-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Have had a summit for a few years, has been on a 30-06 and seen little use.

Put in on my .375 today, took it to the range, and when I was sighting it in, it would impact consistently left of point of aim. Began about 12 inches off and I dialed it until it was 2" to the left and then had no more room to adjust the scope.

I assume I've got a broken scope, but am hoping there is an operator error that I can correct as I'm heading to Africa in several weeks and had hoped to use the scope.

Thanks for any ideas.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would center the reticle in the scope and then use a bore sighter to align the line of sight with the barrel. It sounds like the scope is mounted significantly out of alignment with the axis of the bore.

Last edited by mudhen; 05/21/17.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
By center the reticle, you mean dial the left/right adjustment to mid point? Thanks.

Never had that happen, but am using CZ rings on a BRNO and they do not seem high precision....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Id say you have a base or ring problem

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 163bc

Yep. Burris Signature rings with the offset posi lock inserts may solve this problem. I respectfully do not see what centering the reticle will accomplish if your mounting system is out of alignment.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Yep. Burris Signature rings with the offset posi lock inserts may solve this problem. I respectfully do not see what centering the reticle will accomplish if your mounting system is out of alignment.

Me neither unless it's just to see how far out of alignment you actually are.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
While you'll have to burn a couple rounds of ammo, the easiest way to know if it's a scope problem is to put it back on your other rifle exactly as before. If all is well, then you know it's not the scope.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Me neither unless it's just to see how far out of alignment you actually are.
If you center the reticle and use a bore sighter, you should be able to tell whether or not the scope rings and mounts point the scope more or less parallel to the axis of the barrel. If the vertical crosshairs are not close to those in the bore sighter (or close to the spot, if you use a laser bore sighter) then the problem is with the rings and/or mounts.

It sounds to me like that is exactly the problem, and doing what I suggested will confirm or eliminate misalignment as the source of the problem.

Ben

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 10generation
By center the reticle, you mean dial the left/right adjustment to mid point? Thanks.

Never had that happen, but am using CZ rings on a BRNO and they do not seem high precision....
Yes. Since you already have the reticle turned as far as it will go to the right, turn the adjustment knob all the way back to the left, counting full revolutions and any extra clicks needed to max it out to the left. Then, turn the adjustment halfway back and the vertical crosshair should be centered. Then compare the alignment of the vertical crosshair with the target, be it the vertical crosshair in the bore sighter or the laser spot if you use a laser bore sighter. It they are not close, you may need to get something like the Burris Posi-Locks mentioned above.

Last edited by mudhen; 05/22/17.

Ben

TDN Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Summit actually has a built in rev counter/reticle centering dial in/on the elevation and windage dials themselves. So, unless something went haywire in the optic... just recenter on the dial and then follow the advice above.

"You know why nobody panic buys 30-06 ammo? ... Because men with 30-06's don't panic"
IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
great, thanks.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TDN
The Summit actually has a built in rev counter/reticle centering dial in/on the elevation and windage dials themselves. So, unless something went haywire in the optic... just recenter on the dial and then follow the advice above.

Good to know! I had no idea such a thing existed.

Ben

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Update - I bought a weaver scope mounting kit to make sure alignment of the rings was good. Shot the rifle yesterday - same problem. Ajusted all the way to the right, point of impact is still 3-4" to the left of Point of aim.

Any other ideas? Real bummer.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The Summit is not known for its range of adjustment and you may have not noticed the issue with a different scope. I'd try another scope first with more internal adjustment and if that isn't it--call CS.

Defend the Constitution
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by 10generation
Update - I bought a weaver scope mounting kit to make sure alignment of the rings was good. Shot the rifle yesterday - same problem. Ajusted all the way to the right, point of impact is still 3-4" to the left of Point of aim.

Any other ideas? Real bummer.

The rings may be aligned with each other, but the received is either not aligned with the barrel, or the holes are drilled off center. Burris rings with signature inserts are the answer. PS. The easiest way to get a scope centered is to hold a mirror against the objective. Look through scope and you'll see two reticles. Adjust controls until you see one reticle.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Just to make sure you understand,this is what we are talking about.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/7...inserts-installation-kit-005-010-and-020

I agree that the alignment bars may not be showing you the problem. As dogcatcher said,the rings may be aligned with each other but out of alignment with the bore.

Thanks dog catcher for the reticle alignment trick.I did not know that.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 05/30/17.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
You're welcome. If the scope isn't mounted I just hold it up tight against the bathroom mirror, and adjust. If its mounted you need a little mirror that you can hold tight against objective. Its nice to know you are starting at zero.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (1eyedmule, 19rabbit52, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 62 invisible), 2,853 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,707
Posts18,456,861
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.