Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

I've probably owned close to 100 rifles in the Remington 700 family over the past 50 years, still have 55, and have never had a problem with any of them. A small percentage of a very large number may be a meaningful number to some people, but it remains a very small percentage of the entire production run. Remington may look at their error rate and after comparing that number to the number of 700s produced, find that the error rate is too small to be worth fixing. I would assume that cost to benefit analysis is taught in operations 101 in every MBA program in America.

The correct cost-benefit analysis is a few cents per rifle versus many cents per rifle. Assume 5 million M700s manufactured and 5 cents to fix the problem. That comes to $250,000 over the life of the product so far. Add $50,000 for every additional 1 million rifles produced.

Now consider the payouts for the lawsuits, the cost of lawyers, the increased cost of liability insurance and lost sales due to bad publicity. That cost will easily be in the multiple million$ and I suspect is in the ten$ of million$.

When Walker warned of the problem and provided a solution, Remington should have listened.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
A note re my last post....

That post was not written to bash Remington. That said, a careful review has led me to believe that Remington acted with wanton disregard for their customer's safety. They are not the only company that has done this and won't be the last.

A few years back Sako had a problem with stainless barrels blowing up. Did they issue a recall? Not that I noticed. Instead they tried to track down the rifles that could be affected, knowing that they could not track them all. Eh, whats a few untraceable rifles with potentially bad barrels? Maybe nobody will get unlucky...

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 05/24/17. Reason: ' not ]

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Pre-64 Model 70 Winchester.

Amen, I thought I was the only one..............and I agree with your points about never !!!!!!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I may interject a question please, how would you know if a Walker trigger is in your 25 yr. old M700 30-06 ?

Should I take it to a good gunsmith ?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by jorgeI
I currently own one. A very accurate, heavy barreled 22-250 we keep in our place in PA for groundhogs. That's all we use it for. Loaded single round and never use the safety. I don't own any Yugos either, but somehow I know they are POS. Does your safety lock the bolt? (rhetorical question). That alone right there, is enough to elevate them to POS status.

Their POS status must be why virtually every custom action is based on the design. Makes perfect sense to me...

To you, yes, but let me go check what the premier gunmakers (you know like Echols, WR, H&H, etc) are using. OK done...

Sales are about a lot more than just branding. The folks able to afford the custom makers you listed likely grew up in the Jack O era and so developed their obsession with the pre-64 70... but Winchester was so proud of the design even they dropped it for quite a while.

Confusing good bean-counting with ignoring safety issues and using anti-gun-media-derived lies like Walker's "memo" is playing into the anti-gunners hand.

Locking bolt safeties are available, easily, and cheaply for the 700. Lawyers forced that move after a woman killed her son while unloading her rifle while pointing it at her son (yes, through a stock trailer) and no one (not even Jack Belk) could make it repeat the action. At the same time EVERYONE could make it repeat the action simply by placing their finger on the trigger. It was all about balancing financial risk with cost.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

I've probably owned close to 100 rifles in the Remington 700 family over the past 50 years, still have 55, and have never had a problem with any of them. A small percentage of a very large number may be a meaningful number to some people, but it remains a very small percentage of the entire production run. Remington may look at their error rate and after comparing that number to the number of 700s produced, find that the error rate is too small to be worth fixing. I would assume that cost to benefit analysis is taught in operations 101 in every MBA program in America.

The correct cost-benefit analysis is a few cents per rifle versus many cents per rifle. Assume 5 million M700s manufactured and 5 cents to fix the problem. That comes to $250,000 over the life of the product so far. Add $50,000 for every additional 1 million rifles produced.

Now consider the payouts for the lawsuits, the cost of lawyers, the increased cost of liability insurance and lost sales due to bad publicity. That cost will easily be in the multiple million$ and I suspect is in the ten$ of million$.

When Walker warned of the problem and provided a solution, Remington should have listened.

Okay, so you watched and believed the very biased 60 Minutes show which has been proven repeatedly to have lied...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Those that don't carry their own rifles and pay to hunt, generally don't use 700's. Those are also the last ones to get advice about anything hunting related from.

Carry on

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Possibly the worst modern rifle (dollar for dollar) I've had any experience with is probably the Golden Eagle (affectionately known as the Gilded Turkey by those familiar with it) this was the epitome of a polished turd.
The Cooey Model 71 was a Canadian-made winchester derivitive which took the post-64 Model 70 and cheapened it even further. It was cheap, homely, and poorly finished but was usually surprisingly accurate.
The Midland 2100 was a Parker Hale effort which used a crude Mauser-like receiver which was fitted with a Springfield bolt. Crude, clunky, and unattractive, it should never have been made. GD

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bwana_1
If I may interject a question please, how would you know if a Walker trigger is in your 25 yr. old M700 30-06 ?

Because you ask - if you are concerned, yes.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Okay, so you watched and believed the very biased 60 Minutes show which has been proven repeatedly to have lied...

Never saw the CBS show about Remington (at least not that I can recall) but did do quite a bit of research on the subject some years back.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 05/24/17.

IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I bought a M70 Winchester ten years ago and that sumbitch wouldn't hit due east....until I worked it over!!

Most of the gun manufacturers know that the average Joe doesn't know schitt about firearms or what's good accuracy so they can get away with building schitt for firearms!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Thank you Coyote Hunter, wasn't sure if it only effected newer rifles...I'll take it over to be checked, and change to a quality after market if needed,,,love my Remingtons.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Those that don't carry their own rifles and pay to hunt, generally don't use 700's. Those are also the last ones to get advice about anything hunting related from.

Carry on

They certainly aren’t the type I would generally seek advice from, but they are not necessarily the last, either.

Not sure what to make of your post, but it shows as a reply to me.

If you are suggesting I don’t carry my own rifle, you are mistaken. Been carrying my own all my life. Well, except for one antelope hunt in Wyoming where I took two of my nephews. Loaned each a rifle, didn’t take one for myself. After the second got his antelope down, I “borrowed” my own rifle and carried it until I got my own antelope - so even then I carried it while I was actually hunting.

Also, if you are suggesting I pay the big bucks to hunt, you are again mistaken. We hunt Wyoming antelope on both public and private land. When on private land we give the landowners $50 per antelope down plus the landowner coupons, which I think are worth $16 each. None of the several ranches we hunt want have asked for money – the $50 is just a goodwill offering on our part. Earlier this week I sent a thank you letter to one of the ranchers with a photo of Daughter #3 and her first big game animal, a doe antelope taken last year on his ranch. We hope to be back on his ranch again in October, along with a couple of other ranches.

Since I got started hunting Colorado big game in 1982, missing only one year since, I have paid to hunt private land in Colorado exactly three times. The first time was in 2009 or 2010 when my hip was so bad I could hardly walk around the truck. I paid $500 for the opportunity (and was happy to have it) but ended up passing on the shots offered. Another was a year or two later when my hip was still bothering me and I paid $300. The last was for the opportunity to hunt a rancher’s hay field. He didn’t want any money but I took a decent-sized buck and left a goodwill check for $100 in his screen door when I left. All of my other hunts have been on publicly accessible land. (This includes Colorado’s Ranching For Wildlife ranches, which are equally available to all Colorado residents and for which licenses cost the same as regular public land licenses - about $49 these days).

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
This is just a me thing, but I have never owned a M77 Ruger that shot worth a sheit. I may try at some point in the future, but it has surely never happened yet.

Just sayin'. donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Thank you Coyote Hunter, wasn't sure if it only effected newer rifles...I'll take it over to be checked, and change to a quality after market if needed,,,love my Remingtons.

Remington has a recall on some of their newer triggers but the Walker was the old design they used for decades. A rifle you cant trust isn't a rifle I would want to carry, hence my response. I trust my M700 but I also treat it like I do my other firearms - never point it at something you're not willing to destroy.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Remington has a recall on some of their newer triggers but the Walker was the old design they used for decades. A rifle you cant trust isn't a rifle I would want to carry, hence my response. I trust my M700 but I also treat it like I do my other firearms - never point it at something you're not willing to destroy.

What EXACTLY do you think is wrong with the Walker trigger? You have not said anything specific and of substance and I am wondering whose line of reasoning you are swallowing.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by donsm70
This is just a me thing, but I have never owned a M77 Ruger that shot worth a sheit. I may try at some point in the future, but it has surely never happened yet.

Just sayin'. donsm70

For a time Ruger bores were three thousandths oversize to reduce the possibility of serious pressure problems... that did not make them shoot better...

One of the most accurate rifles I have ever dealt with is a tanger 77V in 243 I bought in 1977 and still own. It can do amazing things...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Load it, put the safety on and pull the trigger several times hard, then look down the muzzle while you release the safety... If you see a bright light it will be the first time...

Double entendre intended...

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Remington has churned out a lot of turds.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by donsm70

Just sayin'. donsm70

That has been my experience as well.

All said and done though, I think a pretty good case has been made for the M700 as the worst built, the primary issue being the trigger issue.
I've owned 3, still have one. They all worked and shot fine, accuracy was OK . The 300RUM was a tackdriver, quite exceptional for my experience with 700's back in the 90's.
I've since had as good accuracy as that 300RUM, with Tikkas, Weatherbys, and Brownings, carte blanche.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 1234, 11point, 63 invisible), 3,016 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,340
Posts18,468,711
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.