Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
jerry46 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I have been hunting and shooting for many years. I shoot bench rest, shoot in scopes, freehand, etc. I still don't know exactly how to hold the gun. I am told grip the forearm, don't grip the forearm, lay your hand on the barrel, lay your hand on the scope, and so on. I am told to pull the butt stock into your shoulder firmly, pull the butt stock into your shoulder lightly, don't touch the butt stock, and on and on and on. I was even told that it varies with different calibers. Is there a proper way to grip your rifle or not grip your rifle while shooting bench rest? Does that change when shooting in a scope or shooting freehand? I shoot bench rest with a .22 and .223. I hunt with a .308, 7mm-08, .270 and occasionally a 30-30.

GB1

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I keep the stock firmly against my shoulder... Sandbagged, nothing touching wood.. Sometimes I hold my left hand on the barrel just in front of the scope, other time on the scope.. But ALWAYS THE SAME HOLD WHEN SHOOTING A GROUP! I like the stock firmly against my shoulder, and the same hold from shot to shot..

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I don't want anything touching the barrel. When I shoot from the bench my left hand is squeezing the rear bag. When offhand target shooting the stock is supported by the thumb and a couple fingers. When hunting shooting offhand I lightly grip the forend and hold the rifle lightly like I would hold a BB gun.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I may do it differently, but when shooting for group, consistently.

I strongly suspect my rifles are better shots than I am....

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
First I get everything set up on the rear bag and front rest taking pains to be sure the forend is in the exact same place on the bag and the crosshairs are lined up on the aiming point - this without being in shooting position.

For light kicking rifles up to about .243 or .25-06 or even .260, I let it free recoil. Hold the shoulder a couple inches away from it and hold the grip as loosely as possible, being sure to squeeze the trigger straight back. Generally I pinch the back of the pistol grip with the thumb only touching. I also use a front rest with side screws that can tighten in and somewhat capture the sides of the forend. Some folks even use the trigger pinch, meaning squeezing the trigger with the thumb behind the trigger guard and not touching the grip at all, but that gets kind of painful in the .25-06/260 area as the rifle comes back and bangs the thumb.

On heavier recoiling rifles I get the rifle set up as described above then without disturbing the aim I snuggle in behind the rifle and try to pull it back to my shoulder as straight as possible, and then squeeze as straight back as I can. Everything is done to try to prevent steering the rifle under recoil in any way. Torque seems to be the enemy when you get to the .270/.30-06 level so I will sometimes pinch the forend between my non-shooting hand. It's a bit harder to get a consistent grip that way so you have to really concentrate on it, but when I do get it consistent groups really tighten up and uncalled flyers tend to go away.

I also get all "zen'ed up" before each shot, taking a couple of deep breaths and letting my muscles totally relax with my body in the same position behind the bench each time.

Whether this is the best way, I don't really know but it seems to give me the most consistent results. I think consistency of technique is really the key more so than any one special technique, as long as everything is the same when you squeeze the trigger the rifle should recoil the same way.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
jerry

The only grip I use is firm enuff to keep the stock firmly against my shoulder. NOTHING else touches the barrel, scope, or stock.
The forend is laying on a good firm bag, not too soft or hard.

As someone else said,----- CONSISTENT.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 05/20/17.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hold the forend and dont let them free jump unless they wear a bipod

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I hold it like I plan to shoot it in the field. I want to know how it reacts to a hunting hold.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I hold the forearm, I don't like the rifle jumping around.

I know my rifles shoot better than I do.

Last edited by hanco; 05/21/17.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
I hold it like I plan to shoot it in the field. I want to know how it reacts to a hunting hold.

I understand your purpose. However in 'group' shooting and trying to find out 'how accurate the rifle is, I try to eliminate human error as much as possible.

AFTER determining the accuracy of the rifle or load, THEN I shoot field/hunting positions.

edit to add: I intended to include this but forgot.
Even with an 8 mm RM and 200 or 220 gr bullets, I don't hold the forend. Most of the recoil is REARward. There is some muzzle jump but it's not a lot.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 05/21/17.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
When group shooting only, my right hand is lightly on the grip/trigger and my left hand is tucked underneath back toward the rear of the buttstock to adjust the rear bag for elevation.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
When group shooting only, my right hand is lightly on the grip/trigger and my left hand is tucked underneath back toward the rear of the buttstock to adjust the rear bag for elevation.

10-4 understand. Not too different from myself.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
When I have a half a dozen to shoot , I take my lead sled.

Get close with sled, fine tune with sand bags. Mine are made from 25 lb lead shot bags.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

This is a very good plan. Unless you expect a bench to spring up in your favorite game field, it makes sense to shoot it like you plan to use it.

I will shoot from a bench for convenience in a way that duplicates field positions with a sling - downward pressure on the forestock, none on the scope or barrel, and a firm handshake grip on the rear stock. A rifle with a decent stock will experience no POI shift between that and slung prone/barricade/slung sitting

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jwall

AFTER determining the accuracy of the rifle or load, THEN I shoot field/hunting positions.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Here's how I hold(picture copied from web):
[Linked Image]

I've done it that way for as long as I can remember. Light weight, the heavies, RF, magnum, big magnum, etc, I hold them all the same. Shockingly and against internet rumor, they surprisingly all shoot the same from field positions. Who would have thought.....

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

Geez, I thought one could figure out the accuracy by shooting field/hunting positions. Silly me

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Geez, I thought one could figure out the accuracy by shooting field/hunting positions. Silly me

Originally Posted by jerry46
I have been hunting and shooting for many years. I shoot bench rest, shoot in scopes, freehand, etc. I still don't know exactly how to hold the gun.

I am told grip the forearm, don't grip the forearm, lay your hand on the barrel, lay your hand on the scope, and so on.

I am told to pull the butt stock into your shoulder firmly, pull the butt stock into your shoulder lightly, don't touch the butt stock, and on and on and on.

I was even told that it varies with different calibers.

Is there a proper way to grip your rifle or not grip your rifle while shooting bench rest?

Well "jerry 46" asked for a number of reasons.

"silly" is never a word that comes to mind where you are concerned. Altho S H is appropriate

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 05/23/17.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
See What I Mean - S H ?

[Linked Image]

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by tedthorn
I hold the forend and dont let them free jump unless they wear a bipod

I find that it benefits me to hold the firearm comfortably into the shoulder with my left hand holding the forearm not too far forward and allow the recoil to move my body rather than attempting to jam the butt into my shoulder and rattling my teeth very time I shoot.

With a light rifle on a rest I prefer to keep my hand under the forearm, with a heavy rifle I hold the forearm down as I use a rest with them anyway.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 66 invisible), 2,345 guests, and 1,209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,543
Posts18,453,276
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.