Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I've been eye-balling one in a local Pawn shop for a couple months now. They are asking $450 but told me today that they would sell it for $325 out the door. I "think" that is a decent price for that gun but the on-line sites are all over the place for those guns. It's in fair shape, this gun has obviously been used but other wise take care of...no rust or serious dings in the metal or wood. It is missing the rear sight and the front sight blade.

It's not a gun I would use much but the combination of gun and caliber is drawing me to it.

Is this one I shouldn't pass up at $325?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Grab it!

They were a bit heavy for a light round like the Bob, but they shoot great...and it's a 257 ROBERTS!

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MikeByrge
Is this one I shouldn't pass up at $325?

Buy it! .......... It will soon become your favorite rifle. My 257 will be the last one I sell.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
An excellent buy for $325! You'll never lose $$ if you can buy it for that price and decide that you don't care for it.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
One thing I'd check before buying is the extractor. If the extractor breaks it's sometimes difficult to find a replacement, and you either have to have a different type of extractor fitted, or replace the entire bolt with Remington 700 short-action bolt. Both work but add considerably to the price.

A 722 .257 with a price tag around $300 sat in a local store several months last year, because the extractor was broken. Somebody finally bought it, apparently deciding they could get around the problem somehow.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
One thing I'd check before buying is the extractor. If the extractor breaks it's sometimes difficult to find a replacement, and you either have to have a different type of extractor fitted, or replace the entire bolt with Remington 700 short-action bolt. Both work but add considerably to the price.

A 722 .257 with a price tag around $300 sat in a local store several months last year, because the extractor was broken. Somebody finally bought it, apparently deciding they could get around the problem somehow.

John,

I'm curious as to the cost to change to a Sako type extractor? I pondered that before I sold my 722 257 Roberts.

Are they as dangerous as Butch Lambert maintains?

Last edited by luv2safari; 05/20/17.

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I bought it.

Thanks for the tip on the extractor.... checked it with a magnifying glass and it is good. They threw in a full box of Remington ammo and an old Lyman All American 4x that looks like it's never been on a gun.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Sounds like you stole it. grin I have a 722 in 257 Bob. It is my go to gun for down here. It is very accurate. Congrats on what sounds like a heck of a deal.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Bruce,

I dunno if they're dangerous or not. Have fired a lot of Sakos with "Sako" extractors over the decades, as well as other rifles with similar designs, without a problem.

I've never had the job done, partly because I've never had a 700/722 extractor break in at least 100,000 rounds fired. But have heard prices start at around $125.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
MikeByrge,

Good deal, especially with the classic scope!

One thing I'd do now is use a spray degunker, something that dries quickly, to blow out the inside of the bolt face all around the extractor. One reason they can break is bits of brass getting caught underneath the extractor. It's something I do now and then with my own .257 722, as well as my 700's.

John Steinbeck
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I bought it. Thanks for the tip on the extractor.... checked it with a magnifying glass and it is good. They threw in a full box of Remington ammo and an old Lyman All American 4x that looks like it's never been on a gun.

Perfect set-up just find some vintage bases & rings.

We deal in lead, friend.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by 41rem
I bought it. Thanks for the tip on the extractor.... checked it with a magnifying glass and it is good. They threw in a full box of Remington ammo and an old Lyman All American 4x that looks like it's never been on a gun.

Perfect set-up just find some vintage bases & rings.

+1

Vintage Buehler base and split low rings would be about perfect.

Great snag.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[b][/b]
I bought it.

Thanks for the tip on the extractor.... checked it with a magnifying glass and it is good. They threw in a full box of Remington ammo and an old Lyman All American 4x that looks like it's never been on a gun.

Tell me the truth. You used a mask and a gun, didn't you? smirk

GREAT SNAG!

Rates a two-cool... cool cool

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
MikeByrge: Good for you!
I have owned a lot of Remington 722's and 721's - they are good, reliable, safe and usually rather accurate Rifles.
It'll be fun finding and re-attaching those sights if you plan on that.
My close friend out in western Washington bought each of his three sons a Remington 722 Rifle in caliber 257 Roberts when they were around 12 - 13 years old and taught them gun safety then marksmanship and then took all of them Hunting with these Rifles. His sons are about 40 to 45 years old now and they all still have their Rifles.
Each of those sons has killed a Washington State Mt. Goat with their 257's and each was reported to me to have been a "one shot kill"!
The 257 Roberts with good bullets and good shot placement is a superb Deer and Antelope cartridge.
A number of years ago (eight?) I sold a Remington Model 722 in 257 Roberts.
I was selling it at a gunshow here in Dillon, Montana for a friend of mine and he wanted me to ask $500.00 for it.
It was in EXCELLENT and all original condition.
I was hoping that Rifle would not sell and once the gunshow was over I would offer him $400.00 for it and have a minty and nifty little 722 for my collection.
Well that didn't work out, as an elderly fellow from Idaho saw it and bought it for full asking price!
So much for my plan!
I hope you enjoy your 722 as much as I have enjoyed mine.
Let us know how it shoots.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Bruce,

I dunno if they're dangerous or not. Have fired a lot of Sakos with "Sako" extractors over the decades, as well as other rifles with similar designs, without a problem.

I've never had the job done, partly because I've never had a 700/722 extractor break in at least 100,000 rounds fired. But have heard prices start at around $125.

MD,

That's about what I paid 3 years ago to have a Sako extractor put in a 300sav just before deer season. The old extractor wasn't "broken" just worn to where it wasn't doing its job.

Mike,

I would have paid that for it in a heartbeat, and then taken the heat when I got home 😀

Hell...Reloading/Shooting are still my favorite things to do,besides play in the box the kids came in.................
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Mine is one of my faves. So easy to shoot and load for.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm glad you bought it Mike. I passed up a Remington Mountain Rifle in .257 Roberts almost 20 years ago and have never seen another once since. Considering the price it had on it I don't know why I ummed and ahhed so long. So sometimes you just gotta jump in with both feet and grab it. Congratulations.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Elvis
I passed up a Remington Mountain Rifle in .257 Roberts almost 20 years ago and have never seen another once since.

I searched for one of those yrs ago & finally found one owned by an older fellow in Ontario. I pestered him for over a year to sell but to no avail. Ended up having one built.

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Good score. I've always had a soft spot for 721/722s.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
That was cheap.....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 54 invisible), 2,557 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,360
Posts18,468,953
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.