Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#12046444 05/21/17
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
My dog is miserable and it doesn't seem to matter what we do we cannot rid him of fleas. He takes the Sentinel tabs for heartworms which are also supposed to kill fleas. We also use flea drops and he wears a flea collar and when we comb him nightly we get 8 to 10 fleas every night. Anyone else have this problem? I'm wondering if the fleas are resistant to the drugs and insecticides.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have had good luck using NEXgard for both ticks and fleas. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
talk to your vet, should be able to get a shot to keep them off.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
We spent about a grand the last three months account of those stupid things. The dogs ingested larve I guess..equals the chits. Now they are on Trifexa?

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
If you spray your yard with malathion you will kill the fleas in your yard, most likely were he is getting them unless you take him on runs in the woods and such. Malathion will also get rid of the other pests in your yard such as ticks, chiggers, and skeeters as well.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bravecto. It is an oral chew (to the dog it's a treat) that kills 98% of fleas for 12 weeks. Price is about $50 for the chewy tablet.
Began working immediately on a flea-infested rescue we got last year, and one dose was all it took.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by 12344mag
If you spray your yard with malathion you will kill the fleas in your yard, most likely were he is getting them unless you take him on runs in the woods and such. Malathion will also get rid of the other pests in your yard such as ticks, chiggers, and skeeters as well.

+1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Squirrelnut
My dog is miserable and it doesn't seem to matter what we do we cannot rid him of fleas. He takes the Sentinel tabs for heartworms which are also supposed to kill fleas. We also use flea drops and he wears a flea collar and when we comb him nightly we get 8 to 10 fleas every night. Anyone else have this problem? I'm wondering if the fleas are resistant to the drugs and insecticides.

you may be getting them from roaming pets in your area.
i have at least one neighbor that lets their cats run willy-nilly over the neighborhood and spreads them everywhere.
one has to have the exterminator over regularly to have the house sprayed. the same neighbor keeps cat food out
in a dish in their backyard 24/7 and draws all kinds of vermin including big rats. i'm the only one that will treat for
fire ants and rats and other undesirable pests. at one time, the neighbor's cat food was drawing possums regularly.
i caught one a night for 2 weeks in a row. i should also mention the loose cats would come here and sit on the front
porch and leave a deposit of fleas. when i'd walk outside to pick up the newspaper, i'd get fleas all over my legs.
a good regular spraying and other things took care of that. i really don't care to contract any vermin-borne illnesses.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by WhiteTail48
Bravecto. It is an oral chew (to the dog it's a treat) that kills 98% of fleas for 12 weeks. Price is about $50 for the chewy tablet.
Began working immediately on a flea-infested rescue we got last year, and one dose was all it took.

Yep. I put my dogs on it this year, as Wyoming is the wettest its been in 20 years. Expect a bumper crop of fleas and ticks this year. Well worth the $50.00 for 3 months.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
What kind of flea collar? Is the dog inside or outside? If outside at a box you will also likely need to treat the dogs pen and box to get rid of them.

Up to you but I haven't ran into any of those nasty critters, ticks, fleas, mites, lice, mosquitos, that have a stomach for a good permethrin based product.

I use the Freedom Spot on 45 for direct use on the dog. You can get it packaged for dogs, or do like I do and buy the ones packaged for horses as it's cheaper per ounce, then I just dose at dog dose. But even buying it packaged for dogs it just cost a little over $2 per dose and it lasts for a month per dose. 1.5 cc's for a dog under 33 lbs. 3cc's will treat a dog 33-66lbs. Over 66lbs is 6 cc's. Put half of the dose between their shoulders, the other half from between their hips down to the base of the tail. Because I buy it packaged for horses I put 3cc's into a 3cc syringe without the needle of course, and use it as an applicator to get it down through the hair and on their skin. If you buy it packaged for dogs you of course just use the pre-packaged applicators.

If your dog has that many fleas, then the area it spends a lot of time at is probably infested and will need treated. You will want to look for something along the lines of this.

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/pt-ultracide-20-oz-p-175.html

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
IC B3

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Alaska.... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I use Bravecto also, great stuff!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 12344mag

This is the answer, particularly if he is camping under the house during the day.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
If you have carpet in the house you need to kill the flees/eggs there or you will never get rid of them. I had a major flee problem when living in Florida and found a company called "PestX" their product has a high concentration of borax in it. the stuff worked wonders.. Some years later we bought a lake house in GA and the previous owners had a flee problem that they were kind enough to include with the house at no extra charge. PestX again and have been flee free for 10 years.

Never try to teach a pig to sing...
...it wastes your time and annoys the pig!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
just treating the dog won't get it, as others have noted... treat house, treat yard, etc...

I don't know what I'd do if I had to live in a city and small yards and walk the dog around others etc.... drive me nuts likely..

Diatomaceous earth dusted around the yard is "green" and works on them too...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ranger99

i have at least one neighbor that lets their cats run willy-nilly over the neighborhood and spreads them everywhere.
one has to have the exterminator over regularly to have the house sprayed. the same neighbor keeps cat food out
in a dish in their backyard 24/7 and draws all kinds of vermin including big rats. i'm the only one that will treat for
fire ants and rats and other undesirable pests. at one time, the neighbor's cat food was drawing possums regularly.
i caught one a night for 2 weeks in a row. i should also mention the loose cats would come here and sit on the front
porch and leave a deposit of fleas. when i'd walk outside to pick up the newspaper, i'd get fleas all over my legs.
a good regular spraying and other things took care of that. i really don't care to contract any vermin-borne illnesses.

This.

We have a neighbor that HAD quite a few cats, same thing, our dogs are on drops and it didn't matter.

Her daughter has been trapping them and taking them to a guy who wants barn cats so it got a little better ad then me spraying Permethrin in the yard helped to finish them off.

Permethrin is your friend.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I have been using food grade diatomaceous earth on my dogs for years. This stuff is the Hammer of Thor for fleas and ticks. Kills 'em all in about 30 seconds. I am out on the road right now so can't see which brand I have been using.
You dust the dog down with this stuff and it is goodbye to fleas.
I also use that revolution stuff, once every six weeks, but if I find a tick or a flea on the dog I dust 'em up with the diatomaceous.

For flea control in the house, I use a baking pan with water and oil.
Fleas are attracted to light. In a dark room, at night, they will jump towards a light.
So make your living room dark. Plug a little night light into a receptacle a foot off the floor.
Get one of those baking pans, about 15 inches long 10 inches wide, sides 2 inches high. Put it below the light, on the floor.
Put an inch of water in the pan. Put two tablespoons of oil into the water.

All night long the dumb fleas will jump to the light, bounce off and land in the water, and drown in the oil.

This also gives you a census of your flea population. First night you may get 10 fleas.
After a week, you are only getting 5 fleas, you know you are getting somewhere.

I don't like chemical pesticides, I was made sick by the use of pesticides in the house when I was a kid, not gonna spray any Raid inside my house.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by Ranger99

This.

We have a neighbor that HAD quite a few cats, same thing, our dogs are on drops and it didn't matter.

Her daughter has been trapping them and taking them to a guy who wants barn cats so it got a little better ad then me spraying Permethrin in the yard helped to finish them off.

Permethrin is your friend.

Yep! And it's cheap with no known toxicity affects for people or animals when given at recommended doses. Military has been using it for decades. Even considered safe for topical use on children over the age of 2 months. In my experience I've found that it just flat works for a whole host of bad bugs. It is on the World Health Organization's List of Essential Medicines, the most effective and safe medicines needed in a health system.

Here's a 36% concentrate for a little over $20 that will mix up 20-40 gallons depending on what you're treating for. Walmart and Tractor Supply also has concentrates cheap.

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/permethrin-sfr-368-p-445.html

Last edited by ShadeTree; 05/22/17.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Permethrin is what I spray for scorpions with. Works a few months or so, and then we re treat.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am by no means an expert at controlling fleas but when I moved to Ca my dog and the other two dogs here had become INFESTED with fleas earlier this spring. A bath with flea shampoo killed the fleas but it only kept the little bastids off for a few days. I read the label on the flea shampoo and the active ingredient was Permethrin. What remedied the problem was vacuuming the carpet and spraying the carpet and yard with Permethrin. I used an industrial strength product (mixed per instructions) called Ten Guard but I'm sure the brand doesn't matter. We also applied K9 advantix II to the pups.

The added bonus to spraying Permethrin outside is it has helped control spiders and their webs on the patio. I sprayed the cement foundation and corners of the patio and there hasn't been any spiders to speak of.

It's been a little over a month and the fleas have started to reappear so it's time for another full treatment inside and out ... as before.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 1936M71, 16penny, 17CalFan, 50 invisible), 2,751 guests, and 1,178 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,520
Posts18,452,713
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.