Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Anyone know where I can get my hands on some Trinovid 40009 binoculars? From what everyone says the older version Trinovid is better than the newer HD version. I just can't locate any.

Also, what would be your 2nd choice in the same price range, or even less, if I can't locate the Trinovids? I've been looking for new binos for some time now and I'm ready to put some in my hands finally.

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
The Tract Toric are very tempting but my biggest concern is if I decide I don't like them they won't hold resale value compared to other brands. Also, thinking Vortex Razor HD's might be good choice but not sure I want to spend over $1000 ... hoping to stay under $1000

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Several I'd choose before any Leica personally. Meostar HD, Toric UHD, Razor HD, Conquest HD. You'll have resale issues with a Leica too because they screw over the 2nd owner with their pathetic warranty and customer service practices.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I have opportunity to purchase a Vortex Razor HD 10x42 that's brand new in sealed box for $900 but wondering how I know they're the newest version? Aren't the Razors on their 3rd generation now? I'd want to be sure they're the newest version.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I guess you could get a serial number and call Vortex.

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Would you jump at that price?

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Meopta, Zeiss conquest, leica trinovids, or the nicer vortex binos. you stick with any known reputable names resales is going to be good. the new leica's are nice as well, i wouldn't let that hold you back if you find some at a good price.

Jay Wiggins
V
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
V
Definitely recommend the vortex 10x42. Okay expensive ! Yep! Tooo expensive ! ... mad But excellent quality, lifetime warranty, multi-layer coatings, and o-ring seals.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RickyBobby
The Tract Toric are very tempting but my biggest concern is if I decide I don't like them they won't hold resale value compared to other brands.

Ricky, you can lose $200 on the Leica or $200 on the Toric. $200 is still $200 no matter how much the initial cash layout.
The Toric will set you back less at the outset.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have two pair of 10x42's.

The cabelas euro/ meoptas non-hd and Kahles.

Both are top notch.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Are there many folks on here using the Tract Torics? Are they comparable to the Trinovids in clarity?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Would you jump at that price?

I wouldn't personally. The Tract Toric UHD is better, and for 60% of the cost.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have the Leica 4008 models, older trinovid, not new hd. They are super. Same glass as non hd ultravid. Leicas are built like a tank and much smaller than other brands, mine are about the same size as some other brand 8x32. You can't go wrong with them. I see tons of Leica stuff sell second hand in a flash, I have had Leica stuff for 30 years, including a range finder, never had issues so no CS experience except Needed new eye covers on a set of compact bins I lost, they sent with a call no charge.

Spence

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
FWIW I checked a little fence the other day using Toric HD 10x42's.

Uber view and too nice for side by side glass.

As soon as I held them steady enough I could see wires against the grass. Probably half mile away with good light.
(creek crossings and the usual snow break spots)

Last edited by SamOlson; 05/21/17.
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by SamOlson
FWIW I checked fence the other day using Toric HD 10x42's.

As soon as I held them steady enough I could see wires against the grass. Probably half mile away with good light.
(creek crossings and the usual snow break spots)

Sam, I'm thinking I may order both the 8x and 10x Torics and try them both if they'll let me send back whichever I decide against ... or both for that matter. I'm giving them a call in the very near future. I have a bummed eye right now and been running back n forth to eye doctor but as soon as my eye is back to 100% I plan on making it happen. Just don't want to make a bad decision when my eye isn't 100%.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by spence1875
I have the Leica 4008 models, older trinovid, not new hd. They are super. Same glass as non hd ultravid. Leicas are built like a tank and much smaller than other brands, mine are about the same size as some other brand 8x32. You can't go wrong with them. I see tons of Leica stuff sell second hand in a flash, I have had Leica stuff for 30 years, including a range finder, never had issues so no CS experience except Needed new eye covers on a set of compact bins I lost, they sent with a call no charge.

Spence

This ^^^^^^^^

I have the same model 10x42 Trinovid with the same experience; if you want Leica's, then buy Leica's; highly doubt that you'll regret it.

But truly, as others have pointed out, today there is plenty of really, really good glass available & you'll be hard pressed to tell a lot of difference on most situations. If I were buying new today, I'd probably not buy a new Leica.

Unless you are going to have more than one set of bino, I'd not buy an 8x, but that's just my preference.

MM

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Every single pair of binoculars mentioned in this thread are quality units, if you can find a good deal on any of the above mentioned you will have made a good buy. However some of the binoculars mentioned excel at different things. I compared the Razor HD and Meostar HD very closely. The Razor is light, and slim, the Meostar porky and built like a tank with a small bit more optical quality (I could go more in depth, but this too depends on preferences.) Both good binos, but people will probably gravitate to one or the other and neither is a bad choice.

The poster above said to not go with a 8x if it's your only binocular. I would respectfully disagree as this too depends highly on preferences and hunting terrain.

I would recommend trying as many as possible to get a feel for what you like. Preferably in the field and not in the store.

J
J
I would like to also chime in on behalf of the Tract Toric's. I currently own both the 8x42 and 10x42's. I bought the Leica Trinovid 10x42's and have looked through the 8x42's, comparing them to other binoculars I own. After comparing the 10 power units side by side my conclusion was that the Toric's offered a more contrasty and color neutral view. Apparent sharpness appeared a touch better in the Tracts for me as well.

The Leicas were good glass, and had some nice points (fabulous build quality, and great ease of view), but both me and my dad found the Toric's to provide a more detailed view. Chromatic aberration was significantly lower in the Tracts, and we found looking into shadows provided more detail and better color rendition with the Tracts. In addition, the focus wheel was smoother than the Trinovid's.

I bought the Trinovids on closeout for $900, but was happy to sell them at a loss on eBay after comparing them side by side. Btw-although I love the 10x torics, I found the 8x units were a bit less finicky on eye placement, and offered the slightly brighter, and easier view. However, when I want a 10x binocular, the Toric's are my #1 choice.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Does anybody have any experience with the Toric vs the Conquest HD? Does the Tract have similar issues with the finicky eye position and blackouts? I really liked allot about the Conquest but those problems were pretty bad for me.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just received an email that all in-stock Tract optics are 10% off for Memorial day. Might be incentive to try the Toric.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by lantx005
Does anybody have any experience with the Toric vs the Conquest HD? Does the Tract have similar issues with the finicky eye position and blackouts? I really liked allot about the Conquest but those problems were pretty bad for me.

Lantx, a couple years ago I ordered a pair of Conquest HD's and instantly found them to be hard to look through. Same deal as you, finicky eye position so of course I sent them back.

I have the Toric 10x42 HD's and they are not touchy at all, easy view. Much better than the Conquest.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Thank you sir, I bought the pre HD Trinovids after the disappointment with the Conquests. I've been wanting to try the Torics but have been reluctant because of the constant comparisons to the Conquests. Sounds like this may be a good weekend too the plunge. If they can get close to the Trinovids and Meostar Hds performance at half the cost, Tract will have earned another customer.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If they can get close to the Trinovids and Meostar Hds performance at half the cost, Tract will have earned another customer.

They're in the hood - I think you'll be impressed.

WWP53D
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
This does it for me ... I'm ordering a pair! Do I get the 10x42 like I originally planned or go with the 8x42??? Seems like a few are favoring the 8x42.

10% off and free shipping is great on an already decently priced bino!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Go with the original idea!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This does it for me ... I'm ordering a pair! Do I get the 10x42 like I originally planned or go with the 8x42??? Seems like a few are favoring the 8x42.

If most of your hunting is in fairly open area & at fairly long range & you are evaluating heads, get the 10's. Not a replacement for a spotting scope, but does the initial work better than an 8x.

If that's not the case, you can do with the 8's.

For the 1st case, I wouldn't even consider 8's but that just my preference; everyone is different & I am fortunate enough to have both 10's & 8's so I have flexibility.

MM

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I just placed my order. Went with the 10x Torics. Can't wait to have good glass this fall! These should be night & day improvement over my Pentax binos I've been using for the past 15 or 20yrs. I was way overdue! Lol

Thanks a lot fellas! Your input has helped me to make an informed decision or purchase. Plus, the 4 day sale sealed the deal for me. I'll let you all know what I think when I get them in my hands.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I have the Toric 8x42. I've said this before, they're one easy binocular to get behind. The sweet spot is huge. They're one of most optically comfortable/generous/forgiving binoculars I've ever looked through. Mine have been out on loan to a client who's doing a huge project with Audubon. These threads have me missing them.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
RickyBobby,

Thanks for the oppurtunity to earn your support! My apologies I wasn't able to respond sooner.

Also, thank you everyone that chimed in with the good words on TRACT!

I'll be out of country until the first, but please don't hesitate to call in or use the chat if you have a question.

Thanks again!

Trevor
Tract Optics
www.TractOptics.com

Use discount code: 24HOUR5 for 5% off your order!
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I have new Trindvid Hd's and they seem the same to me. I LOVE them!

How do you know a Trump hater? They'll tell you.
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by TRACT_Optics
RickyBobby,

Thanks for the oppurtunity to earn your support! My apologies I wasn't able to respond sooner.

Also, thank you everyone that chimed in with the good words on TRACT!

I'll be out of country until the first, but please don't hesitate to call in or use the chat if you have a question.

Thanks again!

No problem ... just don't let me down! Lol

Excited to try them!

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Torics are supposed to be here tomorrow. Can't wait! Lots of deer currently using my clover field behind the house and down at my lake in the evenings. Excited to start glassing the bucks in velvet around here and also watching the fawns! Perfect timing for the new Torics.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Well RickyBobby.....????? Interested in what you think about them.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Well RickyBobby.....????? Interested in what you think about them.

Well, I currently have a hectic schedule due to my mom being in hospital at the moment but I did make time to unpack them when I got in from work and take a quick look off the back porch across one of my fields and did a quick adjustment and focus. I was pretty impressed ... They felt excellent in the hand! Then it was off to the hospital for the evening. It may be a couple weeks before I get chance to work them hard and will report back. For now my mom needs me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Take care of mom. Best to you and to her.

WWP53D
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by SKane
Take care of mom. Best to you and to her.

Absolutely.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I think it would be hard to make a truly bad choice from the bins he presented, but I'm anxious to hear from another Toric user to see what he thinks of them!

I also go with the 10x42, but I'm a western hunter and typically have a lot of open ground to cover. On the other hand, I usually bring along a Leupold Yosemite 6x30 if I'm spending a day hiking through timber - they're also great for a loaner or backup.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Well, I thought I'd post some pics of my Tract Toric 10x42s for any folks considering them. I am really surprised by the size of these binos compared to my old Pentax 20x50s I've been using for the past 15 or 20yrs. I was definitely due for new binos and this is one of those purchases when I'm already asking myself why the heck I waited so long to get some decent binos. Lol! These Torics feel so great in my hands I can't even begin to describe it! I've had some chance to view wildlife from the house already. Yesterday evening I watched 3 turkey down by my lake for a good half hour or so and this morning I got to watch a buck in velvet feed across my Clover field by the house here. Very clear pic with sharp edges and great color contrast. Plus, most my viewing so far has been from inside the house looking through my windows ... can't imagine results I'll get once I get outside with them! I love the way the eye cups adjust in and out also! My old Pentax had the rollback rubber eye cups and these Toric have 3 spots that just twist and lock into place ... way better than what I'm familiar with. The Torics came with a super nice and well made neck strap that looks comfy too but I chose to order Tracts binos harness and give it a try. I've never used a bino harness before and thought it'd be nice to give one a try ... especially for my hunting purposes. Anyway, I'm posting pics of some side X side comparison with my old Pentax so you can all get an idea of the Torics size. Also, a pic of my hand for size comparison.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Man, I can't wait to get out in the field with these things and test them for brightness in the last minutes of daylight for clarity when hunting!

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

..... I'll try my best to keep you all updated the more I get to use them in the field

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (10gaugemag, Akhutr, Anaconda, BallisticBRYAN, 13 invisible), 1,571 guests, and 832 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,207
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.