Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Comparing the 2. Any pros, cons, suggestions? Looks like I can get them both illuminated for within $100 of each other due to the Leica being a discontinued model. Thanks

Randall

BP-B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The Meopta R1 is a terrific scope, but Leica ERi has superior resolution and a better illumination system. It's one of the very best bargains out there right now and truly ranks as alpha glass. Mine was a 3-12x50/4-a, and it even outperformed the SB Zenith 2.5-10x56 in terms of low-light performance and was virtually on par with the Kahles CSX 3-12x56 in moonlight.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a meostar r1 3-12x56 and it is the brightest scope I've owned. I've never compared to Leica so I can't say about it by it beats the Swarovski z5, zeiss hd5, kahles, nightforce that I've owned.
It's alittle big and heavy but it's bright!!!

"If you got it, you got it!" In memory of Pops, gone but never forgotten
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by NMSSHOOTER
I have a meostar r1 3-12x56 and it is the brightest scope I've owned. I've never compared to Leica so I can't say about it by it beats the Swarovski z5, zeiss hd5, kahles, nightforce that I've owned.
It's alittle big and heavy but it's bright!!!

I currently own a Meopta R1 3-12x56 but mine is a Plex reticle in the first focal plane and not illuminated. As far as for brightness and clarity i really like it but i would not have bought it if i would have realized it was a first focal plane. I didnt realize that it was a first focal plane scope until i took it to the range for the first time. I've had it a few years now and would like replace it with an #4 illuminated reticle in the second focal plane.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I do not have a R1 Meopta but do have R2's in 1.7-10x42 and 1-6x24, I think their glass is great. I do wish the illumination intensity would go lower for very low light.
I just purchased a couple of Leica ERi 2.5-10x42 with 4a reticles, and have been non-scientifically comparing it to a Swarovski Z6 1.7-10x42 Plex non-illuminated.

Thus far, optically I see little if any difference. I like the Leica well enough that I just ordered two more. I am waiting for darkness now to see how I like the illumination control, as to its low intensity. It is not a bright light day illumination system, which I personally have little to no use for.

I made the first purchases in a large part due to BobbyTomek's commentary on a forum. Bobby definitely has experience shooting at low light / night, with many high end scopes. I have a few Zeiss, Kahles 30mm scopes and optically this Leica and the Swarovski are in the same class, to my eyes.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by BobbyTomek
The Meopta R1 is a terrific scope, but Leica ERi has superior resolution and a better illumination system. It's one of the very best bargains out there right now and truly ranks as alpha glass. Mine was a 3-12x50/4-a, and it even outperformed the SB Zenith 2.5-10x56 in terms of low-light performance and was virtually on par with the Kahles CSX 3-12x56 in moonlight.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by ShortMag11
Comparing the 2. Any pros, cons, suggestions? Looks like I can get them both illuminated for within $100 of each other due to the Leica being a discontinued model. Thanks

Randall

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I had a R1 3-12x56 which is a tremendous lowlight scope..It was second plane with a 4k reticle. My brother owns it now and is very impressed with it.

Meopta is going to have great customer service and I will leave it at that. I believe the ERi has to be sent back to Europe for repair, the ER5 is made in the states probably by Meopta. grin

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm sorry, but when Khales (Swarovski owned and it's "economy" line) is touted on a par with S&B, credibility takes a big hit with me.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
I had a R1 3-12x56 which is a tremendous lowlight scope..It was second plane with a 4k reticle. My brother owns it now and is very impressed with it.

Meopta is going to have great customer service and I will leave it at that. I believe the ERi has to be sent back to Europe for repair, the ER5 is made in the states probably by Meopta. grin

OEK, I currently have a R1 3-12X56 in the 1st focal plane. I really like the scope besides being a 1st focal plane optic. I have a few small scratches on the objective lens apparently I was hunting and there was dirt, dust, debris and I wiped it with my sleeve and apparently left some marks on the lens. The marks cannot be felt with your fingernail nor be seen when looking through the scope. I called Meopta customer service because I wanted to get this issue repaired as I was planning to sell the scope (to replace with a 2nd focal plane R1 or ERI) and figured this would bring down the value significantly. The guy there told me the scope would have to be sent back to Europe and didn't seem like he suggested that or interested in helping me do that. Once I pushed the issue he then told me he has seen it take 6-8 months for people to get scopes back that have been sent to Europe for repairs. His suggestion to me was attempt to clean the lens first with windex (which I did with no resolve) and second to put Acetone on the lens. I am not sure I want to chance putting Acetone on my $1000 scope.

Any suggestions??

Randall

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

OEK, I currently have a R1 3-12X56 in the 1st focal plane. I really like the scope besides being a 1st focal plane optic. I have a few small scratches on the objective lens apparently I was hunting and there was dirt, dust, debris and I wiped it with my sleeve and apparently left some marks on the lens. The marks cannot be felt with your fingernail nor be seen when looking through the scope. I called Meopta customer service because I wanted to get this issue repaired as I was planning to sell the scope (to replace with a 2nd focal plane R1 or ERI) and figured this would bring down the value significantly. The guy there told me the scope would have to be sent back to Europe and didn't seem like he suggested that or interested in helping me do that. Once I pushed the issue he then told me he has seen it take 6-8 months for people to get scopes back that have been sent to Europe for repairs. His suggestion to me was attempt to clean the lens first with windex (which I did with no resolve) and second to put Acetone on the lens. I am not sure I want to chance putting Acetone on my $1000 scope.

Any suggestions??

Randall

Who did you talk to in CS? Where did you buy the scope? Are the Coatings scratched or is the glass just really dirty?

Acetone will not harm the lense, if it is scratched it will not fix the issue.

They 30mm stuff gets sent back to Czech republic for repair, they usually replace the scope so the customer doesn't have to wait that long. I will give you an example of their service. I purchased a 7x56 scope from Fleabay a few years back. The dishonest seller never told me that it had a cracked turret. I sent it into Meopta and they told me they stopped making that scope. I was offered pretty much any of their 30mm scopes and or 1" scopes .

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S

Any suggestions??

Randall

Who did you talk to in CS? Where did you buy the scope? Are the Coatings scratched or is the glass just really dirty?

Acetone will not harm the lense, if it is scratched it will not fix the issue.

They 30mm stuff gets sent back to Czech republic for repair, they usually replace the scope so the customer doesn't have to wait that long. I will give you an example of their service. I purchased a 7x56 scope from Fleabay a few years back. The dishonest seller never told me that it had a cracked turret. I sent it into Meopta and they told me they stopped making that scope. I was offered pretty much any of their 30mm scopes and or 1" scopes .

I do not remember the guys name. It was a young guy I remember that because I remember thinking to myself that I was talking to a typical millennial that just didn't want to be bothered with doing his job.

I bought the scope from a local gun shop here in New Orleans called Puglias. They mounted the scope on my rifle and I left without the box. When I realized a week or so later that I did not get the box I returned and asked for the box and they told me it had been thrown away as they always do with the empty boxes when I customer doesn't ask to keep it.

I assume its is very thin fine scratches. I've tried to clean it with a cloth and then with windex and a rag and its still there. I would love to be able to have it repaired or replaced but i'm not willing to be without the scope on my favorite rifle for 6-8 months. I never pursued the issue any farther because you can't see the scratches when looking thru the scope, it just bothers me knowing they're there. Once I get the ERI or R1 illuminated 2nd focal plane I plan to replace it with I will most likely send it off then and sell it once its repaired unless for some reason they decide to replace it with "my scope of choice".

Randall

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by jorgeI
I'm sorry, but when Khales (Swarovski owned and it's "economy" line) is touted on a par with S&B, credibility takes a big hit with me.

Jorge-Kahles is neither owned nor produced by Swarovski and thus cannot be called it's "economy" line. The Kahles CSX 3-12x56 is no longer imported but is one of the best low-light scopes you'll find . The Leica ERi 3-12x50 hangs right along with it and -- despite being compared against a scope with a larger objective -- does not give up anything until the moonlight is quite diffused, and then the edge is absolutely minimal and likely would not be noticed by anyone unless they spend hours upon hours behind the scopes, something I have done.

As to you making a blanket statement and saying the Kahles is not on par with S&B: in a round-about way, you are right because the Kahles CSX is superior to both of the 2016 SB 2.5-10x56 Zeniths(and earlier 8x56 Klassik) I had and resulted in those being sold. And the illumination system adjusts more dimly in the Kahles and has a smaller dot than did the the SB. The newer SB Polar is another story altogether, though, and is the cream of the crop in low-light performers.

I consider the Leica ERi 3-12x50/4-a the 4th best pure low-light hunting scope behind only the aforementioned 3-12x56 CSX in third, the Zeiss Victory HT 3-12x56/#60 in second place and the SB Polar 3-12x54/D7 in the top spot. While they are very nice, Swaro does not make my top 5. In 6th place is the post-2000 production Swarovski PV 2.5-10x56 #4. (Coating upgrades around 2000 made these slightly preferable to earlier PV/PH models as they feature better contrast and transmission).

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks for the info, Bobby. Always ready to stand corrected. I'll have to look at those Leicas.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Jorge-

If you can find one of the 3-12x50 ERi scopes, you'll love it. No scope I tried has ever tested higher in terms of daylight resolution than this model. Leica definitely did their homework with this one, but -- unfortunately -- it is no longer being imported. The illumination system is top-notch as well.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Jorge-

If you can find one of the 3-12x50 ERi scopes, you'll love it. No scope I tried has ever tested higher in terms of daylight resolution than this model. Leica definitely did their homework with this one, but -- unfortunately -- it is no longer being imported. The illumination system is top-notch as well.

Scopelist has some.

I bought one of the 2.5-10X42 ERi's and wasn't all that impressed with it. If low light was my only concern then it was very good. I may have got a bad one but it was blurry at the edges,so much you couldn't read a car tag from 30 yards at 2.5 if using just the edge of view. It was clean except right at the edge. I bought the 4a and thought the dot was too big for any long range precision. It also had some tunneling ,but may have been because of my eye sight. I had to adjust the diopter in a fair amount to get a clear reticle. At that adjustment I could see a good bit of the inside of the tube giving the tunneling effect. If I could have focused the reticle with the diopter screwed out the tunneling would have been gone.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
In optics, it's all about compromise, and to get the high transmission rates for low-light performance, something else will have to be sacrificed. While I am not that concerned about the edges, I would indeed prefer a sight picture equally sharp across the entire image area. But the Leica ERi 3-12x50 I had was sharper/resolved better at the edges than the Zeiss HT, the SB Zeniths, Klassik & Polar and the Kahles CSX.

The Zeiss is the worst in this regard. But even the techs there will tell you they strive for the center sweet spot and give up "a bit" on the edges to gain in terms of overall low-light performance.

All of our needs are different, and no two sets of eyes are truly alike, so we tend to arrive at different results at times. But for me, the primary strength in a scope must be an ability to resolve fine detail in the poorest of lighting while having ample transmission to provide a decent sight picture -- not to mention having a reticle suited for such an application .In that regard, the Leica ERi 3-12x50 scores nicely and outperforms others with more "famous" names emblazoned on them. .

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
In optics, it's all about compromise, and to get the high transmission rates for low-light performance, something else will have to be sacrificed. While I am not that concerned about the edges, I would indeed prefer a sight picture equally sharp across the entire image area. But the Leica ERi 3-12x50 I had was sharper/resolved better at the edges than the Zeiss HT, the SB Zeniths, Klassik & Polar and the Kahles CSX.

The Zeiss is the worst in this regard. But even the techs there will tell you they strive for the center sweet spot and give up "a bit" on the edges to gain in terms of overall low-light performance.

All of our needs are different, and no two sets of eyes are truly alike, so we tend to arrive at different results at times. But for me, the primary strength in a scope must be an ability to resolve fine detail in the poorest of lighting while having ample transmission to provide a decent sight picture -- not to mention having a reticle suited for such an application .In that regard, the Leica ERi 3-12x50 scores nicely and outperforms others with more "famous" names emblazoned on them. .

I agree with you Bobby. If only talking low light performance ,even the 42mm 2.5-10 ERi was as good as anything including a couple Kahles that I've ever used. I've not used the larger 56mm Kahles especially designed for low light though.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Yeah Alabama finally having a official start and end time for shooting has reduced the demand for 56MM optics grin

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have been playing with the ERi 2.5-10x42 I agree that there is a definite sweet spot in the low power range.

I do not seem to notice this in the upper power ranges. All eyes are certainly different and mine have known deficiencies. And we all have expectations to meet our requirements. I have used 1st focal plane scopes for many years. Within the past few years I have purchased some illuminated ones in 1st Focal and then 2nd. I still have not found "my perfect rifle or scope."

I have been comparing the Leica with a non-illuminated Swarovski 1.7-10x42mm. I can see where the illumination would offer me some benefits in some situations. For my intents which are not long range, I like the sizeable dot (1 MOA, I think). I like the illumination's low intensity, but would like it better if there was an off position between settings.

The Swarovski 1.7-10x42 is one of my favorites, if not most favored for 2nd focal non-illuminated. With the Plex reticle it could cover most all my needs rather nicely. But, I am not a long range shooter nor true night hunter. Today's optics are pretty amazing, many great choices.

Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Jorge-

Scopelist has some.

I bought one of the 2.5-10X42 ERi's and wasn't all that impressed with it. If low light was my only concern then it was very good. I may have got a bad one but it was blurry at the edges,so much you couldn't read a car tag from 30 yards at 2.5 if using just the edge of view. It was clean except right at the edge. I bought the 4a and thought the dot was too big for any long range precision. It also had some tunneling ,but may have been because of my eye sight. I had to adjust the diopter in a fair amount to get a clear reticle. At that adjustment I could see a good bit of the inside of the tube giving the tunneling effect. If I could have focused the reticle with the diopter screwed out the tunneling would have been gone.

Last edited by ldmay375; 05/21/17.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

I agree with you Bobby. If only talking low light performance ,even the 42mm 2.5-10 ERi was as good as anything including a couple Kahles that I've ever used. I've not used the larger 56mm Kahles especially designed for low light though.

How is the reticle in the ERi? I am getting ready to pull the trigger on either the vx6 2-12 x 42 or mayb the leica?

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Jimmy,I had the 2.5-10X42 ERi with the 4a reticle. The cross hair portion was very thin with a fairly large dot in the center. I would guess the dot was slightly more than 1 MOA. It was not a heavy black dot,but more of a grey color. The illumination is not day light bright but excels in low light. I thought the dot was too large for real precision long range shooting. It would be fine for hunting. You could leave the ill on and if you couldn't see the dot because of poor light then the dot would surly be visible with illumination.

I like the Leica would get low enough in low light not to mess with your night vision even in the darkest conditions. I did not like the tunneling I had with the diopter adjusted for my eyes. I did not like the excessively blurry edges on low power. It was a very nice scope for hunting in low light. It is possible that I expected more for the price. It just didn't wow me for the price compared to other lower priced optics.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
328 members (160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 34 invisible), 2,004 guests, and 922 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,953
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.