Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
seems like sage advice..... from sages. smile

I'm doing a similar trip about the same time, so capturing the wisdom here. thanks gents!!

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hope you guys have a great time. It's a beautiful place with nice folks

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I leave. Alaska isn't far away.

Chocolate factory is worth a 15 minute visit. Alaska Zoo a bit longer. Seward Sea Life Center in Seward (Portage stuff on way)

A heck of a scenic drive for bonus. 37 years on the Kenai, and I still marvel at the views!

I could call this place home...... smile

Last edited by las; 05/21/17.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you go to the Mooses Tooth, prepare to wait in a very long line to be seated. If it were me, I'd avoid that place and hit up the Eagle River Alehouse, not near as busy as their pizzas are just as good as the MT IMO. Highly recommend taking the train to Seward, I've heard it's a fantastic trip with amazing scenery and is at the top of my list of trips that I haven't done yet. I'd also suggest driving the Denali Highway and spend the night at Alpine Creek Lodge, the owners, Claude and Jennifer are awesome hosts. And if you have the time, I'd take a trip to Fairbanks. I say this because IMO, it has that old Alaskan feel to it and is much different than being in Anchorage. Plus you might run into that jabroni 2L2Q (Randy), I hear he's been known to treat visiting folk like royalty.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A few years back my father's day gift was a train ride from Portage to Grandview (1/2 way to Seward) It was a great 1/2 day trip and a chance to see terrain you can't see from the Seward Hwy. Taking that trip in the morning and hitting the wildlife center and Girdwood for gold panning/hiking/tram ride and dinner would make for a good day.

Mooses Tooth is ridiculously crowded at lunchtime and more so from 5:30-8:00 and that's daily, not just weekends. But if you grab a late lunch or early dinner 2:00-4:00 you'll have little or no wait. Haven't tried ER Alehouse yet but my kids give it high marks.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mooses Tooth ....just phone in and take out your pizza.. Skip the mad house part.

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by atvalaska
Mooses Tooth ....just phone in and take out your pizza.. Skip the mad house part.

You forgot the growler wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
A few years back my father's day gift was a train ride from Portage to Grandview (1/2 way to Seward) It was a great 1/2 day trip and a chance to see terrain you can't see from the Seward Hwy. Taking that trip in the morning and hitting the wildlife center and Girdwood for gold panning/hiking/tram ride and dinner would make for a good day.

Mooses Tooth is ridiculously crowded at lunchtime and more so from 5:30-8:00 and that's daily, not just weekends. But if you grab a late lunch or early dinner 2:00-4:00 you'll have little or no wait. Haven't tried ER Alehouse yet but my kids give it high marks.
You should and if you like fish tacos, try their Ahi Tacos, they are fantastic.

Steelhead

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fish tacos you say?

[Linked Image]

I've been known to put away one or two

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Dozen?
smile

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Those weren't all for me wink

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Well, OK. It's your story!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
If you're doing a fly-by, a year's not enough to look around, say nothing of of a month or week, good advice given here. Maybe the best advice so far is to make time to enjoy what you decide to do, without rushing on to the next place. Everyone that has gone to AK with us starts the trip with: "this is a one time trip for us". By the time we head for home, most are already planning the next trip. Research what you and your family might like to do with some of the advice given, and enjoy your trip.

"The day I went to work everybody showed up to watch Johnny Luster work. Well, they had a wheelbarrow there, and said I was to push that thing around all day. I looked at it, then turned around and headed for the mountians..."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Fish tacos you say?

[Linked Image]

I've been known to put away one or two
The wife's been making Ahi and Mahi tacos the last couple of months so I don't have to go to the Alehouse to have them because hers are better IMO. Next time she makes them I'll post some pics.

Steelhead

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
We thought about trying some fishing. Anyone know anything about Acord Guide Service? The website says they fish on the Little Sustina R. and its tributaries.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Bluntly, your timing sucks for Little Su salmon fishing... I would pass...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by maggie
If you're doing a fly-by, a year's not enough to look around, say nothing of of a month or week, good advice given here. Maybe the best advice so far is to make time to enjoy what you decide to do, without rushing on to the next place. Everyone that has gone to AK with us starts the trip with: "this is a one time trip for us". By the time we head for home, most are already planning the next trip. Research what you and your family might like to do with some of the advice given, and enjoy your trip.

We are trying so damn hard to make it a one last time trip ..... LOL

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
3 Rivers Tackle in Wasilla can give you guide advice and local fishing info.

I agree you can't get it all in a week. But I know people that have come here just to drive and do little else. If that is your thing then drive till the wheels fall off. Just know what you like.

Personally I wouldn't go to any restaurant and would get all my food at Fred Meyer. But if you want to kill time and money have at it. And don't expect good service or prices.

All the guys want to be me, and all the bitches want to do me.
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Bluntly, your timing sucks for Little Su salmon fishing... I would pass...

Is there a place to go then?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Get the hell out of Anchorage--

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

124 members (7887mm08, 44mc, 007FJ, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 35, 11 invisible), 1,497 guests, and 787 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,565
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.