24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Is there a smith on the Fire that is willing to install a grind-to-fit Limbsaver recoil pad on a finished Brown Precision Kevlar Stock if needed? I'll be contacting LS today to see if their synthetic stock recoil pad would be a direct fit, but I doubt it.

Thanks

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

BP-B2

KMS Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It won't be a direct fit because typically, you want to remove buttstock material equal with the thickness of the pad.

Kelly
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KMS
It won't be a direct fit because typically, you want to remove buttstock material equal with the thickness of the pad.

I should've stated this rifle came from the custom shop in '86 and already has a recoil pad installed and I'm just replacing it. I was in a hurry to make a morning meeting and left a few details out when posting.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Personally I would pick a decelerator over a Limbsaver pad any day of the week. Contact Redneck

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
+1 on both comments.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Personally I would pick a decelerator over a Limbsaver pad any day of the week. Contact Redneck

I had one on a Weatherby Super Big Game Master, now know as the Ultra Light; seemed to do the job alright. This goes without saying, but I'm looking for something that will really soak-up recoil. I anticipate this rifle kicking like a bayed mule.

Are you basing your opinion on looks, performance or both? Enlighten me oh wise one. grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

^^^ This

I might go as far as to add KickEze as an option. They grind and finish very well. Decelarators have a steel plate in the base and therefore must be sized and positioned correctly before grinding. Limbsavers are a PITA to grind. Real soft and gummy as I recall. I've ground and finished exactly one Limbsaver. Never again. Some suggest freezing a Limbsaver before grinding, but I'm not going to try. Decelerators and KickEze have satisfied my needs.

BTW, wasn't it a Limbsaver (or derivative) that was put on Remingtons, which after a few years began to degrade?

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WiFowler

BTW, wasn't it a Limbsaver (or derivative) that was put on Remingtons, which after a few years began to degrade?

I've heard of freezing a Limbsaver prior to grinding and yes it was Limbsavers that degraded, but IIRC, it was a bad batch of material from their supplier that caused the problem. Perhaps someone with a better memory than I can comment about that.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Just shot my Win. M/70 .30-06 with Decelerator pad, what a difference vs. the previous Pachmyer vent pad. J. Kobe installed the Decelerator, excellent job, quick turnaround fairly priced.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The uber soft pads combined with hard kicking rifles and less than generous eyebox scopes are the trifecta of tragedy. I'll third the decellerator and kickez

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by high_country_
The uber soft pads combined with hard kicking rifles and less than generous eyebox scopes are the trifecta of tragedy. I'll third the decellerator and kickez

I failed to mention it is a 300 Win Mag, M700 KS Mountain Rifle. Bare rifle; 6lb 13oz

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by WiFowler

^^^ This

I might go as far as to add KickEze as an option. They grind and finish very well. Decelarators have a steel plate in the base and therefore must be sized and positioned correctly before grinding. Limbsavers are a PITA to grind. Real soft and gummy as I recall. I've ground and finished exactly one Limbsaver. Never again. Some suggest freezing a Limbsaver before grinding, but I'm not going to try. Decelerators and KickEze have satisfied my needs.

I believe they melted but they changed the ingredients..they still look like crap and work no better then a decelerator.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'll probably take your advice and go with the decelerator, but I do like the looks of the Dual Action Kick-Eez. I'll check with Redneck and see what he would prefer to work with as well.

ETA: I'll post a picture later this weekend or on Monday, perhaps one of you can identify who made the factory pad and if I'll be gaining anything by going with the Decelerator or Kick-Eez.

Thanks for the assistance.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by StudDuck
I'll probably take your advice and go with the decelerator, but I do like the looks of the Dual Action Kick-Eez. I'll check with Redneck and see what he would prefer to work with as well.

ETA: I'll post a picture later this weekend or on Monday, perhaps one of you can identify who made the factory pad and if I'll be gaining anything by going with the Decelerator or Kick-Eez.

Thanks for the assistance.

If it was a mcmillan stock then it would be a Pachmayr since that is what they offer on their new stocks and have for a very long time.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Existing factory pad; hard as a rock.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd leave it factory. Aren't you trying to sell the rifle.. I also noticed it's trigger was for sale.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GeoW
I'd leave it factory. Aren't you trying to sell the rifle.. I also noticed it's trigger was for sale.

I marked it down to a steal and there were no takers; I refuse to give it away. I swapped the factory trigger for a Timney, sending it off to have aluminum pillars installed and bedded. I don't need a magnum, but it will go into the field with me this year.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a couple KS. They are nice!

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
647 members (10gaugemag, 257Bob, 12344mag, 1234, 06hunter59, 257man, 74 invisible), 2,938 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,667
Posts18,399,373
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.