Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Trim the barrel back 1.5 inches, put it in a nice light stock like a Brown Precision or HighTech (both have a nicer feel than an Edge), keep the scope light, and you'll be there.

GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
If it were me, I'd choose the EW way before an X-Bolt. The X-Bolts just don't seem to have the quality and the robustness of the Mod 70, IMO.

I have only fondled the X-Bolt, but couldn't warm up to them (even one with a beautiful maple stock). I've had a couple of A-Bolts in the past. They were accurate, but didn't hold up well over time. Maybe Browning stepped up their game on the X-Bolts, but I don't want to spend the $ to find out. I have one other newer Mod 70 - a Classic in 7RM. That is also a sweet shooter!

If you can get them side by side, that would be the best thing.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have an X-Bolt and have had 3 EW's. My X-Bolt is much more accurate than any of the three EW's I've had, especially the last two, which were recent Portugese manufacture and didn't shoot very well at all. The first EW I had was a South Carolina made.30-06, but it was heavier than my X-Bolt in the same caliber, and wasn't quite as accurate, so it moved on down the tracks. I'm​ not sure what failed on the previous poster's A-Bolts over time, but the X-Bolt is a totally different design. I think my X-Bolt is 7 years old now, and has spent a lot of time in the field, not problems so far, just as you would expect from a good hunting rifle.

I will say that the new B&C ultralights that are shipping with current M70's are
lighter and better contoured than the stocks included on the earlier SC made EW's. I like Winchester M70's, and I'll probably try another EW at some point, but having owned both, and others, I don't automatically rate them as superior to rifles like the X-Bolt or Tikka, or Kimber. I'd personally lay hands on a few different options including, an X-Bolt, a Tikka T3/x, an MRC, and a Kimber Hunter before throwing down any cash.

Last edited by Gtscotty; 05/21/17.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
It's been quite some time, but I had one trigger rusted bad enough as to not function (a nice gloss Medallion 243), and a busted trigger guard (a 22 Hornet - seemed a little fragile from what I recall) from a very minor tumble. I do live and hunt in a wet environment though. Like I said, I remember that they were both accurate. I am talking A-Bolts though, and the poster was looking at X-Bolts. Apparently, another poster has had good luck with his X-Bolt.

My 30-06 is an SC gun and shot great right out of the box. The same goes for my Portugal 7RM Classic. I agree that the newer EW's have slimmer stocks than the older lumber that came with the SC EW's.

Good luck in your decision.

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BrowningGuy88
What's the good, the bad and the ugly about the new Model 70 Extreme Weather?

I was all geared up to buy a Kimber Montana, but I held one this morning and wasn't awe struck by it like I thought I would be. I also looked at the M70 and liked the balance and the price seems right for the quality.

So what say you guys? Do you have one? Would you recommend one? Caliber would be 7mm-08.

I have owned a 7-08, 308 and 300WSM EW's and one 7-08 re-barrelled to 260 Remington. I currently own a 223, 6x47 and 6,5x47 84M and an 8400 7WSM, the x47's were re-barreled 7-08 and 308's. To be perfectly honest, I like the 70 Classic action far better than the Montana, they are smoother and no comparison to me.

The B&C stock is a club compared to the Montana or McMillan, and unless you are planning to buy a bunch the EW with a McMillan Edge Fill is a damn good package for a modest cost.

I moved to Montana's for the economics and light weight, a used Montana, if the stock fits right can be less than stainless 700 or 70 action, barrel and stock plus one of the lightest rifles available if that is what a guy wants.

There are a bunch of EW threads in this link.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/7632682/1

Dave

IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (1eyedmule, 19rabbit52, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 62 invisible), 2,849 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,707
Posts18,456,861
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.