Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
What's the good, the bad and the ugly about the new Model 70 Extreme Weather?

I was all geared up to buy a Kimber Montana, but I held one this morning and wasn't awe struck by it like I thought I would be. I also looked at the M70 and liked the balance and the price seems right for the quality.

So what say you guys? Do you have one? Would you recommend one? Caliber would be 7mm-08.

BP-B6

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I currently have both a Kimber Montana (8400, 84M, 84L) and a M70 EW in 300 WSM. I also picked out a M70 EW in 30-06 for my best bud. Needless to say, I've shot all the above many, many times in cartridges from 257 Robts to 300 WSM.

Thoughts:

1. Montana is definitely lighter by alot. My 84Ls have weighed right at 6.5 lbs with Talley and various Leupold VX-3 scopes. My EW weighs 7lbs 12 oz, my bud's 06 a shade under 8lbs even though it has a 22" barrel.

2. Ergos - both fit me well. I'd say the EW probably a tiny bit better. The newer 84L stock feel 'dainty' compared to the EW stock.

3. Both actions are smooth although the edge probably goes to the EW. All the ones I've handled have been very smooth. I also have a new model M70 Ultimate Shadow. I don't notice much difference between it and the EW action.

4. Accuracy - I've had 'remarkable' luck with Montanas getting them to shoot MOA. All the EWs have been equally as accurate and are likely a tiny bit easier to shoot because they weigh a bit more than the Montana.

As for me, I'd go Montana in 7-08. I can't fathom a 7.75 lb 7-08 which is about where you'd end up with in a M70 EW. But if you're not lugging it around mountains, a M70 7-08 works.

Good luck.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Everyone who has one sure seems to like them.

If you don't need the super lightweight of the Kimber, then I'd recommend getting something a bit heavier like the Extreme Weather.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I don't have an extreme weather or kimber montana but have handled and considered both. I liked the feel and balance of the model 70 featherweight better than either. My featherweight in 7mm08 weighs 6 lbs 9 oz, (just the gun) and is my 2nd most accurate gun regularly getting 5/8 of an inch (4 shots.)

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Thanks guys!

I started out really wanting a 7# rifle all up, but honestly the Montana felt really whippy and unbalanced to me.

As far as mountains, I hunt in Alabama... I'll hunt the Midwest some for whitetail and may do Africa plains game in a few years.

IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Hello,

I have both of these rifles and they are the only hunting rifles I really use anymore (other than 22s). My montana is a 308 and has been perfectly accurate and reliable despite the horror stories, the kimber goes with me when there's going to be long hikes or steep terrain involved. It does feel smaller than the m70 but it's supposed to. I really love this rifle and I've taken sheep, moose, elk, blacktails, white tails and comes deer with it over the past ~ 2 years.

The m70 extreme conditions is easily my favorite rifle that I own, it's not the lightest but far from heavy, mine seems to not fuss much with any load I've shot through it. It's smooth, robust and well balanced and I have no complaints about it. Eventually I'll put it in a
McMillan stock but for now, no complaints.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I forgot to add, my m70 is a 30-06.

If I had to choose 1 rifle for everything, that would probably be my choice.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I too have 2 Aw in 308 and a 270 in Mcmillan I also have a couple of FW 7-08 and 06 both in mcmillian. I love the actions the 308 is the most accurate rifle. I had a montana 308 nice gun it was too light for me to shot off hand I find the AW just right. So yes i like them.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've owned both, and still have the M70 EW in 308. It shot lights out with the B&C, but was a little too thick in the wrist. It now resides in an Edge, fits me like a glove, and is still lights out.

Retired and Loving It!!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I too have 2 Aw in 308 and a 270 in Mcmillan I also have a couple of FW 7-08 and 06 both in mcmillian. I love the actions the 308 is the most accurate rifle. I had a montana 308 nice gun it was too light for me to shot off hand I find the AW just right. So yes i like them.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
IC B3

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
And now you guys have me about ready to just get it in 30-06...

It is my most used caliber. I only have one right now and it's an auto (BAR). Already set up to reload...

Dang it guys, I thought I was settled in 7-08!

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by BrowningGuy88

It is my most used caliber. I only have one right now and it's an auto (BAR). Already set up to reload...

IMO, the m70 extreme in 30-06 is nearly perfect.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
There's only 1 obvious solution - buy 1 of each. A 7-08 and a 30-06 would make a good combo. 140 in 7 for deers, 180/200 in the 06 for stuff that really need killin'.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Nothing posted in this thread should make you change your caliber choice. It's a great platform for all calibers.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

If I was going to get one, it would be in a 30-06. I do want one in a 30-06 actually.

Camp is where you make it.
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
I own two of the M70 EW. The current offering is great and only takes two items to make them a true tier one rifle.
1-add an Ernie the Gunsmith trigger spring Ernie trigger spring
2-Mcmillan stock of your choice. I went with a Hunter with Edge fill.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...re-winchester-extreme-30-06#Post12038594

I even have a McMillan compact stock that is like new and unbedded that could be sold along with this rifle.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.
Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have both in 308. In factory form it is really close. With a Leupold in Talley Lightweight mounts on both the Kimber will weigh just a hair under 6 lbs. The EW in the factory stock will be almost 2 lbs more. I find the Kimber to be ALMOST too light, and the EW ALMOST too heavy but they are reasonable. Both have the potential for excellent accuracy, but the fact is that I shoot the EW slightly better.

I bought the Kimber 1st. The EW was an impulse buy when I found it used at an attractive price. I ran across an Edge stock in the classifieds here for the EW and after putting it on it has completely changed my perspective on the rifle. Weight is now 7 1/4 lbs which I find to be a perfect compromise between carryability and shootability.

But an EW+Edge stock is going to be a lot more expensive rifle than the Kimber. If a rifle slightly under 8 lbs scoped doesn't sound bad I'd lean toward EW as my 1st choice. You could change the stock later if you decide it is worth it.

I hunted with 30-06 since the early 1970's. Not a thing bad to say about the round, but after buying a 308 about 7-8 years ago none of the 30-06 rifles have gone hunting. If a 7-08 or 308 ain't big enough to kill it a 30-06 ain't enough bigger to matter. When you start shooting sub 8 lb rifles the difference in recoil offered by either of the '08's starts to make a difference.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have one in 30-06, and it is one of my favorites. The B+C stock is chunky in the wrist, but serviceable and a step up from an injection molded stock. I went with a Hunter's Edge, and it really transforms the rifle. My trigger is fine, so I did not go with an Ernie the Gunsmith trigger spring (yet). Either a 7-08 or 308 would be a fine choice for an EW, IMO.

I also have a couple of Kimber Montana's. If I'm going to be hoofing it up and down the mountains a lot, their lighter weight is very noticeable (even with the Edge stock on the EW). As others have alluded to, for me the EW is a bit easier to shoot consistently well.

They are both great guns. If you are covering a lot of uneven ground on your hunts, to me the Montana has the advantage.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by sigguy
I have one in 30-06, and it is one of my favorites. The B+C stock is chunky in the wrist, but serviceable and a step up from an injection molded stock. I went with a Hunter's Edge, and it really transforms the rifle. My trigger is fine, so I did not go with an Ernie the Gunsmith trigger spring (yet). Either a 7-08 or 308 would be a fine choice for an EW, IMO.

I also have a couple of Kimber Montana's. If I'm going to be hoofing it up and down the mountains a lot, their lighter weight is very noticeable (even with the Edge stock on the EW). As others have alluded to, for me the EW is a bit easier to shoot consistently well.

They are both great guns. If you are covering a lot of uneven ground on your hunts, to me the Montana has the advantage.

Thanks!

I think I've settled on the EW, but I'll take a look at the X-Bolt Hells Canyon before I buy. I've settled on the 7-08.

Sounds like most folks are happy with the EW, don't here much at all about Browning X-bolt's though.

Last edited by BrowningGuy88; 05/19/17.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
501 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 160user, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 46 invisible), 2,218 guests, and 1,013 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,171
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.