-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Anything good y'all have been doing in practice lately?

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Simple reminder to use both hands. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPRlsXZ_Spw

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 357Carbine

That's essentially my typical drill at the range. I'm less formal with the reload part (I just pick up each loaded mag off the table), but amazingly close otherwise.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
A favorite with my students is a 1X2 stick of lumber ponded in to the ground seven yards out. Make it about six feet tall. One for every shooter. On command they all draw and shoot. The first to cut their stick in half wins. The losers give the winner $5. After that, resume shooting the next winner gets $1 from the losers. Then the losers clean up the mess. By then I turn over the range and they vary the game usually until they run out of ammo.

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 357Carbine

I like that and will give it a whirl.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
A post criticizing how somebody else carries a gun goes two pages, a post about actually shooting guns gets two drills.

That's telling.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Welcome to the internets!

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
To be truthful, me being a semi poor pistol shot and trying to shoot with a timer made me an even a poorer shot.

I really don't know if it was the sights I switched to or just poor technique but I had to do something rash.

I fit an Apex barrel to my already Apex triggered and kitted M&P9 which helped a bunch, then I switched to Dawson fiber optic sights last weekend.

My drill now consists of slow fire dot torture but I found a few more steel plates and am going to start trying to shoot them at 50 yards. The pistol seems accurate enough to do it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Five x Five x Five.

This one is quick, easy to shoot & relative to SD situations.

Target is a 5" circle with a center dot aiming point ; 2" is a good size for the center dot.

Five shots, five inches, five yards, five seconds.

Starting from a low ready or a holstered position, at the beep fire five rounds at the circle within 5 seconds.

The goal is to land all five shots in the circle within five seconds.

To test consistency, repeat the drill five times. A “pass” is 25 shots with no misses.

MM

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I will have to try this MM... Most of my handgun shooting is at small targets like gophers, pop bottles filled with water, etc.. Yesterday I did try some self defense style shooting at 7 yards.. Surprised the heck out of myself.. Of course I had no timer and did not try a quick draw.. Those are skills I would need to develop for sure..

Molon Labe
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

This was my latest live fire practice.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Five x Five x Five.

Target is a 5" circle with a center dot aiming point ; 2" is a good size for the center dot.

Starting from a low ready or a holstered position, at the beep fire five rounds at the circle within 5 seconds.

To test consistency, repeat the drill five times. A “pass” is 25 shots with no misses.

MM

I like it...a balanced test of both speed and accuracy.
Bob

Last edited by RGK; 05/19/17.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
I will have to try this MM... Most of my handgun shooting is at small targets like gophers, pop bottles filled with water, etc.. Yesterday I did try some self defense style shooting at 7 yards.. Surprised the heck out of myself.. Of course I had no timer and did not try a quick draw.. Those are skills I would need to develop for sure..

I don't remember if we've had this conversation before or not----where in Carbon County are you? I'm in Albany County between Laramie and Centennial. I've built a range and you'd be welcome to come "work out" with me as soon as the weather clears up. FWIW, I've arranged to have one of the Gunsite instructors, Il LIng New come and run an intro to hand gunning and couples tactics class at my range this September----then next July (18) I have Dave Spaulding coming to conduct an advanced handgun combatives class----you'd be welcome.

Last edited by gmoats; 05/19/17.

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Five x Five x Five.

MM

One better(ha ha) - triple six drill - adds a reload too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8YRxqgmmN0

Yes, I like this Langdon guys stuff. He can really run a DA/SA pistol.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
g, thanks, that is very kind of you.. I live in Saratoga, but we do travel a lot.. As far as self defense, I am at the very bottom of the learning tree.. The only thing I have done in my life has been shoot a lot of ammo away.. I will see if I can get over the hill when the pass is open!!!!!

Molon Labe
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
g, thanks, that is very kind of you.. I live in Saratoga, but we do travel a lot.. As far as self defense, I am at the very bottom of the learning tree.. The only thing I have done in my life has been shoot a lot of ammo away.. I will see if I can get over the hill when the pass is open!!!!!

I don't know if you're a sporting clays shooter or not, however, Jon Kruger spends the summer at Brush Creek giving shotgun instructions. Kruger is to sporting clays what Rob Leatham is to USPSA. I usually go over there a couple times a month to shoot with him to get ready for the Colorado and Wyoming state NSCA shoots…..perhaps we can meet for dinner or something. It's 45 minutes from my place to Brush Creek so 60 minutes +/- to Saratoga. After the last two days, they may delay opening the pass!!

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
with all my health issues lately, I have had very little range time. Need to fix that, and doing so is high on my 'to do' list when I get back to being able to drive.

Sam......

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (007FJ, 160user, 2500HD, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 240NMC, 61 invisible), 2,322 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,652
Posts18,455,518
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.