Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
My family and I will be in Alaska the end of July for ~a weeks vacation. What would be the ideal things to see and do with kids ages 7-11? Fishing would also be on the agenda.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What are your interests?

Anchorage:
On a clear day drive up to Glen Alps and hike flat-top. The view is amazing. If flat top is a bit too ambitious do the small knoll bluberry hill and enjoy the view.
Grab a pizza and brew at Mooses Tooth
Hit the museum
Visit Native Heritage Center

Drive down to Seward and take a fishing charter

Stop by Girdwood on the way down or way back from Seward:
visit the Crow Creek Mine,
hike the Winner Creek trail from the Alyeska Hotel,
Get dinner at the Double Musky

Drive up to Talkeetna on a clear day
Enjoy the view of Mt. McKinley
Take a Mahay's river tour (took one last year and enjoyed the heck out of it)

Should keep you busy for a week but I could easily think of more. For a week long trip I'd say Homer is too far to drive and the ocean fishing is just as good out of Seward.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
458 Lott nailed it, but I'll second the suggestions for Mooses Tooth as well as the drive to Seward.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would definitely suggest grabbing lunch (fish/chips/chowder) at one of the waterfront fish shacks.

A trip by rail (AKRR) from Anchorage to Whittier, a AMHS ferry ride over to Valdez or Cordova (and back, or drive down, ferry across, drive up and around on the Richardson if the kiddos are travelers). Valdez, Whittier, Seward; all have waterfront fish shacks which serve wiggling-fresh fish entrees.(The train ride along Cook Inlet is long enough without being too long, and its a beautiful stretch while the trip across Prince William Sound is more of another kind of beauty. (And you might be able to choose a fast ferry or standard depending on the date; there are steel boats with standard prop-propulsion, and an aluminum, jet-powered fast ferry....depends how much travel time you like.) Valdez is small; make lodging reservations ahead if you plan to stay, or just hope to 'luck out' as we've done a couple times. eek (Local vehicle rentals are available, not the usual bigger companies however.)

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you don't mind spending time on the road and want to see some country then driving to Valdez and ferrying to Whittier and driving back to Anchorage (or the opposite direction) would be a way to see much of the state from land and sea. But that's 2-3 days of the trip.

Taking the AK RR to Talkeetna is nice way to go, did that trip a few years back and it was nice as the one who is typically driving on family trips to be able to relax and enjoy the sights vs. watching the road.

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Fish for pink salmon in Valdez it's awesome .I.use to Camp at sea otter campground caught tons of fish !

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I thought the pinks didn't run in odd years.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by colorado bob

Pink runs are variable in different parts of the state (where pinks run). We get them thicker every other year, but they always show. In some rivers, it can be hard to fish the thick years since the pinks prevent hooking the more desirables.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I fish the Kenai----even years for pinks.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
The zoo is not huge, but it's very nice.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by colorado bob

The hatchery in Valdez releases 220 million pink salmon fry yearly. They have about 13 million adults returning yearly.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Whether it's Talkeetna or Whittier, the Ak railroad trip is fun. Well worth it.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
A road trip down Turnagain Arm is a nice ride.
https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=AwrBT9YLhiFZtU4A44JXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTByMjB0aG5zBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--?p=turnagin+arm&fr=yfp-t-s

You could stop in Girdwood and ride the tram at Hotel Alyeska.
http://www.alyeskaresort.com/resort/about-aerial-tram

And/or continue down to the wildlife rehab center
https://www.alaskawildlife.org/

Or maybe head up to Eagle River to the nature center, depending on what you and your family enjoy doing.
http://www.ernc.org/

"The day I went to work everybody showed up to watch Johnny Luster work. Well, they had a wheelbarrow there, and said I was to push that thing around all day. I looked at it, then turned around and headed for the mountians..."
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have no idea what your time schedule is but what I know now I would make driving the Denali hwy a priority...

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
All of the above great ideas.
My family and I have done most of those, at the recommendation of some of the same folks as answered here.
One I didn't see listed, is a flight-seeing tour around Mt McKinley and a glacier landing at the head of Ruth Glacier.
It was the highlight of our second trip.

http://www.flyk2.com/tours/denali-grand-tour/

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Spend the least amount of time possible in Anchorage.

Valdez is a great drive. Stop at Worthington Glaciar in the way. Last time through you could walk right up to it and a pretty nice waterfall for free.
Seward fishing and it's a nice drive.
Whittier is a weird little place that is scenic.
Up towards Denali Hwy is nice.

I would skip Fairbanks.

Flight tours would be great but you will pay $200-800 for them.

Weather will make or break your day. If you are the kind of person that likes to stop and look at scenery plan for a lot of stops. But the days are long so that helps.

All the guys want to be me, and all the bitches want to do me.
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks folks. A week isn't enough time so we will have to head back some time in the future. My kids like everything you mentioned so it should be a great trip.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The challenge is not trying to do too much in such a short time. I try to follow the rule that the time spent at a location doing an activity should be greater than the time spent behind the wheel. So make sure the temptation to see the state is tempered by spending enough time to experience the state.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
The challenge is not trying to do too much in such a short time. I try to follow the rule that the time spent at a location doing an activity should be greater than the time spent behind the wheel. So make sure the temptation to see the state is tempered by spending enough time to experience the state.

Word.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
seems like sage advice..... from sages. smile

I'm doing a similar trip about the same time, so capturing the wisdom here. thanks gents!!

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (01Foreman400, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 59 invisible), 2,330 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,661
Posts18,455,712
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.