Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rost495

We drug anchor once in a big storm around Thanksgiving... out of a cove on Montague... We never thought... all were asleep, and it started to get really rougher than it should... talk about the Lord protecting his one... wind and current were correct and we shot right out of the protected cove, middle of the bay out into the "ocean". Lets just say land was no where near when we woke up and turned on the lights.... and then on the way back in, fuel ran out, lucky it was friend of a friend... he knew what happened and crawled down to switch tanks...

It didn't dawn on my until later how damn lucky we really were... and then to miss an almost sub surface 40ish foot power pole floating... or just a log I dunno... it was not small... on the way in

That would make for a memorable trip.

GB1

C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Been sportfishing for fun the last week or so. Having a blast right in front of town picking up kings and the occasional halibut. I literally don't even get the boat up on step and troll from the harbor. My foster kid and I were out the other night for an hour. Doubled up on a king and a 55lb halibut. Her first king (and fish). She handled the king like a pro and then I handed her the other rod and she got the halibut up and I gave him a good beating. Trolling with downriggers. A few more weeks and then I knock out 65 or so guide days, with some trolling mixed in.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Calvin; 05/14/17.
C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Momma has been getting in on the action too..

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great looking family and very cool pics.

Is that your Almar you just rehabbed? How's those Merc 150's working out?

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by FishinHank
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Not every hatchery king gets clipped up here, only the ones with coded wire tags. I think about 10% get the CWT if I remember correctly.

Why are they still clipping adipose fins when there is a ton of evidence it compromises the fish?

I don't know the answer to that one. It probably compromises the fish less than clipping other fins and they need to be identified somehow.

What I have seen shows they are very compromised by losing the adipose... and just consider the rubric of the inferior hatchery fish... the only real difference is the highly enervated fatty tassel...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Calvin
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Very cool. Some great pics. Thanks for taking the time!
Do you keep track of your wild vs hatchery ratio? Looks like at least a couple missing adipose in that box pic. We were running about 5:1 (wild to hatchery) out of Homer this winter.

It changes quickly. One bite I was on had a high hatchery/white component. They were paying a bit more for whites, so that was nice. Another bite had just 1 clip fin out of 34 I brought in.
White king makes fantastic sushi but I've never had it cooked, how does it compare to regular king?

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Yes it is. Mercs are working out well. Very efficient.

[Linked Image]

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
As to white king cooked; some will say it has a higher oil content and they can taste a difference. To my palate, if im being honest with myself, I couldn't tell a difference if blindfolded. And we eat a lot of king...

C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
The light pink/orange with some white marbled in is the best for me. The darker red stuff is ok, but not as good, IMO. Straight white isn't as good.

When I pull fish out of the freezer, the lighter the color, the better it seems to be. Orange is definitely better than the more red kings. Probably what they are eating in the ocean.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
White and red kings are the same species. The difference in flesh color comes from their genetically determined ability to metabolize pigments in their food. The pigments, called cartenoids, are found in their diet of shrimp, krill and crabs, according to the Alaska Department of Fish and Game. White-fleshed kings don't have the genetic ability to break down their food and store the red-orange carotene in their muscles.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
And the best thing about white kings is they are all Canadian, eh.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

White kings are not strictly canadian. When I worked at whitman we had jacks that came back as white kings. They were tagged as whitman fish so unless there is a canadian hatchery using their same tags, its highly unlikely.

Straight off F&G

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=wildlifenews.view_article&articles_id=244

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The light pink/orange with some white marbled in is the best for me. The darker red stuff is ok, but not as good, IMO. Straight white isn't as good.

When I pull fish out of the freezer, the lighter the color, the better it seems to be. Orange is definitely better than the more red kings. Probably what they are eating in the ocean.

Agree on this big-time. Man, I miss fresh fish!!!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

White kings are not strictly canadian. When I worked at whitman we had jacks that came back as white kings. They were tagged as whitman fish so unless there is a canadian hatchery using their same tags, its highly unlikely.

Straight off F&G

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=wildlifenews.view_article&articles_id=244

Kings more than most will visit different rivers before heading up to spawn in their natal river. It is my understanding that all known white king spawners are from Canada's Fraser River. Talk of Chilkat River whites has not been proven, but that may have changed since I last saw a study write-up.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Straight off F&G

Kings more than most will visit different rivers before heading up to spawn in their natal river. It is my understanding that all known white king spawners are from Canada's Fraser River. Talk of Chilkat River whites has not been proven, but that may have changed since I last saw a study write-up.

Kinda hard to argue that when the tag data doesn't lie. :-) There are some kings coming out of Whitman that are white kings. Maybe not as many as out of the Frazier

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Several years ago we boxed a white king on the Kenai during the July season - and it was not a tidewater fish, as it was up at Sunken.

C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
We get white kings back to our hatchery here. I've caught them out of the creek. Lately most of the white kings are get are clipped fin. We do have a run of bigger white kings that show up here in late May that visit the same areas every year. Not sure where they are going, but they are some slugs.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
So the hatcheries are the contamination source? They never used to get them. The early literature does not mention them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've caught quite a few white kings on the Fraser. Some good sized ones. If it is a 20+ pound fish, seems more often to be a white. Folks I know up there call them Harrison lake kings.

Personally, I haven't had them side by side so can't comment on red/white/pink. Fresh still rules the taste factor in my world!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes it is. Mercs are working out well. Very efficient.

[Linked Image]

What a great boat. Step down floor make standing room in the pilothouse? How much setback on the bracket?

I'd love to lose the I/O and doghouse taking up room on my deck and hang a set of twin 150-200hp OBs on a bracket. Even a single 250-300 would be sweet, and likely make more sense for me. But alas, my boat is just a toy. Hard to justify the outlay if it ain't making money. Outboards are fuggin pricey!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

669 members (12344mag, 1eyedmule, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 64 invisible), 3,088 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,698
Posts18,456,728
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.