Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by 12344mag
If you spray your yard with malathion you will kill the fleas in your yard, most likely were he is getting them unless you take him on runs in the woods and such. Malathion will also get rid of the other pests in your yard such as ticks, chiggers, and skeeters as well.

THIS !!!!!

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
GB1

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I use Diatomaceous Earth in my garden and have dusted the cracks where ants were traveling to my house. It kills insects better than any chemical I can buy without a license. The tick granules they sell at walmart will kill fleas, ticks , and ants. Malathion will kill them if you can buy it. Boric Acid is safe for people and pets and you can use it inside.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If you spray your yard with malathion you will kill the fleas in your yard, most likely were he is getting them unless you take him on runs in the woods and such. Malathion will also get rid of the other pests in your yard such as ticks, chiggers, and skeeters as well.

THIS !!!!!

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Study up to understand the life cycle of fleas...

The Perm kills adults but not eggs...where they live the eggs hatch in a couple of days to two weeks.

Shampoo the dogs and directly spray every square inch of floor or anywhere the dog lays in or out doors every week for a month or two with a garden sprayer or more often if needed.

Whenever you see live adults you need to spray.

Two or three times will sometimes do it, then sprinkle 7 Garden dust or DE or Boraxo around the base board cracks and on the dogs once a week.

Fleas can also go dormant with the eggs living in the carpet or ground for years without hatching.

I used to use a product called Rid-A-Bug that would eliminate fleas in a house with one application of 100% floor areas if the animals were removed.

I think they changed the formula though as it used to have a room clearing smell for a couple of hours.

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks to you all for the help and suggestions. We live in a sub-division and treat the yard monthly and we spray the house but to no avail. He goes to the vet this week and I will ask about alternate medications as some have suggested. These fleas are demons.

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
The vet won't suggest diatomaceous earth, or a water pan and a night light.
Vets make money off of prescriptions and no money off of home remedies.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Squirrelnut
We live in a sub-division and treat the yard monthly and we spray the house but to no avail.

Spraying monthly won't do it...You are not controlling the subsequent generations...it takes aggressive treatment at first. Any live adult fleas will lay more eggs and you will have to start all over again..

You are after total extermination, not control.

The eggs will hatch every 3 days to 2 weeks, so even spraying every week is minimum and may not be enough at first. I'd spray inside every 3 days for the first two weeks, then weekly for the next six weeks. Not necessarily the whole house, but common areas and any area that has fleas present or the dog has access to. That's for indoors, and any favorite spots the dog lays when outdoors.

Bathe or dip the animal every 3 days for the first two weeks and then weekly until you gain a flea free environment. Permethrin has no effect on dog physiology unless the dog has a sensitivity, but then it may be something else in the shampoo. I just mix a half teaspoon of Permethrin in a couple of gallons of water or shampoo and soak the dog's coat. It takes a surprisingly small concentration of Permethrin to kill a flea, but you want the shampoo to stay in the hair for 20 minutes.

I use a hose and nozzle to carefully wash all the shampoo out and make sure there is no residual detergent remaining. That can cause dry skin and hot spots. But I think that can also be bacterial.

With my big dogs with heavy coats towels don't work very well so I take them outside and blow their hair out with an air nozzle on my compressor. I wish I had thought of doing that 30 years ago. It blows any dead fleas and shedding hair off too, and leaves an awesome fluffy look. 10 minutes of 120 psi air with a compressor is better than 10 hours with a brush to remove hair when they are shedding.

Of course you have to be very careful of eyes and noses and ears, but using your hand as a shield and controlling air pressure those areas can be done as well.

Anyway, It takes aggressive treatment for the first month, then a lesser spraying regimen and then the topical monthly treatments will work.

Keep some Borax powder laying around in the baseboards to kill any occasional stragglers.

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Nut, a vet on a dog forum recommends NexGard for the fastest flea kill in a product sold at a vet. Says it isn't as fast a kill for ticks, so for that he recommends Simparica or Bravecto, with the nod going to Simparica for the fastest tick kill. About half the time to kill a tick compared to NexGard, but he seems pretty high on the NexGard for flea kills. Just thought I'd pass that along.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

I also did this when I had a dog.

never wore a flea collar, never sprayed with flea spray, it just works.......

also works on army worms and chinch-bugs....

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
We give our mutts trifexis for heartworms/fleas but also spray Bifen in the yard. It kills or keeps away pretty much all bugs and is approved to spray indoors. I've been using it about 5 years and everybody I've recommended it to uses it. It also keeps mosquitoes out of the yard, something tough to do on the coast The guy that sprays at work said this is the same chemical they would use for monthly/quarterly treatments.

Last edited by lantx005; 05/22/17.
IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Listen to Boogaloo. You've got the break the hatch cycle of the fleas or you'll never get rid of them. That means spraying the yard with your insecticide about every three days for several weeks as new fleas are constantly hatching. You can kill them all once and in a couple of weeks you'll have just as many as you did before as the new ones hatch. You can kill the fleas but you can't kill the eggs so you need to keep after them until all the eggs in your yard have hatched and you've killed the resulting adults. Only then will you get a handle on them.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
i just pick them off.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by stxhunter
i just pick them off.

What Caliber?? Range??

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
long fingernails

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (1lesfox, 11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 57 invisible), 2,898 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,357
Posts18,468,926
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.