Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
The last time I was in the market to upgrade my kit, I asked opinions on this forum. Based on the feedback I purchased the Canon 7D MK 2, and several "L" lenses plus the 15-600 Tamron.

The two lenses that I currently use the most are the 24-70 F2.8 and the Tamron 150-600, with the Canon 70-200 F2.8 a very close third.

I'm now thinking of buying a Canon with a "full frame" sensor. Before I purchased the 7D mk2 I had thought of acquiring a 5D MK 3. However I thought that the 7d2 would be more to my tastes. I've had a ball with it and do not regret that choice one bit. I am thinking that that a FF DSLR might allow for a few more options on the close end.

However, since I purchased my 7d Mk2, Canon has brought the 5d Mk 4 to market.

Price is always a variable. However, price is not the number one factor in my decision.

I enjoy getting good value for my money, but their is also merit in purchasing equipment with the idea of delaying "creeping obsolescence". So here is my question. The older 5d Mk3, or the 5d Mk4.

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 05/18/17.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
GB2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A landscape photographer friend really likes his 5DS R for its added detail and ability to print big, especially when stitching panos.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
On creeping obsolescence. Remember, if it was of good quality and did a good job when new, it is still the same device five years later. Don't get caught up in your neighbors shiny new toy. Therein lies the vast majority of personal money problems in our country.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
G
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
On creeping obsolescence. Remember, if it was of good quality and did a good job when new, it is still the same device five years later. Don't get caught up in your neighbors shiny new toy. Therein lies the vast majority of personal money problems in our country.

[Linked Image]

Don't typically have that problem.

Last year when my 1998 Ford Expedition ( 300K+ miles) and my 2006 Polaris Sportsman cratered on the same weekend, I caught a ride back the 300 miles from my lease. I went back the next week to pick them up in my 1997 Ford F-350 that has been totaled twice and put back together each time. . It has +/- 400K miles. Recently upgraded with a set of matched injectors, rebuilt turbo, cold air intake and a 5 way chip all done by my son at his shop! I'm waiting for someone to come along and hit me so I can get a fresh paint-job.

I eschew buying depreciating assets on time at interest. Unlike a crack-head, I finance my addictions/obsessions with the profit I make from buying and selling different stuff.

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 05/19/17.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Canons are awfully heavy

Take a look at the Sony A2RII. You can use any kind of lenses you want with proper adapters. Quality is there as well.

IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by 22WRF
Canons are awfully heavy

Take a look at the Sony A2RII. You can use any kind of lenses you want with proper adapters. Quality is there as well.

saw this!

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1333228-REG/sony_ilce_9_b_alpha_a9_mirrorless_digital.html

Wow, that pops!

ya!

GWB

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Unless you do video, connect the camera wirelessly, or shoot at very high ISO's, you'll likely see little benefit going with the latest and greatest full-frame Canon. I'd get a very clean, last-generation Canon Mk 5 and shoot it until it quits, which should be quite awhile.

Remember: you only "date" the camera body. You marry your lenses. Save money on the body and put it toward good glass.

Last edited by Oregon45; 05/19/17.
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 22WRF
Canons are awfully heavy

Wow! There is an impressively wide choice of lens adapters! LINK

Great to not have to buy new lenses!

John

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd take the A2RII sensor size over the A6's speed anyday.
Here are some adaptors for lenses. https://fotodioxpro.com/collections/lens-mount-adapters
A good place to go to see lens rankings: http://www.photodo.com/browse-lenses/sort-mtf-score-desc/p-1
Notice as you go down the list that zoom lenses don't start showing up until the third page!!!!!!!! Get the A2RII with the big sensor, use lens adaptors, and get fixed focal length lenses (used if you can find them) for the best quality photographs you can make with a 35mm size camera!

Last edited by 22WRF; 05/21/17.
I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
Funny this subject comes up. I am more and more interested in a full frame too. I have a Nikon d3100. Nice camera but I just think the full frames have enough better quality to justify price. I dont mean to hijack the thread but the cost of some of these Cannons. 2K is for starters. How much can there be between the 7D and 5D? And I think the question fits in the thread, can I notice a picture between a Cannon 80D and a 5D ? . . . and the 80D is no slouch, is it?

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
IC B3

R
Ron Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
80D is not full frame.

Capt Ron

Magnolia Bluff, FL..............Where Heaven is a local call!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
Thanks Ron, I found that out ! The price ya pay for them I thought for sure they were full frame. I want to add to the thread instead of hijack it from Geedubya. In order to go full frame Geedubya has to go to a Cannon d6 or d5. For Nikon , it is a 610 ,750 or 810. The reason I am interested is cause with the bigger sensor , it has to have a faster shutter speed , or more aperture than a cropped sensor. Is the full frame 1 stop faster? If it is one stop faster , like 1/125 speed compared to 1/60, I can take a better picture with the full frame. They are about an extra $1,000 though. If I take 10,000 pictures in 10 yrs and have 100 pics that turned out great instead of blurry, or a shallow apurature then it is worth it. With my Nikon 3100d, I have had many pictures that were just not quite in focus, or the focus was not quite on the target, or it was just a bit blurry that would have been really , really good pictures. I will never have the chance again to take those pictures. Like my Aunt Tootie with my dad at the reunion last summer. Both are gone now . In the long run , I think an extra $1,000 is cheap, but will I have better , clearer, sharper pictures?

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
596 members (007FJ, 160user, 219 Wasp, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 60 invisible), 2,413 guests, and 1,118 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,597
Posts18,398,217
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.