Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
TOTO +4 ... Friend of mine that works for a plumbing supply house highly recommends them Have had one for 10+ years. Have never had to use the plunger. While you're at it, get a Bemis Whisper Close seat to go with it. Makes for the ULTIMATE in thrones...

GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I had the same problem at my house and my Dad's and the next door neighbors. The older American Standards we tried to tolerate were terrible.

It was explained to me that TOTO had the patent for a low water use toilet that would actually flush, but most other manufacturers are copying now. I suppose the patent ran out or something.

I have installed several Glacier Bay and they all work fantastic. They are the cheap chinese ones you get at Home Depot for $100 or so. I imagine most new toilets have copied the TOTO design and will work much better than what you have. Look for the big opening for the flush at the bottom of the tank.

We all know advertising works, we just don’t think it works on US!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Make it so it looks like JeffObama's pie hole. Guarantee to never clog smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I think most of the no clog toilets simply have a slightly larger throat and are glazed all the way to the end of the throat. I have a $149 American Standard no clog from HD and have no clog issues at all.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Yes, I have used a few tank type toilets in comercial establishments which sounded like a jet turbine intake when flushed. It would take a brick to plug one up. But I never got a make or model number from one. I want one in my house. For all I care, it can use 5 gal/flush. My aquifer is fully charges and electricity to run the well is cheap.

As we pass the 60 yr mark, a couple inches of increased seat height can also be usefull.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
We built a new house last year and I originally had picked out American Standard Champion 4 as the toilets I wanted installed based on reviews I had read. When we did the sit down with the plumbing people, they talked us into the Toto Entrade. It has the higher rim height for us older folk and has a quiet quick flush that is amazing how well it works. They said Toto has set the standard that everyone is trying to follow. From what I have seen I can not disagree.

3825 24336
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by hanco
Take it from a dumass plumber. Buy a good Kohler. Not the cheap one. American Standard residential and commercial toilets are dog cshit.The toto comercial are ok. No experience with Toto residential toilets yet. Just my opinion.

+1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

[/quote]Toto, a Japanese company that started selling toilets in the U.S. in 1989, now has about a third of the $320-million U.S. toilet market. It's gotten that slice with a better trap — a trapway, not a mousetrap. Toto's toilets (such as the Bristol) have longer and less convoluted trapways than traditional toilets, and their 3-inch (vs. 2 inches) flush valve — where the water leaves the tank — makes a big difference, too.[/quote]

Those Japanese really know their [bleep]!

3825 24336
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Agree with Toto. We have four and have had zero issues with them in eight years.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
We've used cheap and expensive names over the years.

I"ll never do anything but cheap again, get 7-10 years out of them and replace.

In fact one of the Kohler or Toto ones that was way high dollar was so worried about making a silent flush, it hardly flushed.....junk....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
BTW we have one thats higher at home right now, from when Grandma was still here. Worst thing to [bleep] on ever. Gets your legs and feet at such a high angle you can't hardly.... next year, it still works, its going to the junk pile. Never have a high one again.

YMMV

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
American Standard Champion 4 in "right height" configuration.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
When low flow toilets came out, 2 or 3 decades ago, they were not very good. And, indeed, the answer was to go to a junkyard and buy and old toilet and replace the seals and install it. Or buy one in Canada, which did not have low flow requirements.

Today the low flow toilets are very good. We have had a Toto for 5 years and never a problem, and I am 6-3 and 225 and I do put a strain on a toilet, if you know what I mean.

Also we got the ADA model, which is the high one, it sure makes life easier for a man to have the high toilet.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by fburgtx
TOTO

^^^^^^^^^
THIS

We have the low flow rules here and my older plumber recommended a "TOTO". This toilet fixed all my flushing issues!

Last edited by old_willys; 05/20/17.

Ted
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
American Standard champion 4 with the 1.6gpf. Have not had one clog since. Watch the video on them sucks like 18 golf balls down....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Southerntier8

Seriously. I have a 14 yr old American Standard that I am ready to take a 10 lb. hammer to. At least once a week, I'm running for the plunger. I want to replace it with one that WORKS! My only requirement for the new one is that it can handle a man sized turd. Would be nice if it were the standard height. Has anyone bought one in the past few years that has been trouble free? Its hard to believe the options available on toilets these days. I feel like I am vehicle shopping.

14-years sounds like it might be one of those "double flush" toilets? e.g. for #1 you just hit the handle, for #2 you have to hold the handle down till the detritus fully exits the room?

Unfortunately, for whatever reason, women think that all of their deposits only warrant a #1 flush. This is in spite of the fact that their actual deposit is at at the very least on par with the men in the house, but more importantly completely ignores the ridiculous volume of toilet paper expended.

In any case, as many have mentioned here, the newer low-flush toilets have apparently solved this gender flush-reluctance problem. I recently installed a 1.28? per flush Kohler that cost me in the $170 range at Lowes. It has no flush options, and every time I hit the lever I marvel at how it can swallow a Peterbuilt sized dougan with ease.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Are y'all saying you don't like the high toilets, also called the "ADA" models?
That is weird to me.
We have had a standard height toilet for 18 years and that thing was a pain in the ass to me, to coin a phrase. But the fiancee loved it!
I am 6-3 and she is 5-2.

So I built an addition 2 years ago and built a new bathroom in there, and I made damn sure to get an ADA model toilet in there.
This high toilet is so much more comfortable for me.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
this thread is full of chit.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Have an American Standard Champion 4. No problems. Went from clogging every time to no clogs.

Here's what to look for in any brand: fully glazed trapway, largest diameter trapway, largest flush valve size though this is less important.

Then teach everyone in the house how to correctly use a modern toilet--IT MUST BE FLUSHED. USE MORE WATER!!! FLUSH IT AGAIN to put enough water down the drain to keep your sewers moving. Especially if you use "flushable" wipes, which are known sewer cloggers.

Low-flow toilets are responsible for more toxic chemicals being added to the sewage systems than any thing else done in America.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (1OntarioJim, 1234, 11point, 160user, 10ring1, 219 Wasp, 72 invisible), 3,001 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,335
Posts18,468,674
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.