Print Thread
Hop To
O
osix Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Help me decide, looked through a Leupold VX3i 3.5-10 this afternoon and while it's a nice enough scope was a bit underwhelmed.
Within the price range is there anything better ?

BP-B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I can't see enough difference in the VX-3's to justify the price over the VX-2. I liked the now discontinued Zeiss Conquest in 3-9X40 a lot better. For a while you could pick up the Conquests at the same price as VX-2's. They were made by Meopta and sold under a couple of other names, but I don't think that scope is still available new at all anymore. While I've never actually used it, Meopta makes a similar 3-9X42 that is priced about the same as the VX-3. I'd look at one of those before making up my mind.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JMR40
I can't see enough difference in the VX-3's to justify the price over the VX-2. I liked the now discontinued Zeiss Conquest in 3-9X40 a lot better. For a while you could pick up the Conquests at the same price as VX-2's. They were made by Meopta and sold under a couple of other names, but I don't think that scope is still available new at all anymore. While I've never actually used it, Meopta makes a similar 3-9X42 that is priced about the same as the VX-3. I'd look at one of those before making up my mind.

if you like the meoptas and discontinued conquests then look at the 3.5-10x44 meopta doug has, its a deal.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I just go a good deal on a used Cabel's Euroscope in 3x9x42 which is a Meopta scope with a different name. Cabela's even advertises them as made by Meopta and the scope has a Meopta label on it as well. Compared to my VX 3 2.5x8x36 it sure looks like better glass to me. That being said, you won't beat the deal on the Meopta 3.5x10x44 that Doug from Cametrland has on special.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Sightron S-TAC to me has better glass than the vx-3i.

David Tenney [email protected]
US Operations Manager
Trophy Game Safaris
Southern Africa
Tino and Amanda Erasmus
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Online Mad
Campfire Regular
J
A Meopta you could probably get fixed , I am afraid of one of my Conquests going south and getting replaced by a Terra by Zeiss customer disservice.

There is no retreat but in submission and slavery!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by jimone
A Meopta you could probably get fixed , I am afraid of one of my Conquests going south and getting replaced by a Terra by Zeiss customer disservice.

That would never happen with a Leupold...

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Why get an equivalent? Why not just get a Leupold???

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
a better way to go about this might be to see what best fits your use,

let us know what rifle your using it on, game, distance and your budget, from there you can get some good recommendations, then you can go check them out or try them at the range if guys who shoot there have them, i always recommend people check out optics themselves as it'ssome what subjective.

Jay Wiggins
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Where was this scope you looked though during the afternoon and were underwhelmed? Inside a store?

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
IC B3

O
osix Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by kenjs1
Where was this scope you looked though during the afternoon and were underwhelmed? Inside a store?

Scope is for a sporter weight 22 mag to be used on small game out to 100 yards or so, budget is about $400
When comparing scopes in store I'll pick the most distant dark corner and try to identify detail, perhaps not the most scientific method of comparison but indicative.
I was hard pressed to tell the difference between it and a Nikon costing significantly less; was expecting more of the VX3i.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have owned a lot of scopes and ended up with more Leupolds than anything else, both VX-2 and VX-3s including the VX-3i.

I feel that they are a very good value with, probably, the best guarantee in the industry. I have some Conquests and Meoptas, but still like the Leupolds. The 3.5-10x40s are my favorites.

I have a couple of Kahles and a Zeiss Diavari that also are among my favorites, but I have never needed any warranty on them.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
My bil recently had an old Conquests 3-9 go tits up on him. He sent it to Zeiss and they were sending him a new Terra 3-9 to replace it. He wasn't familiar with the Terra and didn't want to take a step down in quality. I encouraged him to call Zeiss and offer to pay the difference on an HD5. He called and told them his concern Zeiss sent him a HD5 2-10 and no upgrade charge. If that's disservice I'll kiss you azz. Lots of times it's just presentation when talking with customer service depts., demand upgrades and you probably won't get it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
666 members (163bc, 06hunter59, 09wingates, 007FJ, 160user, 77 invisible), 2,671 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,605
Posts18,398,367
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.