Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
U
Uncas Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
On the very cusp of a road trip to Big Timber, or at least an expensive phone call...what do I find in 123 Pawn Walla Walla but a fine Shiloh carbine with my list of wants and some better than I deserve lumber. 45/2 1/10 " barrel sights shotgun stock. A transition gun. C.Sharps on the Badger and Shiloh on the reciever...and no waiting at an are you kidding me price. APDSN0864 is here with me, even though he is a thirty inch barrel kind of rifleman, even he thinks it is a looker. I like everything about high walls except I am never quite sure how to grip the S lever.. Nothing wrong with an 1875 either but when the stars align...what is a feller to do? Oh, most certainly it safe under my bed where I can feel the blue steel and big side hammer. I feel like Ralph and his Red Rider.

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
BP-B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Cool and a short road trip to ! You still in OR? Kurt

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
U
Uncas Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
Resident status with a tag for everything but sheep and goat. Working salmon smolt project on the Snake River...brought Ed along for a change of pace.

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Congrats !

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congrats indeed!

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
You couldn't have better company than Ed, to many letters, when traveling or shopping for guns. tell Ed, hello from S. Texas. Rio7

U
Uncas Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
We have taught together, fished, fenced, plumbed, gun smithed about twenty years now. If he could just overcome his shyness.

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good score smile

I saw a Dakota Mini-sharps last weekend, in .38-55, a trim lovely little thing with a no-so-trim price. I'd love to have it, but it will have to wait a while....

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Yep, He's a real wall flower. Rto7

U
Uncas Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
No opinions, preferences at all. A real bore.

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Uncas
No opinions, preferences at all. A real bore.

And a small bore at that... grin

Gents, Bill has a real prize. Four digit Shiloh serial # (1700 range), extra fancy wood, and the fit & finish we expect to find on a Shiloh Sharps. It's been shot, but not much, carried very little, and shows honest stock dings from briskly ejected brass.

We cleaned a very small amount of BP fouling from the action that appeared to have been coated in RIG. NO rust at all, anywhere.

It has the normal cast bullet leade, not the 7 degree, but she should still shoot.

Interestingly enough, we visited LOMO Gun & Pawn in Lewiston, ID today, and they were moving an early Shiloh Saddlering Carbine Model 1863 in .54 caliber while we were in there. Tough to let that one out of my hands, but I have enough on my plate right now.

I'm "helping" Bill get all of his "necessities" together so he can enjoy this addiction as much as I do. grin

What are friends for???

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
You want to watch Ed, he goes crazy in Pawn Shops, been there done that with him . sounds like you guy's are having a great time. Rio7

U
Uncas Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
Serial range is 71xx. Ed is a charter member of the DDA. Dislexia Association of America, and he is my sponsor, too!

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Serial range is 71xx. Ed is a charter member of the DDA. Dislexia Association of America, and he is my sponsor, too!

Actually, it's ADA, Drunks Against Dyslexics.

Blue, speaking of pawn shop guns, have you shot that High Standard yet?

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
On the very cusp of a road trip to Big Timber, or at least an expensive phone call...what do I find in 123 Pawn Walla Walla but a fine Shiloh carbine with my list of wants and some better than I deserve lumber. 45/2 1/10 " barrel sights shotgun stock. A transition gun. C.Sharps on the Badger and Shiloh on the reciever...and no waiting at an are you kidding me price. APDSN0864 is here with me, even though he is a thirty inch barrel kind of rifleman, even he thinks it is a looker. I like everything about high walls except I am never quite sure how to grip the S lever.. Nothing wrong with an 1875 either but when the stars align...what is a feller to do? Oh, most certainly it safe under my bed where I can feel the blue steel and big side hammer. I feel like Ralph and his Red Rider.
Pics?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I apologize for the poor lighting, it was the best we had.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Ed

Last edited by APDDSN0864; 06/12/17. Reason: too many pictures in one post

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Ed

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Very nice.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Umcas..
Nice rifle ! Congrafualtions on the pruchase.

Here are a few insights as to what you actually own..

I actually made many trips through Big Timber in the mid 1980s and 1990s and have owned my share of Shilohs , so I know a bit about the guns.
Wolfgang Droege who founded and owned Shiloh spent a bit if time over those vists explaining to me how the guns wete made at that time and why they were marked as they were .

Your gun is not a "transititional" gun but a normal run of the mill Big Timber , MT Shiloh made from about 1980 to around 1987 when Shiloh and C Sharps split their partnership.

The guns themselves were made almost enitirely at the Shiloh plant. They were then stamped C. Sharps Arms on the barrel by John Schoffstall as C .Sharps was the exclusive distributor of the Shiloh rifles until about 1987

They had either Douglas barrels (milled octagon from round blanks) or were rifled right in the Shiloh plant by Wolfgangs crew in the Shiloh plant. Badger barrels did not even exist when your rifle was made. Ernie Stallman was working for Boots Obermyer until about 1991.

Does the barrel have the OLD RELIABLE stamp on the top barrel flat?

Last edited by jk16; 06/19/17.
U
Uncas Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
Yes, it is stamped Old Reliable on the top flat. The barrel is an eight groove 1X4 I took it for a Douglas at first, but it looks like a cut, lapped affair, very nice looking at that.

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
114 members (32_20fan, 01Foreman400, 338reddog, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 9 invisible), 1,403 guests, and 703 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,882
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.