Print Thread
Hop To
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I was just on the Hogdon's website and they listed small rifle magnum primers for the 300BO and H110? I don't load for that cartridge but wondered why they did? Just a curiosity to me.

ARIC

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
I use what gives me the best accuracy and could care less what the "label" calls it. i've used a lot of R7.5 which are supposed to be mag strength... lots of M41s and 450s. And lots of BR4s with the 223. And before the WWSR were brass, when they were silver nickel plated I used a lot of them too... FWIW.

IIRC H110 takes a fair fire to light it good, again IIRC.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally ALL small-rifle primers had thin cups, because all the cartridges that took them were relatively low-pressure, none developing pressures over 50,000 PSI. It wasn't until the 1960's, when the .223/5.56 appeared, that the first so-called "magnum" SR primers appeared, and then they were primarily heavier-cupped, not "hotter."

Over the last half-century more thicker-cupped SR appeared, mostly because of more factory cartridges based on the .223 case that operate at over 50,000 PSI. Some are hotter-burning and some are not.

The .300 BO's standard SAAMI maximum average pressure is 55,000 PSI, which aside from powder selection is probably why Hodgdon used a magnum primer.

The primers Jeff lists are all thicker-cupped.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
over the years I have noticed when all of the ar15 guns fire and you eject the next cartridge by hand without firing it, there is a little dent in the center of the cartridge primer from the floating firing pin. Over time I have moved away from federal primers as people always claim they are soft and will slam fire in an ar, not seen it but others here won't use them. So CCI is all I use now in those guns, and its good to know that you can substitute a small rifle magnum primer for a small rifle primer, that knowledge might come in handy someday.

their new CFE BLK looks interesting as well, I see they have a 6.8spc load for it.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
fed will slam fire in an AR. I"ve seen it a few times, had it happen to Carolyn once.

So will the new WWSR primers, I saw that a few times while shooting years ago...

Not very dang often though.....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally ALL small-rifle primers had thin cups, because all the cartridges that took them were relatively low-pressure, none developing pressures over 50,000 PSI. It wasn't until the 1960's, when the .223/5.56 appeared, that the first so-called "magnum" SR primers appeared, and then they were primarily heavier-cupped, not "hotter."

Over the last half-century more thicker-cupped SR appeared, mostly because of more factory cartridges based on the .223 case that operate at over 50,000 PSI. Some are hotter-burning and some are not.

The .300 BO's standard SAAMI maximum average pressure is 55,000 PSI, which aside from powder selection is probably why Hodgdon used a magnum primer.

The primers Jeff lists are all thicker-cupped.

Yep, Johnny Buffalo is spot-on, as usual. Absolutely totally correct.

Most handloaaders assume that magnum small rifle primers are hotter than standard small rifle primers. And that simply is not true. The only difference is the heavier cup ... so that they can withstand higher pressures.

Blessings,

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Well, some of them are hotter. My point was that while "magnum" SR primers aren't always hotter, they're always thicker-cupped--and the primary reason is pressure.

Then again, some "non-magnum" SR primers have thicker cups. It gets confusing!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Johnny Buffalo...I like that

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by navlav8r
Johnny Buffalo...I like that

Yep, my Forever Friend John and Roomie, John, got into the habit of calling me Stevie Prairie Dog, or some such sh1t grin

Anyway, he and I killed Asian water buffalo during the same year. I guess we are "Brothers of the Bull."

Big sonsofbitches, for sure.

Blessings,

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
"Big sonsofbitches, for sure"....Are you referring to the prairie dogs and the water buffalo or you and Johnny B?:-)

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
665 members (163bc, 06hunter59, 09wingates, 007FJ, 160user, 77 invisible), 2,684 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,605
Posts18,398,346
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.