Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I agree with Dirtfarmer. Jeweling sure wouldn't keep me away from a shooter gun! Not one bit. Nor would a pad, especially if the LOP was not overly shortened in the process. Pretty as those original "bird's beak" steel butt plates are, they are hard on the shoulder, especially on a hard kicking gun. In addition, they make it tough to lean the gun into a corner without fear of slipping. Having said that, I won't cut an unmolested stock.

As for stock refinish, re-blue, extra holes . . . those should get the price down even more. The refinishing is due to wear or damage, and holes are holes. But for a shooter, it comes down to what it really should be, which is how good a rifle is it? How well does it feed, eject, and is it accurate?

I read somewhere, I think from Terry Wieland, that one of the secondary, practical purposes of "fine grained, intricate" engraving was to hold a film of oil on the surface to prevent rust, etc. One wonders if there is some of that thinking going on with jeweling?

Last edited by GunDoc7; 05/18/17.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
BP-B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Gundoc,

I've read that jeweling does give more surface for oil/lube on the bolt for smoother functioning.

Makes sense.

DF

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Congrats! Nice pickup, Chance. $600 + a K6? Yeah, man.

I wouldn't be bummed about the jeweling. If it's a shooter, then so what. If the action works smoothly, and feeds and ejects properly, who cares.

And I wouldn't be too worried about the pad, either. Many of that era are going to be found with pads. If the LOP is around 13.5", I wouldn't let that deter me.

Hope it shoots great for you!

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by Zengela
Nice gun. Bummer about the jeweling.

Maybe not that critical.

It's a shooter, not a collector. To me jeweling isn't that big a negative for such a gun.

IMO.

DF

I agree with DF. I actually like jeweling on bolt bodies. When on the extractor, it looks a little tacky though. However, for a hunting rifle, it's nice because it helps to smooth up the action. I had the bolt body jeweled on my semi custom 338wm, for function and looks.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Nice rifle and a steal for a Fwt. You can't beat a Fwt 30-06 to hunt with.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Maybe not that critical.

It's a shooter, not a collector. To me jeweling isn't that big a negative for such a gun.

IMO.

DF

I agree with DF. I actually like jeweling on bolt bodies. When on the extractor, it looks a little tacky though. However, for a hunting rifle, it's nice because it helps to smooth up the action. I had the bolt body jeweled on my semi custom 338wm, for function and looks.

You could always remove the jeweling from the extractor with 400 grit wet or dry sanding paper.

DF

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Now, if that were my rifle, I would do the following:

Add a front sight hood for looks. A reproduction would be fine.
Fit a RED Pacmayer decelerator pad. Close to a proper Winchester color, no white lines please!
Good quality low mounts, and a good scope (I'm not into vintage scopes on vintage guns, but that's just me.) IMO, a great choice for a Pre '64 is Leupold 3-9 Compact. The smaller diameter ocular (eyepiece) compared to the full size scopes allows the lowest possible mounting without the bolt handle hitting the ocular. (I'm all about low mounted scopes. Again, just me.)
I would consider QD sling swivel bases. The trouble is there is no easy way to do this. I believe the original wood screw pitch is 12 threads per inch (tpi), and the front correctly shaped Winchester nut is 10-36 machine screw. Nowadays, you tend to find 11tpi on the wood screw and 10-32 on the front, with no properly shaped nut available. Williams used to make 12 tpi wood screw QD studs, but no more as far as I can tell. I have never found a 10-36 front QD stud. One reasonably easy way is to modify the original swivels to make QD studs. This is not difficult. It goes against my aversion to altering original parts, but at least old Pre '64 sling swivels are common, and not too expensive (Super Grades and NOT, and are expensive!)

Anyway, those are the things I would do to make that rifle "my own."

Last edited by GunDoc7; 05/18/17.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Maybe not that critical.

IMO.

DF

You could always remove the jeweling from the extractor with 400 grit wet or dry sanding paper.

DF

Yep, very easy to do. I've done it before... Not on a pre 64, but a m1917 that I had..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I said 400 grit because it would look about right, not buffed shiny.

I'd cut it wet, seems to work better.

DF

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z

Maybe not that critical.

IMO.

DF

Easy there all you critters. Just said bummer about the jeweling. I would not pass on this rifle either. "Bummer about the" flip flops she's wearing instead of high heels.

IC B3

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by southtexas
Savage: you need to have your eyes checked.
Yup.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
C
ChanceD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Once I get the scope mounted I'll load some ammo up and start another range report thread. Thanks again for all the Interest, I'm very excited to see how it performs at the range.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by ChanceD
Once I get the scope mounted I'll load some ammo up and start another range report thread. Thanks again for all the Interest, I'm very excited to see how it performs at the range.

I haven't had a disappointing P64 at the range yet.

Semper Fi
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by beretzs

Yep. Most of them shoot remarkably well - If the bore is good, I am sure this rifle won't disappoint.

Going all the way back to the Model 54 (which has nearly the same action and barrel design as the model 70) these are fine shooting rifles and are generally are more accurate than the rifles which followed from 1964 through 2008.

The rifle will be shot and hunted with. Im definitely going to switch the mounts to a vintage one piece redfield and some lower rings. I may put the K6 to use also. As soon as I get the scope mounted in some proper mounts, im going to put some loads together and see how it shoots. Very excited, and yes, I know it's not 100%, but I'm ok with that. The way it is, I'll definitely use the rifle.

Don't let anyone give you a hard time about the jeweling or the pad. As a shooter, I think it's perfect. Some will argue a jeweled bolt will have less wear over a lifetime of use than a polished bolt. I'm not sure I've seen evidence of this being true, but this was the original thinking behind the machine turned finish on action parts.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Your picture of your "pre 64" shows NO extractor on the side of the bolt body!!Explain.

Sweet Jesus. crazy

The stock is missing as well!! Explain!

Ur crazy. Its got an old wood Remmy 700 stock. I'll take it fer 4 hunnert big ones.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Very nice, congrats and enjoy a great rifle...........

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Same here. They were built right to begin with, so they shoot right for years to come... Excellent rifles that can be passed down from generation to generation too...

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by pre64win

Yep. Most of them shoot remarkably well - If the bore is good, I am sure this rifle won't disappoint.

Going all the way back to the Model 54 (which has nearly the same action and barrel design as the model 70) these are fine shooting rifles and are generally are more accurate than the rifles which followed from 1964 through 2008.

The rifle will be shot and hunted with. Im definitely going to switch the mounts to a vintage one piece redfield and some lower rings. I may put the K6 to use also. As soon as I get the scope mounted in some proper mounts, im going to put some loads together and see how it shoots. Very excited, and yes, I know it's not 100%, but I'm ok with that. The way it is, I'll definitely use the rifle.

Don't let anyone give you a hard time about the jeweling or the pad. As a shooter, I think it's perfect. Some will argue a jeweled bolt will have less wear over a lifetime of use than a polished bolt. I'm not sure I've seen evidence of this being true, but this was the original thinking behind the machine turned finish on action parts.

I like a jeweled bolt on a custom rifle myself... My 338wm again:

[Linked Image]

I've even had it done to non custom rifles, like this old tang safety Ruger 77:
[Linked Image]

I'm like gundoc, and wouldn't do it to a collector rifle, but a shooter/hunter hell yes...

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Same here. They were built right to begin with, so they shoot right for years to come... Excellent rifles that can be passed down from generation to generation too...

For sure, if I had to start over there would be more P64's in my safe.. Usually a good synthetic stocks dresses them up just right to me!

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I found a similar rifle sitting in a rack of beat to death Alaskan village pre-64 M-70's for $650 while all the others were priced over $1000. I asked the owner why it was cheaper and was told that "the new Wincheters aren't as valuable". So I bought the newer one !

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
686 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 75 invisible), 3,102 guests, and 1,439 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,679
Posts18,399,581
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.