Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I am trying to remove an older 700 action from a wood stock. It does appear to have been bedded. Removed the bolt and the various screws, no movement at all. Action is a DBM if that matters. Screws went into the bottom of pillars not into the action like other 700 so I assume the action is stuck(?) to stock in that area. Do not need stock so no worries on it. Ideas??

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm interested to see what advice you will get. I've had mixed results with putting it in the freezer for a few hours, some of them just popped right out, some did not, but worth a try. You might even try a wedge at the tip of the fore end to create a little upward pressure on the barrel and hope for some good luck.

The older I get the better I was.
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
A shallow trench dug in the ground and filled with dry-ice is a good way to get them out.

Replace the rear guard screw and screw it into the gun, Then back it out 3 turns.

Then you bury the gun in dry ice for about 20 minutes and have gloves on when you take it out.

A few blows with a hardwood stock or large hammer handle on the underside of the barrel and a blow with a hammer and punch against the rear screw will usually pop one right out. Once you have it loose and it wiggles a bit remove the screw and then you can use the barrel and the open bolt as "handles" to rock it back and forth with upward pressure and walk it out.

Last edited by szihn; 05/21/17.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Originally Posted by DaddyRat
I Screws went into the bottom of pillars not into the action like other 700 .....

It sounds like you are saying the pillars are tapped and the screws went into the pillars - is that correct? They are not just a "tube" that the screw passes through? If that is the case, it sounds like the receiver would be fastened to the pillars somehow making it permanently attached to the stock due to bedding and the screws were only used to hold the DBM. Or maybe I am just not following.

"Any inanimate object will just sit there until a person picks it up.
What they do with it depends on what kind of respect they've
been taught for human life"
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Nope, you are following correctly.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would first try cold. In the deep freeze overnight and then some well placed taps with a heavy rubber mallet ...

If that doesn't work and you have a mechanical lock, then try heat. I have had success by using an iron at full heat placed on top of some kind of steel bases/ rings that have a good flat spot, and allowed to slowly heat everything up. It might take a while but if you can get all of the epoxy that is touching metal softened up enough, she might come out.

Tapped pillars ... That's a new one for me but that ain't saying much.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Tapped pillars would indicate to me that you have an intentional glue-in. If you don't need or want the stock, removing it from the action in little pieces may be preferable to performing a non-recoverable bubba job on the action.

KMS Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I once bought a used Winchester Model 70 that had a mechanical lock. Wound up having to cut the stock off. Some people have no business bedding a rifle.

Kelly
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My only suggestion would be to buy another box of ammo, I think the rifle's going to have to be re-sighted in. laugh

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by KMS
I once bought a used Winchester Model 70 that had a mechanical lock. Wound up having to cut the stock off. Some people have no business bedding a rifle.

LMAO.... (& so true.. )

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
The bench rest guys regularly glue the action into the stock. When they need to remove the action from the stock, the action is heated with a hot air gun to soften the epoxy bond to the metal while applying pressure. Sometimes they use a jig to push off the stock, pulling the action straight up. You might ask in the gunsmithing section of Benchrest Central for guys that have done it.

So you should be able to see the threaded holes for the action screws front and rear. Is there a screw in either one of them? If not, it is likely a glue in. If there are screws you could be in trouble. That would indicate that the pillars were mounted to the action and then glued into the stock. If that is the case and you can't access the bolt heads from the bottom, the best way to remove it would be to drill/mill the pillars out being careful not to cut into the action.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Never had the problem but years ago a gunsmith friend worked on benchrest actions. He would put the entire rifle in deep freeze overnight. Then he popped them out the next day. I'd try that first.

Used to be bobski, member since '01
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Only thing I can add is to soak everything down with Kroil for a few days before the Fire and Ice treatment begins. I had one that I thought I was going to ruin the barrel and action trying to get out and it popped right out after heat & cold plus Kroil. It was entirely re-usable. I have done the hatchet job and it creates a lot of clean up work the previous method doe's not. So I say F+I+K it.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I use a block of wood slid in from the bottom of the action. You can rap on that with a hammer and get a fairly even upward force without marring the metal.

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've placed a small wooden wedge between the stock and barrel then turned the rifle upside down and gave the stock a rap on the bench. You must make sure you are trying to remove it squarely....or it ain't coming.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Did you succeed?
I've nothing to add to what the gentlemen have already suggested. Freezing and a rubber mallet have worked for me.
I would like to know what you finally did.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
OK, Yes, there was success. The pillars were threaded and screwed into the receiver where the stock bolts would normally go. Once I got the pillars unscrewed everything popped loose and then bolted right back up into a HS Precision stock (with different bolts). Weirdest thing I have ever seen. Once end of the pillar was female threaded where the bottom metal was and the other end was male threaded where it screwed into the receiver. I can not post pics but I can text them to somebody if the want to post them.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by DaddyRat
OK, Yes, there was success. The pillars were threaded and screwed into the receiver where the stock bolts would normally go. Once I got the pillars unscrewed everything popped loose and then bolted right back up into a HS Precision stock (with different bolts). Weirdest thing I have ever seen. Once end of the pillar was female threaded where the bottom metal was and the other end was male threaded where it screwed into the receiver. I can not post pics but I can text them to somebody if the want to post them.

Someone went thru a lot of trouble doing that. WOW

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Interesting way to go about pillars I guess. Congrats on your success.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
675 members (1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 76 invisible), 2,909 guests, and 1,417 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,670
Posts18,399,478
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.