Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Pugs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
All,

Wife and I have returned from our Ireland trip. This was really planned for her to visit some places of her ancestors of three generations ago and learn a little bit more. She asked me what I wanted to do and I told her a day of trout fishing would be great. I did some research and ended up with Louginville House. This would also give her a little break in the on the 10 day Dublin, Cork, Galway, Dublin circle. In short an amazing experience at a level of society that doesn't exist many places. That being said, the staff and managers were really wonderful and there is nothing at all wrong with having a welcome Cider sitting in the sun with a couple of the estate dogs.

[Linked Image]

The cider is from apples grown on site.

[Linked Image]

Headed down to the river (the Blackwater) and the pheasants were everywhere (phone pics)

[Linked Image]

Fine looking river stained brown with the springs from the bogs but pretty clear.

[Linked Image]

The Gillie, who was one of us a very avid hunter and fisherman of any and all sorts.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Pugs; 05/19/17. Reason: fix pic

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
GB1

Pugs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The trout were numerous, as were the bugs hatching but no solid set of rises so fished nymphs, the plus there is that the gillie said salmon often grab trout flies. There were some salmon in the river and I saw one roll. I fished his 9' 6 weight with typical flies I would have fished, a hares ear and a pheasant tail. With the color of the water they were not leader shy and I'm guessing we were fishing 3X with size 14-16 flies. Much heaver than I normally use. Average trout are not big and average 1/2 lb so most of what I caught was pretty average. I caught 12-15 fish in three or four hours and had a great time.

[Linked Image]

Typical boxes but much more organized than mine!

[Linked Image]

I've caught a fair number of trout in my life but not any under the ruins of a castle before!

[Linked Image]

Truly a great trip and this was only one stop of it.

Last edited by Pugs; 05/19/17.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Very nice, thanks for sharing!!!!!!

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

A very worthy post and pic's. The history and people (the castle) of the past there I can only imagine.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What a great trip. I can't want to hear more about it.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Truly the Emerald Isle. Think I'll watch "The Quiet Man" smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm jealous and it brings back memories of my trip to western Europe. I didn't get to go fishing in Ireland but i did manage a couple of days on the Usk river in Wales. I also spent a day at a small lake near where I was staying, in the town of Usk, casting flies from shore. I caught a brace of decent browns from the lake. One on a Montana nymph and the other on a black gnat. I caught three or four 8" to 12" browns in the river swinging dry flies They wouldn't hit a fly that was dead drifted as well as one that was "skiing".

I also enjoyed many good pints of very good beer while I was there.

I know you had a good trip Pugs. Ireland was truly the Emerald Isle when I was there in early spring and it had some of the most breath taking scenery I've ever laid eyes on.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Sounds like fun

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Very nice. I'm going next year with family and I would like to do some fishing, for at least a half or full day.

Pugs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by abbydog
Very nice. I'm going next year with family and I would like to do some fishing, for at least a half or full day.

You won't regret it - This is a useful site - http://irelandflyfishing.com

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great color on the fish, and it looks like a place where I could easily relax.

1Minute
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Absolutely spectacular!

Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other the person to die ......

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
In Zimbabwe Jesse bush with my 375 H&H or on stream like that and I am in heaven. Truly special.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Looks like a great time, and you got some nice fish to boot.

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Thanks for sharing your story. Looks like a great place to stay and spend some time.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looks like Nirvana. I dream of one day going to Ireland and Scotland. Not necessarily to fish, but that would sure be a bonus. With the "unrest" in Europe these days, I don't know if it'll ever happen.

Pugs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SCGunNut
Looks like Nirvana. I dream of one day going to Ireland and Scotland. Not necessarily to fish, but that would sure be a bonus. With the "unrest" in Europe these days, I don't know if it'll ever happen.

My day of fishing was a break in the middle and a nice break from the town side of things. I've traveled a fair amount (43 countries if I count properly) and this was my first time to Ireland. There are many places I won't go back to again nor some I would take my wife to but Ireland defines low threat environment. Always smart to keep your head about you but it was safe. There are places I won't go in Europe but Ireland isn't one of them.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

603 members (10GaugeKS, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 1_deuce, 63 invisible), 2,202 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,286
Posts18,448,724
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.