Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
So did we ever find out if the howa fits the nosler stock?

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
Originally Posted by John_Boy
I'll not a gambling man........ But if I was...... I'd bet that a Nosler stock would fit also as would their bottom metal.
However, they refuse to sell to me....... Imagine that.

I can try it tomorrow. I'll grab each off the shelf and give it a go.

Been wondering the same thing ?

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The gentleman has been building a new store so he's been a bit tied up.
I'll contact him to see.

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Got another one from Whittaker's last week. Don't want to imply that they aren't on par with 700s, but whenever someone asks about an Axis, American, 783 etc., "Howa" is the first word outta my mouth.

There are some Smith & Wesson 1500s that they put gorgeous factory wood on, and they still go for substantially less than other comparable rifles.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
i just received an alpine in 6.5cm. I had been looking for a Barrett fieldcraft and couldn't find one so had the local sportsmans warehouse transfer the alpine in from one of their other stores. There were only two left in the company. Of course a day after I initiated the transfer my local gun store called to tell me they were finally able to order in the fieldcraft so now I have them both. I like the alpine and think I'm going to hang on to it. Is the barrel break in procedure that howa includes with the gun really necessary?

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Paul

Barrel break in is a matter of different opinions.

Mine is that break in is just more wear on the life of the barrel. Totally useless.

There are others who don't agree.

Good luck

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by jwall
Paul

Barrel break in is a matter of different opinions.

Mine is that break in is just more wear on the life of the barrel. Totally useless.

There are others who don't agree.

Good luck

Jerry

Thanks Jerry. I've never done it before so I guess no reason to start now. I've also never had a rifle come with barrel break in recommendations from the manufacturer that I recall.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have 2 , 257 weatherby mag and a 6.5 Creedmoor and there 2 of the most accurate rifles I've every owned. There Weatherby Vanguards

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." -Theodore Roosevelt
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Went into a local pawnshop over a couple of years ago and found a Howa 1500 Hogue stocked rifle and a Vanguard, both a .243. About a $100 difference in their price, with the Vanguard being more costly. Condition of each rifle was about the same. Made an offer for the Howa which the manager accepted accepted, knocking off about another $50. The Howa shot well for me, but disliked the early version of the Hogue stock on it for my shooting from benchrest. . Would make a wood stock for it.

Several months ago, had it rebarreled to 6.5 CM by a fellow range member who is learning gunsmithing. Another range member I shoot with on a regular basis had also given him a Howa rifle to rebarrel and I'd heard about it. Both of us had furnished a Savage threaded barrel to use. Basically, our Howa receiver would be rethreaded to Winchester threads with a tap. Their diameter and pitch of threads is quite close, so running a tap into the receiver is quite easy. Half of the threads on our Savage threaded barrels would be re-threaded to Winchester on a lathe and a Savage barrel nut would be used to attach the barrel......so, we had a Win-Savage barreled Howa action. It has worked well for both of us.

Gent doing the gunsmithing is darn informed about rifles and etc,, but had never owned a Howa. He had a nice impression of the two he worked on. Both of us with the Howas had good opinion of our rifles....we just wanted a different cartridge rifle and our regular shooting buddy, the gunsmith novice, did the work for cheap.

In short, Howa makes a good rifle.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

660 members (007FJ, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1minute, 1936M71, 68 invisible), 3,247 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,588
Posts18,454,274
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.