so many guns, under different names. Same with Zastava. People can get mixed up.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I would not turn down a rifle just because it has a barrel band on it. Very easy to add a stud to the stock.

L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I agree that adding a stud is not hard. And I may very well end up buying a M70 Safari and doing just that just to get a heavier rifle relative to an Alaskan. But it's not an approach I'm eager to take any more than I'd solder other random pieces of metal to my barrel I don't intend to use. It's a purely cosmetic issue, but as long as I'm buying a nice rifle cosmetics matter some. And with production of the M70 moved almost entirely out of the US, I don't have any particular loyalty to Winchester. That's why I'm trying to gather info on the non-Winchester options.

Last edited by Llama_Bob; 05/18/17.
X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Yup,CZ and BRNO are the same.

There is an exhaustive discussion of the subject at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C4%8Cesk%C3%A1_zbrojovka_Uhersk%C3%BD_Brod

L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I took the plunge and bought a Montana AVR in .375H&H. Figured I'd give the US company a chance. Plus it has a pretty stock with nice straight grain laugh Now to see what I get...

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I took the plunge and bought a Montana AVR in .375H&H. Figured I'd give the US company a chance. Plus it has a pretty stock with nice straight grain laugh Now to see what I get...

cool, let us know how you like it, Ive wondered for a long time what those AVRs are like but never got to see one, Id like one in 35 whelen.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
681 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12308300, 57 invisible), 3,141 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,742
Posts18,401,219
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.