Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
krupp Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Out of Galesburg, Illinois. Having wet dreams looking at their website. Any body deal with them and how was your overall experience.

THX

Last edited by krupp; 05/18/17.

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've been to Simpson, LTD, a couple dozen times. The store is rifle loonie heaven, but they tend to grade a little high, so be prepared to be a little disappointed if you order on-line.

BOTTOM LINE: I would recommend them if you are there in person, so that you can inspect the firearm before making the purchase. I would recommend caution if you're making a purchase decision based on the pictures/description/grading on their site. There is a salesman at Simpson LTD, Floyd, who has been very helpful when ordering on-line. A strong Caveat Emptor.

EDIT: If you're interested in a LR 98 Mauser action to build on, you can find Husqvarna 640s built on FN Commercial actions, usually in 30-06 and 8x57, with poor stocks or poor bores that can often be bought for under $300.

Last edited by 260Remguy; 05/18/17. Reason: Added what I'd forgotten to post originally
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
I bought one of their Husqvarna 46s in 9.3x57. I am well pleased with the rifle. I looked at a lot of them and pored over the descriptions before settling on the one I have. A lot of gun for the $300. It shoots exceptionally well. The service was great. I don't recall the name of the guy I dealt with but he was pleasant and helpful.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have bought many rifles from them in the past. They recently got several nice Husqvarna's in. However, whoever they have listing them these days is wrong on his descriptions.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wrong in what way?

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by z1r
I have bought many rifles from them in the past. They recently got several nice Husqvarna's in. However, whoever they have listing them these days is wrong on his descriptions.

[Linked Image]

I agree. The guy that has started listing for them in the last 2 weeks is not accurate in his descriptions (primarily regarding quality/condition) and often times fails to mention very important details (at least to a collector).

Give me land, lots of land, under starry skies above. Don't fence me in.
z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nit picky stuff but nevertheless important. For instance, listing Husky M46A's as M46's. M246's as M146's, they were chambered in different cartridges. Or Model 649's as M146's.

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Agreed, in the last few days I've seen glaring imperfections (non-original) omitted from the descriptions. Extra holes drilled in the rear sight base, etc. Certainly something a collector wants to know before placing an order.

That said, I've dealt with them for many years with only two purchases I was less than happy about. Both related to condition being described as better than it was.

On the flip side, I scored a nice M46AN that was listed as a 46. Less than 230 were made.

They do provide good pics for the most part and one should really have a look before biting. They do stand behind their product and offered both times I wasn't pleased to refund me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Does anyone know why the guns are all peckered up. Not dents and dings but missing stuff and ham handed customized. Is it just time and culture or am I missing something.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
First off, they're OLD, Secondly, due to Swedish gun laws, folks are more likely to alter their rifle to suit their needs. With the exception of the late model 640 series and 1600 series, these rifles were built as open sight only rifles. Folks wanting a scope had to modify their rifles.

Most alterations I've come across have been related to the addition of optics, e.g., drilling & tapping for scope bases or side mounts, altering bolt handles, and adding scope friendly safeties. Or, they have been repairs of or replacements of stocks. Husky stocks are prone to splitting behind the tang due to poor bedding.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Wrong in what way?

They also don't know much about the combination guns they sell. They list Post war guns having 8X57JR chambers and bores, but they all ( or almost all ) are "S" bore guns. They can't accurately identify Valmet shotguns with any accuracy, either.

I've bought about a dozen guns from them, and the guns tend to be a bit edgy sometimes.. BUT, they also have some bargains if you shop wisely and ask them questions.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

S
SWJ Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have purchased several rifles from them and have been happy with all of them. Have also noticed the prices on the Husqvarna and Mauser 98 rifles have gone up about $100 to $200.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by SWJ
Have also noticed the prices on the Husqvarna and Mauser 98 rifles have gone up about $100 to $200.

When nice ones sold within 30 minutes of being listed, that gets noticed. Prices were bound to rise.

Yeah, the gun descriptions have gone all to hell in the past few weeks.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The rifles that I've bought from Simpson's have fallen into three tiers;

Tier one had quality higher than expected for the price or were in an unusual/uncommon configuration. (x4)

Tier two had quality in sync with the price. (x6)

Tier three had quality lower than expected for the price. (x2)

Simpson's will occasionally under-price a firearm and they occasionally have a firearm in an unusual/uncommon configuration, but those scenarios are, at least in my experience, much less common than for them to over-grade the firearms.

If you're looking for a Husqvarna 46 in 9.3x57 or a SR "strengthened" 640 in 8x57, Simpson's had a pile (literally) of them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My one and only purchase from them don't go too smooth. It seems someone there forgot a gun went missing was retrieved, sat in their inventory for 2 years. I bought it not knowing the history. When the cops showed up at the LGS where I had it shipped, it was a bit unnerving. Seems the BATF tracks those type of things. Cops confiscated the rifle. It took 2 weeks to get the issue straightened out but I did get the rifle back. I would buy from them again but will ask a few more questions.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I've purchased a number of sxs's and combo guns, all but one has been as described and the bad one was one they would have had to remove the locks to see, stock was broken with parts of wood missing. They were willing to take it back but I kept it as the price was really low and I needed to do other repairs to it.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Only bought one M46 9.3x57. It was perfect from all the pictures but it had one chip out of the toe which was described. Otherwise the rifle is in amazing condition for the money I paid.

Semper Fi
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I've bought 2 rifles from Simpsons and was satisfied with both quality, price and service. I tried to visit the store 2 years ago as I passed through Galesburg (IL).. Unfortunately, they didn't open until 1 PM and I had to make time.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Simpsons Ltd has a *lot* of old guns in their inventory, and the condition varies widely. I live fairly close, and deal with them face-to-face in their store, so not really up on how accurate their website descriptions might/might not be.

If you're anywhere near Galesburg, it's worth a stop just because of the sheer number and variety of the guns they have in inventory. When I looked at their website about a week ago they had three, THREE, Webley-Fosberrys in.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
The three times I called on something it was sold already. So if you shopping on-line, look often and be fast.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
741 members (222Sako, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 21, 77 invisible), 2,696 guests, and 1,370 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,624
Posts18,398,651
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.