Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jorgeI
You will usually find people that pay to hunt, as well as on their own, not to mention own, or have owned almost the full spectrum of rifle makers, often-times provide far better recommendations that from some of those who eschew paid hunting. To some, since they can't afford it, must condemn it in order to satisfy their own limitations. . One gets to see and experience folks from many walks of life, with a wide knowledge of hunting. A couple of folks here posted some pretty factual issues with the 700s, but their emotions get in the way of reasoning and those are the ones I avoid soliciting advise from, like for example, hunting with a cold chamber. Then again, with a 700, not only will you have to mind the fail on fire safety, but rounds tumbling out if the bolt catches on a limb..

Anecdotal white noise is anecdotal white noise...

Fact:
Come to AK and hunt and you will be following someone like me (PM an address and I will send you a tee-shirt wink ) in a much younger version. You will have a cold chamber.

I would happily bet the number of rifles you have owned falls short of mine by at least an order of magnitude. You will have owned more Roys than me, but that is just my superior taste showing up... wink

As for affording higher end guns... well, I suspect you would lose that argument on its face, instantly.

Popular has NEVER equaled "right" nor "good" nor "better" nor "mechanically superior" nor "anatomically correct" nor "smarter" nor "stealthier"... it has usurped a niche of know-nothings bent on proving exactly that. Those with "tattoos", tee-shirts, and testosterone routinely show where the clues are hidden.

As for the locking bolt... for those so totally unaware as to need this tutorial... Really???
1) The bolt lock elimination was a lawyer-driven cluster but many locking bolt releases are available cheap on EBay and many other sites,
2) Carrying COLD as you ABSOLUTELY would be in AK obviates the concern about being so oblivious to your environment as to dump your magazine with one naughty limb. It would take real doing to dump anything, let alone a full magazine.
3) That cadre from "many walks of life" has routinely required "saving" from pitfalls ranging from ankle-deep water at floatplane disembarkation to coffee-water boiling under 210F . Both barely survived and proved it by bringing up both incidents repeatedly...
4) Some you bad-mouth spend more time in a year hunting than you do in a decade... or more...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
Remington has never managed to make a trigger on the 700 they didn't then have to turn around and recall. I'd say the recalls speak for themselves. Combine that with bad extraction, mobile bolt handles, run away bolts, and a round bottom small lug action not conducive to anything more than a gopher round, and I think they could reasonably be tagged as the worst. I'm sure it bunches some panties, but those are the facts.

Really? Care to chronicle the recalls?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The notion of me going hunting with you, are about as good as me owning another 700.

Everything else you posted to use your words is nothing more than anecdotal white noise and BTW, I own far more 70s and other brands (like Browning Safari grades) than I do Weatherby.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jwall

A couple of folks here posted some pretty factual issues with the 700s, but their emotions get in the way of reasoning and .....

Yep. Some love to hate.

My first 700 was a BDL in 75 OR 76. NEVER been without a FEW since. Thousands of rounds shot thru them.

NOT one of ANY of the 'common failures' have I nor friends experienced.

** Now I'm NOT saying there haven't been any failures, I know there have been.
It's my opinion the % of failures is small compared to the number of 700s in service by SO MANY people.

"emotions" ruling the page. Some love to hate.

I have very strong objections to 1 or 2 brands of rifles and I detest the appearance of 1 model of a rifle.
I don't go on any rant but I have expressed my opinion or preference a few times but I don't constantly beat the drum.

Jerry

Hate is a very strong word and certainly not worthy of spending that kind of energy on an inanimate object. I reserve that emotion for important stuff. Jeff Obama, Meat Gazer and democrats come to mind, I just expressed an OPINION and this is a forum whose 99% of its existence is based on that premise.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
You will usually find people that pay to hunt, as well as on their own, not to mention own, or have owned almost the full spectrum of rifle makers, often-times provide far better recommendations that from some of those who eschew paid hunting. To some, since they can't afford it, must condemn it in order to satisfy their own limitations. . One gets to see and experience folks from many walks of life, with a wide knowledge of hunting. A couple of folks here posted some pretty factual issues with the 700s, but their emotions get in the way of reasoning and those are the ones I avoid soliciting advise from, like for example, hunting with a cold chamber. Then again, with a 700, not only will you have to mind the fail on fire safety, but rounds tumbling out if the bolt catches on a limb..

Fact:
Come to AK and hunt and you will be following someone like me (PM an address and I will send you a tee-shirt wink ) in a much younger version. You will have a cold chamber.

I would happily bet the number of rifles you have owned falls short of mine by at least an order of magnitude. You will have owned more Roys than me, but that is just my superior taste showing up... wink

As for affording higher end guns... well, I suspect you would lose that argument on its face, instantly.

Popular has NEVER equaled "right" nor "good" nor "better" nor "mechanically superior" nor "anatomically correct" nor "smarter" nor "stealthier"... it has usurped a niche of know-nothings bent on proving exactly that. Those with "tattoos", tee-shirts, and testosterone routinely show where the clues are hidden.

As for the locking bolt... for those so totally unaware as to need this tutorial... Really???
1) The bolt lock elimination was a lawyer-driven cluster but many locking bolt releases are available cheap on EBay and many other sites,
2) Carrying COLD as you ABSOLUTELY would be in AK obviates the concern about being so oblivious to your environment as to dump your magazine with one naughty limb. It would take real doing to dump anything, let alone a full magazine.
3) That cadre from "many walks of life" has routinely required "saving" from pitfalls ranging from ankle-deep water at floatplane disembarkation to coffee-water boiling under 210F . Both barely survived and proved it by bringing up both incidents repeatedly...
4) Some you bad-mouth spend more time in a year hunting than you do in a decade... or more...

Has cold bore been a standard in AK for a long time or is it a fairly recent practice? I recognize that Kodiak is somewhat isolated, but when I was stationed there from 96-99, nobody I knew of hunted with a cold bore. In fact I never heard the words cold bore uttered. Is cold bore the standard only for clients being guided or is it common across the board? Not looking to pick a fight at all, I am just wondering how I never heard of it despite spending 3 years in AK hunting circles. In fact, I can't remember reading about it in the many books I have read and I can't remember seeing play out on the AK hunting shows I have watched.

IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Remington has never managed to make a trigger on the 700 they didn't then have to turn around and recall. I'd say the recalls speak for themselves. Combine that with bad extraction, mobile bolt handles, run away bolts, and a round bottom small lug action not conducive to anything more than a gopher round, and I think they could reasonably be tagged as the worst. I'm sure it bunches some panties, but those are the facts.

Really? Care to chronicle the recalls?

Don't tell me someone so far up in Remington's nether regions hasn't heard!

Here's the recall of the Walker trigger (everything since the beginning of the M700):
http://settlement.repair.remington.com/

And here's the X-Mark Pro (the faulty replacement for the faulty Walker trigger):
https://xmprecall.remington.com/

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Fact:

Has cold bore been a standard in AK for a long time or is it a fairly recent practice? I recognize that Kodiak is somewhat isolated, but when I was stationed there from 96-99, nobody I knew of hunted with a cold bore. In fact I never heard the words cold bore uttered. Is cold bore the standard only for clients being guided or is it common across the board? Not looking to pick a fight at all, I am just wondering how I never heard of it despite spending 3 years in AK hunting circles. In fact, I can't remember reading about it in the many books I have read and I can't remember seeing play out on the AK hunting shows I have watched.

The cold bore issue has been beat to death here by two seemingly intransigent camps. I've hunted with a "hot bore", safety on and muzzle control my entire life and if African hunting/dangerous game hunting is worthy of a good measuring stick, not only will a PH MAKE YOU hunt with a loaded round, on dangerous game it would be stupid. Lastly, double or single shot rifles like Ruger #1s for example are by design always loaded. Unless of course either you or your "guide" use the Barney Fife principle and if that is the case, I wouldn't be hunting with them in the first place..

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
The cold bore thing is just an excuse by a Remington fanboy who can't admit he's a fan of a rifle with a faulty trigger. Well, actually two faulty triggers.

Last edited by Llama_Bob; 06/01/17.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The cold bore thing is just an excuse by a Remington fanboy who can't admit he's a fan of a rifle with a faulty trigger. Well, actually two faulty triggers.

That might not be quite accurate. There are others here who subscribe to that, regardless of weapon used.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I had a Kimber in 308 heavy barrel worst rifle ever, sent it back to yonkers twice, and each time it came back worst then the last time I sent it in, it was also the first time I spent $1100.00 on a rifle. That cured me of ever wanting anything with Kimber written on it.

IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

That might not be quite accurate. There are others here who subscribe to that, regardless of weapon used.

There's people who carry their handguns in condition 3 too, and it's just as absurd. Any gun you're prepared to defend yourself from threats with (whether 2 or 4 legged) needs a round in the chamber. If your gun isn't safe in that condition, you need a better gun. If you can't avoid pointing it at things you don't want to shoot, you need to stop handling guns.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
It should also be noted that trying to protect yourself from the bad gun handling of others by insisting their guns be unloaded is a violation of the 1st and 2nd safety rules.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
It should also be noted that trying to protect yourself from the bad gun handling of others by insisting their guns be unloaded is a violation of the 1st and 2nd safety rules.

Whose rules would those be? They vary depending on which list you look at.

The NSSF lists these:
1. Always Keep The Muzzle Pointed In A Safe Direction
2. Firearms Should Be Unloaded When Not Actually In Use
3. Don't Rely On Your Gun's "Safety"
4. Be Sure Of Your Target And What's Beyond It
5. Use Correct Ammunition
6. If Your Gun Fails To Fire When The Trigger Is Pulled, Handle With Care!
7. Always Wear Eye And Ear Protection When Shooting
8. Be Sure The Barrel Is Clear Of Obstructions Before Shooting
9. Don't Alter Or Modify Your Gun, And Have Guns Serviced Regularly
10. Learn The Mechanical And Handling Characteristics Of The Firearm You Are Using

Te NRA's top 3 are:
1. ALWAYS Keep The Gun Pointed In A Safe Direction
2. ALWAYS Keep Your Finger Off The Trigger Until Ready To Shoot
3. ALWAYS Keep The Gun Unloaded Until Ready To Use

Regardless of the list, protecting yourself by insisting guns be unloaded is not a violation of any safety rule. Insisting on guns being unloaded is a far cry from permitting unsafe firearm handling.

Unloaded firearms and following firearm safety rules are NOT mutually exclusive but rather complementary if the actual goal is safety.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Cooper.

1) All guns are always loaded.
2) Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy. (For those who insist that this particular gun is unloaded, see Rule 1.)
3) Keep your finger off the trigger till your sights are on the target.
4) Identify your target, and what is behind it.

Trying to protect yourself by telling people to unload their guns is ABSOLUTELY a violation of rules 1) and 2). The gun is still loaded, and if it's muzzling you, rule 2) is violated as well.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Yup. We hunt that way a LOT. Most of the time, in fact, and by a wide margin. It isn't like we're headed into a hot combat zone.

I carry my CCW handguns empty chamber most of the time as well. This gives me one manual of arms to deal with - rack and fire, no need to think about which one I'm carrying and whether it is single or double action, safety up or down, etc. Big Bro gives me grief for doing so but he is the one that had a thumb slip and ended up with a hole in the floorboard of his car. I do load a round when I think time may be of the essence.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

I carry my CCW handguns empty chamber most of the time as well.

Well, we found one in the wild.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Use what you like and makes you comfortable. Let others do the same

It ain't the Arrows it's the Indian

Beware a good Indian with good arrows

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jorgeI[quote=jorgeI

A couple of folks here posted some pretty factual issues with the 700s, but their emotions get in the way of reasoning [quote]

Hate is a very strong word and certainly not worthy of spending that kind of energy on an inanimate object. I reserve that emotion for important stuff. Jeff Obama, Meat Gazer and democrats come to mind, I just expressed an OPINION and this is a forum whose 99% of its existence is based on that premise.

I assure you that I was NOT implying that you hate 700s.

However I have read repeatedly the same old song by 'some' that it's not hard to know they hate Remington and especially 700s.

Even tho I despise a few things in the rifle market, most of the time I either don't post it or keep my comments tame.

We ALL have our preferences and they ALL are not the same.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
C H

I've stated this before. If I'm hunting, it's loaded (HOT).

"Unloaded" is not limited to the chamber. Rounds in the magazine constitutes 'loaded' .
Ask most Game Officers.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"Unloaded" is not limited to the chamber. Rounds in the magazine constitutes 'loaded' .
Ask most Game Officers.

Jerry,

That's a rather broad statement to make considering differing laws across the states. In Utah, you would be wrong.

76-10-502 When weapon deemed loaded.
(1) For the purpose of this chapter, any pistol, revolver, shotgun, rifle, or other weapon described
in this part shall be deemed to be loaded when there is an unexpended cartridge, shell, or
projectile in the firing position
. [emphasis mine]

In Utah, a firearm in that does not have a round in the chamber is legally defined as "unloaded". A game warden that asks to see your weapons in your vehicle will not bat an eye on a loaded magazine as long as the chamber is empty. I know from personal experience.

Thanks.

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (219 Wasp, 10gaugeman, 1234, 17CalFan, 22kHornet, 222Sako, 45 invisible), 2,641 guests, and 1,143 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,291
Posts18,467,947
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.