Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Just curious as to what people think are the WORST rifles, especially when it comes to gas handling and other safety features, accuracy, durability, reliability, etc. Might as well thow in worst value for your money, too.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Worst instance of a major gun manufacturer putting their name on a crap rifle - Rem 710/770 series

Ugliest rifle ever made - T/C Dimension

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Any of the non Model 7 or 700 crap remington has imported (except for the mini mauser clones)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
TC Dimension

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wonder who came up with the idea of a Hogue Overmold/AR-15 love child.

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/rifles/flexing-muscle-mossberg-mvp-flex-review/

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
IC B2

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
mossberg.

ive had great luck with recent rem 700s.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Worst value for your money is probably a converted Mauser or Arisaka.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+1 on a Remmy 710 for worst rifle ever made...traded into one in 30-06 to use for hog hunting in rough stuff on Public Ground, 1st hunt, in the rain the rifle rusted, 1st shot at game in the rain & the POS bolt stop failed on the reloading cycle and the rest of the sounder hauled Arse with a wounded hog on the ground and needing to finish the 200 lb'er and I'm standing there watching 20+ piggies leave with the bolt out of the rifle in my right hand...all I could to NOT thriow the danged bolt at them...Traded the gun to a dealer after I Spray Painted it with Rustoleum. grin
BUT it did fit me well and felt nice in the store, oh well never bought another Remmy rifle since then in the last 17 years.
Ron

TIME FOR TERM LIMITS !!!! Politicians are just like diapers, they need to be changed often and regularly for the same reason...Robin Williams.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Remington bolt rifles with the exception of 700 and 798.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Higbean
I wonder who came up with the idea of a Hogue Overmold/AR-15 love child.

"Highbeam" grin, I still have a Hogue O M for my 10-22......somewhere, I'd have to look for it. It was BULBOUS in the hands.

Say Hig.. it's been a while since I MIS read your handle. I figured it out when in your response you called me JMALL laugh
It was UNintentional , a simple misread.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Coyote - since I'm not a gunsmith I don't feel I have a qualified answer to your ?

At the same time, there are a few Brands-models NO ONE will ever see me carrying/shooting/hunting. Admittedly that's my prejudice.
Some on appearance, some on feel, some on reports of others but it IS the way I feel.

I'm not a snob using ONLY Blasers, Kleingunthers, etc. I have Rems, Wins, Rugers, and 1 98.
Edit to add - Tikka T 3

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 05/20/17.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Just curious as to what people think are the WORST rifles, especially when it comes to gas handling and other safety features, accuracy, durability, reliability, etc. Might as well thow in worst value for your money, too.

Worst value is probably a sporterized military rifle.

Worst model recent production bolt action sporting rifle is probably the Remington 710/770 series.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I only like Rugers, Winchester Mod 70, Sako, or Howa/Vanguards. Anything else I'm not interested in so that would be hard for me to say. Not interested in any Remingtons 710, Mossbergs, or anything along that line. Sorry, I guess I'm a snob.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Actually it's a toss up between the Raptor and the Remington 710.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I wouldn't know I don't buy them. One cheap Rossi pump .22 magnum and a Taurus 22 LR revolver and I'm cured of crap guns for life.

Last edited by Fireball2; 05/21/17.

LOL
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How about the Savage B Mag?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TATELAW
Worst instance of a major gun manufacturer putting their name on a crap rifle - Rem 710/770 series

We can close the thread now. For a long time I thought the Raptor rifle was going to be unbeatable (Charter Arms bought it and improved it and Mossberg bought it from them and improved it some more, but it was really rough in its original incarnation.)

But Remington managed to sink even lower with the 710/770. It makes a Bic lighter look like a shining example of Old World craftsmanship. When I worked at a gun shop the buyer bought two sight unseen. They ended up as door prizes for a hunt club dinner because none of the salesmen would show them to customers.

Yep, the 710/770 is the low point for modern centerfire rifle production. And I hope it remains so.

Last edited by natman; 05/21/17.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If by "worst" we mean the ones the are most prone to parts breaking or coming apart, I can tell you that there is one American made bolt action that leads the pack in needed repairs by over 6X.

I know. I am one of the men that repairs them.
In fact I use to work at a service center for the western states, for the company that makes it.

Not hard to figure out.
If you go to a Brownells catalog or a Midway catalog you'll find offerings for conversions to replace it's extractors with other designs and factory replacement extractors too.

You'll find a LOT of after market triggers offered.

In the past and maybe today you can also find jigs to hold the bolt handles in correct alignment to the bolt bodies,so they can be re-soldered back on then they come off. (which they do from time to time)

No other gun has as much "support" ------so called.
(which really means parts to repair and replace the defective parts and weak parts)

In fact, no other gun or gun maker of today has many after-market goodies offered at all, because they don't have as many failures. Even on the lowest-priced guns, made by other manufacturers you don't see anywhere near the number of parts failures. Replacement triggers yes, to improve trigger pulls, but not aftermarket parts made to replace broken parts.

It is one of the most popular bolt action in the USA, but that is NOT NOT NOT a reason to believe it's best.

it is very pretty and very well finished as a rule, and slick to operate. Also as a rule they are also quite accurate.
But overall if fails more then any other bolt gun.

In my many decades of gunsmiths if I look at the "bound books" and see what guns I have done major repairs on for the reason of part failure, this bolt action has more entry's then the next 6 models or makers combined.

See if you can guess which one it is.

It's popular enough that naming it seems to be insulting peoples religion, or insulting their kids. It draws hatred and excuses. But facts are facts.
Opinions can vary as to what those facts mean, but the facts still stand.

Last edited by szihn; 05/21/17.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Szihn.

Brownells also sells a hell of a lot of m1911,AR-15 and Ruger 10/22 parts too. Does that mean THOSE designs are inherently flawed as well?

Browmells sells so many aftermarket parts for Remington 700s for this reason alone-
More Remington m700 rifles have been built in the last 50 years than any other centerfire bolt action rifle in the US- I believe over 6 million.
Plus all of its siblings which use many of the same parts- the m600,660,m7 and XP100.

So, just by shear mathmatical odds alone- you would see more of them in your shop. Or more folks want to customize them.

And BTW, Remington m700s have always been reasonably priced rifles. Which means a lot of ignorant newbies have owned them over the years.
Which leads to idiotic things like improperly adjusting or not maintaning triggers or getting talked into converting the extractor design to the SAKO or AR-15 style because. some "expert" told them to.. And sadly,some of those self styled "experts" adjust Remington triggers lower than their factory designed pull weights and sear engagements. Or flood them with oil that dries over time and leads to malfunctions.

But once a gunsmith or lawyer gets involved- magically that all becomes Remington's fault because they did not make a MORON PROOF rifle.

The 30+ m700s I have owned/shot/tuned during the last 30 years have all run just fine
Feed and extracted fine .Clean, safe triggers and good to amazing accuracy right out if the box.No ADs or misfeeds.

BTW, No rifle model is a "religion" to me..The bolt action centerfires in my cabinet currently include everything from Pre 64 m70s and Sakos to a new Ruger American. And right now, there are more m700s in the rack than any other model because in my experience -they work.

Last edited by jk16; 05/21/17.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by moosemike
Actually it's a toss up between the Raptor and the Remington 710.

Beat me to it, I was gonna say the Craptor, with a side order of 710/770/783 Remingtons.

There are some others that remind me of crap on a stick, T/Cs stand out, but they usually are better than those mentioned above.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1337Fungi, 50 invisible), 2,479 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,329
Posts18,468,550
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.